Reunited 400 Years Later And A Heavy Weight, Cannonball Update

Cannon Ball update:

Brought it home today, cleaned it up a bit with a stainless grill brush.

It doesn't appear to have a British "Broad Arrow" or a French Fleur de Lis, so it's probably American. I still think it was an errant shot from a ship during the Revolution, judging from where I found it, it's corrosion, and the fact that it was almost 2 feet deep in the farm.

20240221_151841.thumb.jpg.94afa9e4ab00f6ef9d6556bb3f2c21d0.jpg

By this it looks to be 4.5 inches wide, maybe a little more. I tried to calculate a diameter with a tape and came up with 4.39 inches, but it appears larger than that.20240221_143342.thumb.jpg.42b8ab50b9a6e219d94288c12883208f.jpgit looks to have a seam.

Next my wife donated a bag to the cause, I weighed it on a fish scale again after removing some of the crud.

20240221_143947.thumb.jpg.499b952b2c475bfbe21d6817f0c0ac17.jpg

It's around 12 pounds.20240221_143957.thumb.jpg.5af1bbdcabcf672d4c7fa4c25684e899.jpg

I saw a video where soaking it in vinegar was an option, I don't have the desire to fool with electrolysis.

Any other ideas?

1 hour ago, F350Platinum said:

I tried to calculate a diameter with a tape and came up with 4.39 inches, but it appears larger than that.

If pure iron, the weight shown (11.5 lb) would mean a diameter of 4.26 inches for a perfect sphere (with a bit of uncertainty given the uncertainty of the weight measurement). 

If you bring two large rectangular blocks to either side, everything on a flat surface, and measure the distance between them (carefully removing the ball if necessary) you'll get a more reliable diameter measurement than trying to read a tape behind the ball or deducing the diameter from measuring it's circumference.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, GB_Amateur said:

If you bring two large rectangular blocks to either side, everything on a flat surface, and measure the distance between them

Thanks GB, that's a great idea. I do have some 4x4 blocks. I'll make sure the distance between them is even by measuring at the ends. 👍

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, F350Platinum said:

Thanks GB, that's a great idea. I do have some 4x4 blocks. I'll make sure the distance between them is even by measuring at the ends. 👍

You can also use two books which is how I did it with my cannonball.  

• Like 2

Distilled White Vinegar works well on iron relics.

• Thanks 1

To alleviate confusion between cannon bore diameter and standard solid shot diameter/weight and variations in iron alloy specific densities, check the various tables at Historical Publications LLC site https://www.historicalpublicationsllc.com/cannon-bore-shot-shell-canister-and-grape-shot-diameters-for-rifled-and-smoothbore-cannon/article_7776287a-e5be-11ec-a0c1-5b319e800f0a.html.  That information is consistent with information posted by L David Keith earlier in the thread.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Chase Goldman said:

The table below is consistent with information posted by L David Keith

Thanks Chase,

This is important, @L David Keith was the deciding factor in retrieving this artifact, I left it there because I could not glean this information well, he provided specific information that gave me the confidence to pick it up. I didn't want to get "blowed up real good".

EeMy4KiX0A817Bc.jpg.33bbd5e463f64695b6b77ddf4cffdf8f.jpg

Seriously, if you're not certain that ordinance is inert, be careful. I left this find for a while hoping the rain would wash it off and expose any kind of fuse mechanism, and even now that I am certain it is a solid ball, I still handle it with care. 

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, JCR said:

Distilled White Vinegar works well on iron relics.

Thanks JCR, I've got a bucket and I'll get a gallon. 😀 "Rural Electrolysis"...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, F350Platinum said:

Thanks Chase,

This is important, @L David Keith was the deciding factor in retrieving this artifact, I left it there because I could not glean this information well, he provided specific information that gave me the confidence to pick it up. I didn't want to get "blowed up real good".

EeMy4KiX0A817Bc.jpg.33bbd5e463f64695b6b77ddf4cffdf8f.jpg

Seriously, if you're not certain that ordinance is inert, be careful. I left this find for a while hoping the rain would wash it off and expose any kind of fuse mechanism, and even now that I am certain it is a solid ball, I still handle it with care. 

Yep.  It is important to not take chances with potential live ordnance, regardless of how long its been in the ground.  If you have good confirmation of solid shot based on weight and volume, then you're good to go.

• Like 2