Go Small Or Go Home - 9" Gets The Silver

6 hours ago, ColonelDan said:

Superโ€ฆ..yet again.๐Ÿ˜€
Iโ€™m running out of superlatives my friend!!!!๐Ÿ˜‰

Thanks Colonel,

Well you can always rave about the pull tabs... ๐Ÿ˜ The one I dug was almost a relic. ๐Ÿ˜‰

One of the things both Chase and I have enjoyed about these places is that despite their being heavily detected in the past, there are still tidbits to be found. Thankfully older machines of many types did not have the capabilities of the latest, and also skill is a factor. Some of the things I find, especially silver, make me wonder.

I feel I still have a long way to go, but sticking with one machine and learning every capability gives me an edge.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, JCR said:

Excellentย 

Thanks JCR,

I didn't know what an oyster knife was until I moved here, I still don't like oysters but am interested in the history of any knife. If what I suspect is true, this may be a very early one and would possess more historic interest than the coin.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Doc Bach said:

You Da MAN!๐Ÿ˜Ž

Thanks Doc,

Hope nobody gets tired of my frequent posts. ๐Ÿ˜ฌ

These cut coin bits are everywhere here, I have a few that were my first finds. They generally have to be picked out of heavily trashed spots.

I'm particularly a fan of the Tombacs, both examples are very nice and one still has the shank, an odd find for a 300 year old button.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Valens Legacy said:

I'm at a loss for words, so I will reuse some that I have stated before.

Excellent finds again for your books.

Just wish I could get back out there, the weather has kept me home since I have gotten over a nasty cold.

Good luck on your next hunt and stay safe out there.

Thanks VL,

Sorry about your cold, and theย cold where you are. Weather has kept me in more than I'd like, but I had hand warmers and other things to get by. I hope you get a chance to get out there.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Sinclair said:

Awesome!

I always wanted to give the 9" a run on the hightly trash pulluted beach areas after the big storm last year, but I always ended up using the 11" in fear of missing the deep stuff. Now everything is sanded back in and I kind of regret I didn't try ๐Ÿ™„

Thanks Sinclair!

Consider this: does depth really matter in heavy trash? I heard as many as 10 separate sounds with every sweep of the 13", it would have been a symphony in full tones. Relic has 2 - good and bad. I use high square which helps me identify some aluminum.

You can set tone breaks, but really you're going for anyย  good stuff in the crap, luckily in this place I know that any good signal is either false or a good find.

The coin was only about 2cm deep, I did get some stuff as deep as 20cm and there was iron always with it or nearby. I don't often have to worry about depth anyway with only ~400 years of history, but a smaller coil gets you between things. It is why I would like XP to give us a 9x5 coil.

ย 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Daniel Tn said:

Excellent man!!ย ย 

Thanks Daniel,

I hope you're getting a chance to get out now and again, I know y'all had a drought for a while and now it's cold.

1 hour ago, RickUK said:

Some really tremendous finds,i am finding hat in the last 2-3 years almost all my everyday and non specific use coils are going much smaller mainly due to very trashy roman and saxon sites that i detect on.....i have alot of large and very large coils these days just sitting around gathering dust.....once again very well done on the find of the day.

Thanks Rick,

For me the 13" does a great job picking out targets in spots that have a mild amount of junk, and allows me to cover a lot of ground fast, but it's great to use the 9" when it's extreme. I suspect that in at least two areas of this farm there were structures that pre-date maps.

Ground Balance was set at 75 and stayed there, for once I was surprised at how small an object I'd find with the machine properly balanced. Some times you'll see G. ID at a different number than set, but this time it didn't change. I enjoy extremely mild soil.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, F350Platinum said:

ย 

Ground Balance was set at 75 and stayed there, for once I was surprised at how small an object I'd find with the machine properly balanced. Some times you'll see G. ID at a different number than set, but this time it didn't change. I enjoy extremely mild soil.

Good work F350! The real is a great find but I really do like the oyster knife blade. You can just picture someone shucking oysters right there. You mention that the GB was "set at 75". Is that where it naturally read because of your mild soils or did you set it manually to 75?

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Lodge Scent said:

Good work F350! The real is a great find but I really do like the oyster knife blade. You can just picture someone shucking oysters right there. You mention that the GB was "set at 75". Is that where it naturally read because of your mild soils or did you set it manually to 75?

I find I need to manually balance the D2 here, at 87 (the default) it tends to "hear" ground contours, and small objects are missed. There are a lot of really small tack items and buttons. I've had instances where I've found stuff that wasn't there before GB.

Most would not believe the ground we get to dig in here, when conditions are right.

It impressed me that it stayed that way yesterday.

• Like 1

I bought my D2 with the 9" coil, havent been out with it much but when I did go out I seemed to be picking up targets that my Legend with the 11"; stock coil missed.ย 

I can see myself getting the 11/13 coil at some point but for now I want to learn the D2.ย 

My reasoning for getting the 9" was that, in my experience, most, nearly all good finds I have made were less than 6' and most places I am searching around a lot of iron and foil so separation is important.

Look forward to learning the D2 and seeing how she does.ย 

• Like 1