Avantree Interested In Hearing From You

1 hour ago, Redz said:

I would use the earbuds. I use headphones typically so the earbuds would be more convenient.

All I would need is the LE transmitter

Those are not LE Capable they are FS and SBC

11 minutes ago, phrunt said:

This is why they would need to have a range of offerings based upon the LE chipset with very low latency, hopefully 20ms. 

Some prefer ear buds, headphones, a wearable speaker and others the neck band.  If they had the whole range available and the transmitter sold separately or bundled with each option, they would have the detecting market well covered.  The Torus having ear buds as an option is pretty good.

This is our opportunity to provide feedback on an ideal product line that can turn into a product for us, something we would all want to use, a rare opportunity.  

Agree 100% phrunt, Avantree needs every ones input on this, they are open to trying to produce a product for us detectorist and understand the importance of very Low Latency, so everyone pitch in your ideas

35 minutes ago, DSMITH said:

Those are not LE Capable they are FS and SBC

You are correct about the phones pictured, but my understanding from Avantree's post was Avantree was simply offering those existing FS/SBC neckband phones up as a visual stand-in for a future BT LE variant Avantree is considering with the same form factor in order to gage detectorist interest in that form factor, so I think that's what Redz was responding to.

Regarding that form factor - I like neckband style as it captures the buds in the event one falls out in the field (vs. true wireless), but I like all the controls to be limited to the neckband itself.  I dislike control modules hanging off the earbud wires.  It makes them feel unbalanced and regardless of how light and compact those modules are, they inevitably tug on the earbud and tend to dislodge it, especially if you are fiddling with the the control module to adjust a setting which is annoying and distracting.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Chase Goldman said:

My understanding from Avantree's post was Avantree was offering those existing FS/SBC neckband phones up as a visual stand-in for a future BT LE variant Avantree is considering with the same form factor to gage detectorist interest in that form factor, so I think that's what Redz was responding to.

Regarding that form factor - I like neckband style as it captures the buds in the event one falls out in the field (vs. true wireless), but I like all the controls to be limited to the neckband itself.  I dislike control modules hanging off the earbud wires.  It makes them feel unbalanced and regardless of how light and compact those modules are, the tug on the earbud and tend to dislodge it, especially if you are fiddling with the the control module to adjust a setting.

I do understand what Avantree is doing Chase, I probably should have added a bit more when I replied to Redz stating what you just did but I was just trying to let him know that currently those are FS and SBC just in case he was wondering

• Like 1

Earbuds are completely out for me, on-ear backphones or bone conduction are now my standard favorite. The D2 has a cable for connecting audio to something, why not a wireless low latency transceiver for matching bone conduction headphones?

I don't like over-ear headphones at all, especially after seeing a black bear out hunting a few days ago. 😬

• Like 2

You ask a dozen people and you are going to get two dozen preferences.  I like to think about a request like this more globally instead of shutting down certain options because of my own personal preferences (for example, some need the noise isolation and comfort in extreme hot or cold environments that earbuds or over the ear headphones provide while others need situational awareness and comfort, hence bonephones or a neck speaker).  Different stokes for different folks, all valid.  Therefore, I think the best approach by Avantree would be to provide choices or products like a rugged Torus unit that can get wet and provide the option between isolation or situational awareness and recognize that some users will require multiple products depending on the type of detecting they are doing and when/where they are doing it.  For example, some may wear bone phones in the summer and over the ear phones in winter.  

Stepping away from form factor, it's clear there are some essential characteristics needed for metal detecting wireless audio products:  Low Latency (lowest possible), strong wireless signal not subject to dropouts due to wireless device placement, devices that do not introduce additional detector EMI, devices with good fidelity and dynamic range and a large adjustable range for volume (having a way to quicky mute the output is a bonus), physically rugged, water/dust resistant, long battery life and quick refresh recharging, integrated loudspeaker or modular speaker add-on options, and jacks to provide wired headphone/speaker capability or ability to convert the wireless phones into wired phones, universal physical connectivity, multiple device connectivity/multi-point (ability to connect a single headset to different devices at the same time to accommodate wireless detectors and pinpointers as well as to accommodate switching Detectors in the field without having to also switch your wireless audio gear).

I envision a metal detector centric wireless audio eco system with the above features and capabilities incorporated across a line of devices that are compatible with each other, as needed, including:

A weatherproof and low profile and Low Latency transmitter that can be easily plugged into any detector headphone jack without worrying about it getting wet, flopping around, getting tangled on brush etc.  Something that has physical protection, barely protrudes from the jack but that can be easily grasped for removal.  I should have all day or multi-day battery life (this goes for all the devices below,  as well).

A low latency receiver that can accept any wired headphone plug (even USB C audio plugs), that is rugged and weatherproof with appropriate physical attachment points (or a holder or case) to enable it to be placed wherever you want it and a provision for an external speaker or a detachable speaker module.

A rugged Torus like Neck Speaker with built in Buds like Torus that can also survive an occasional soaking. Aux in/out ports would be a welcome feature too.

Neckband earbuds with no controls hanging off the bud wires.

Waterproof Full Size wireless phones that can be used in wired mode and muted or switched between two receivers (can be used with multiple wireless accessories such as detector and pinpointer) as well as wireless multipoint.

Low latency wireless bone phones or air conduction phones with multipoint.

Perhaps a set of compatible true wireless IP rated Buds.

• Like 4

8 hours ago, DSMITH said:

Redz stating what you just did but I was just trying to let him know that currently those are FS and SBC just in case he was wondering

Thanks. I was aware from the post.

• Like 1

Correct, we are gauging interest in a preferred form factor for a wireless listening device.

Of course, everyone will have different preferences. Nevertheless, your preferences are still extremely valuable feedback for us when we're considering the next product to develop.

It sounds like the Torus is popular for a reason. The aptX Low Latency combined with the mixed form factor (neckband speaker and earbuds) makes it a versatile pick. An upgraded Torus is one of the frontrunners for our next product idea, along with aptX Low Latency / FastStream bone conduction headphones, and NB18 style neckband earbuds.

Unfortunately, according to our engineers, it doesn't seem like making a Bluetooth LE Audio transmitter is possible at the moment. We'll likely have to roll with either atpX Low Latency or FastStream.

• Like 3

The benefit to sticking to aptx-LL is it will pair with existing detectors that also use the technology such as the Equinox 800, GPX 6000 and Nokta Legend, amongst many others.

Faststream doesn't seem ideal as with many detectors already incorporating aptx LL it just seems the better choice when both have the same latency just for compatibility reasons.

The latency of aptx-LL is great for most people, few complain about lag, ensuring it has a good antenna in the new Torus upgrade is a must for stability of audio.

Some new detectors like the Manticore have moved to LE audio however it appears they've customized it and a standard pair of LE headphones can't connect to it.

The products you have in the pipeline sound great, a full range of accessories to suit detectors.  

• Like 2

Yeah Wiggins the Torus here downunder is probably the most used by serious detector operators BT neckband, personally I dont see any need for latency any lower than atpX, to add to Phrunts post the Torus aint broke.... please dont phase it out unless the product replacing it can do as well for us and is compatible with our detectors.

PS We find a good pair of non-metal long lasting comfortable boots and when they wear out they are no longer available to purchase, I beg you please don`t let the Torus go that way😉

• Like 2