Which Coil(s) Do You Use On Your 6000?

2 minutes ago, Gold Catcher said:

Thanks. I think the difference might be more significant with gold at depth in hot soil. The ground processing of the Z is unmatched IMO, and even smaller super D coils can hear targets rather deep. 

GC

Yes, no doubt the DOD coils are impressive and more so the higher the ground is mineralised.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, RONS DETECTORS MINELAB said:

The 17 x 13 is no slouch even though its not far behind the 11" on multi-gram bits, just have to lower sensitivity to manual 2 or 3 to handle the ground and EMI chatter and get that smooth threshold.

Yes, as the tiniest piece that I have detected with the 17x13 coil on the 6000 has been a 0.08 gram and with the 11 coil a 0.03 gram.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Gold Catcher said:

.....the NF 12x7 is more stable in my hands. And without significant sensitivity loss compared to the stock 11. 

I have compared my 11 coil to my friend with the NF12x7 coil on my tiniest 0.03 gram piece and both produced the same result.

However, the 12x7 will poke into tight places that the 11 cannot go or reach too.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, goldenoldie said:

A result, I have between the GPZ7000 in Difficult/ General with its 14 coil to the GPX6000 in Difficult / Auto + with the 17x13 coil on an Aussie 50c coin, was the same.  

Out of interest, what made you use a cupro-nickel coin with 75% copper, 25% nickel weighing 15.55 grams and being almost 3.2cm diameter as a test target?   That Australian 50 cent coin is absolutely huge and a painful thing for any wallet to have to endure, likely contributed the demise of cash transactions in Australia. 🙂

VLF's slam on that coin in the air and can match a PI with similar size coils.

28 minutes ago, phrunt said:

Out of interest, what made you use a cupro-nickel coin with 75% copper, 25% nickel weighing 15.55 grams and being almost 3.2cm diameter as a test target?  

Yes, it was a 50c cupro-nickel coin and what I found interesting was this coin recorded a similar test result to that 4" x 2" x 3/8" Aluminium Block that I posted a pic of it in that comparison Video thread discussion. 

Therefore, I expect one could use this 50c coin to replicate a sizable piece of gold. 

Also, from my results then this 50c coin produced a few inches more than Chet's results with the USA $50 dollar 99% gold coin, when using the same three standard coils that come with the 6000. 

I think both coins are somewhat similar in dimensions.?

For a while the Aus. 5 cent was the most common test sample used for MineLab detectors. The advantage of using a known coins is that they are consistent in size and metal contents. They can be used for comparing coils, detectors, and depth with others. The 50 cent bit is closer to the size of nuggets I like🤑 4 ounce or greater.  

• Like 2

Ive used and owned the stock 11, the stock 14DD, the Coiltek 10x5 and the NF 12x7.  The 10x5 had a minor edge in sensitivity (best of any coil) but was similar in noise characteristics to the stock 11 mono. The NF 12x7 now rarely leaves my detector.... easily the quietest coil and whisper signals are more easily heard. No wonder NF can't keep up with demand and the other sizes aren't available yet because of it.

• Like 3

Coiltek can make coils significantly faster than Nugget Finder can, no doubt if they were as small of a company with a single vital employee to build their coils, they couldn't keep up with demand either.  I believe there are a number of factors why the other sizes haven't come out, demand for the 12x7" maybe one of them but certainly not the only one.  

I don't think there is a bad 6000 coil on the market, all available options are pretty good for their intended uses so for me the reason for needing the size/type of coil is more of a factor than the brand of coil I use, if I want deeper stuff while maintaining small gold sensitivity I'd pick the 11" over the 10x5" and 12x7", it I want tiny stuff I'd use the 10x5", a middle ground is the 12x7", deeper bigger stuff the 17x13" makes the most sense.  6000 owners are just lucky to have a good range of coils already for it.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, phrunt said:

I believe there are a number of factors why the other sizes haven't come out, demand for the 12x7" maybe one of them but certainly not the only one.  

100% correct Simon.... I think we both know the dramas that occurred early last year. I believe the word 'Clusterf&%k' has been used more than once.... 😁

9 hours ago, Aureous said:

100% correct Simon.... I think we both know the dramas that occurred early last year. I believe the word 'Clusterf&%k' has been used more than once.... 😁

You mean coming to terms with multiple close family members passing away from Covid, then getting Covid themselves, whilst trying to run a business?  All the while working stupidly long hours with a back injury!

I think it’s pretty well established the GPX 6000 pushes PI to the very edge and as such the tolerances on everything associated with it are extremely tight, subsequently very simple things during manufacture can have a big impact on the product. NF set the bar extremely high with their products and honour their warranties (THAT is NOT saying other manufacturers don’t BTW). Minelab do the same but still things go wrong and they have an army of engineers to work on solutions. 

The 12x7 is popular because of that bar being set very high and creating a differentiation. From NF’s POV the aim was to push the manual sensitivity control as high as possible, the higher you can get that manual control the more information you can get from edge of detection targets and the quieter the experience is for the operator, so the 12x7 coil was designed from the ground up to do exactly that. I know because I had many discussions with NF about this very subject throughout the design process, including carrying that over to the 16x10 when it becomes available.

To achieve this required huge amounts of R&D and field testing, people on the outside only see the release dates being pushed back they don’t see the agony of the constant hurdles being thrown in the way as one niggle is sorted to then discover another. Yes it’s not a good look and it’s not ideal and customers are frustrated and impatient, but unless the coil meets the standards it will not be released. Every coil that leaves the factory has to be exactly the same as the others as possible or it’s a fail and even then things can go wrong.

I don’t speak for NF but I do know a lot of the backstory and the stress and toll it’s taken to get the 12x7 Xceed to where it is today, that coil is a testament to Rohans determination to get things right. Sure the situation isn’t ideal and I get that I’m often chided for backing companies against the little guy, it’s very hard not to when you see and know the full story of what’s involved on a personal level.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1