Go Small Or Go Home - 9" Gets The Silver

47 minutes ago, Dirtshark said:

My reasoning for getting the 9" was that, in my experience, most, nearly all good finds I have made were less than 6' and most places I am searching around a lot of iron and foil so separation is important.

Good plan, I recommend the 13" over the 11" after spending a long time with each. For some reason the 13" feels superior  regrading separation, it may be a bit heavier but you get used to it.

I started out with the 9" myself, it's a great coil but some of the places I go are really large fields, and I can cover a lot of area faster with the big coil. It also hits coins very deep at the beach.

33 minutes ago, NCtoad said:

Hell yeah Bob!   Any 1700’s silver is impressive!!  

Thanks NC, been hitting the really old stuff lately, I think I picked the right tool for the job. A gold ring and now this coin from the same time period in a month! The D2 has been really good to me. 🙂

I'm fortunate to have these possibilities under my coil, I hope y'all understand that it's mostly where I am looking that this happens. 🤔

• Like 1

I've been wondering if the Deus could help where the Equinox has been.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Mark Gillespie said:

I've been wondering if the Deus could help where the Equinox has been.

I have an Equinox 600 with the 10x5, and my answer would be "not necessarily". I believe I have been over this spot with the Equinox, but it was a long time ago.

I will comment that with V2 on the Deus 2, it far exceeds the accuracy (once you get used to it) than I ever achieved with the Equinox. I'm beginning to see that in making my Deus sound and act more like my Equinox is not as good as exploiting the nature of the Deus itself, the Relic program particularly. Using that program I only change the audio type to make it more pleasing to my ears, and vary its response speed.

I do wish XP would give us a thinner elliptical, that 10x5 on the Equinox was incredible. I may bring it to this spot to compare the coil yet again. The only issue is that I don't have the control over the audio with it like I do the Deus.

• Like 3

Very interesting to say the least.

I've had my Equinox 800 since they were first released and always wondered if the Deus would out do it at old sites.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Mark Gillespie said:

Very interesting to say the least.

I've had my Equinox 800 since they were first released and always wondered if the Deus would out do it at old sites.

Well let's say it certainly is more configurable, a lot lighter, and way more waterproof. 🙂 In Virginia it's the top dog for relic hunting in mild soil places like mine. The sites I have permission to are as old as ~1640.

• Like 1

On 2/1/2024 at 7:23 PM, Mark Gillespie said:

Well I set out to answer that question for you today, it was cold and cloudy but not windy.

20240202_102714.thumb.jpg.3d20cfa0c560c4b600567fccfa56002e.jpg

Took the Equinox with the Coiltek 10x5", and my Deus 2 with the 9" to the spot where I found all the stuff in this thread randomly searching. It's a fairly large carpet of junk and nails, probably 100'x75'. I believe there was a building there long ago.

I grid searched the spot with the Equinox first, then the Deus. I figured I'd give the Equinox every chance to find what there was, and then try the Deus again.

The Equinox was in Park 1, 50 tones, 24 sensitivity, recovery speed 3, and F2=3. It ground balanced at 33. Even at that level of sensitivity it didn't wrap much.

The Deus 2 was in Relic mode, sensitivity 95, notch 00-00, reactivity 2. It ground balanced at 75, 12 points below default of 87.

Here are the results, I found some stuff including a 1908 IHP.

20240202_182154.thumb.jpg.ba6d8851a31120fa14c12c465e46bcad.jpg

I went over the same spot with the D2, and "cleaned up".

The very nice fully cast Tombac with a cast shank was a 5 on the Equinox, and a 43 on the Deus. Both detectors would have found it. The stuff I found with the Deus should have been found by both, so maybe I wasn't covering the ground as well as I could have. 🤷‍♂️

My conclusion is this:

Both detectors do quite well in this environment, I think each one separates very well in fairly dense iron trash. Depth is identical, most stuff isn't that deep here anyway, and the soil is not mineralized at all. Both false on some iron. I've always loved my Equinox, and am fully confident I can get most unmasked objects in any given area with it.

I have tested both of these detectors on a board with nails over a silver coin, and really there is no difference, both do not hit the coin, even with the iron discriminated. "Unmasking"? Nope. Heh, the only one that passed that test perfectly was my Tesoro Vaquero. 🤣

So why would I get a Deus 2?

First thing is ergonomics, it didn't take long for my hand to fatigue and hurt in a much-remembered way with the Equinox, after 2 hours I was ready to switch. 😵 I have large hands, but not extra large.

Next is weight, it's the lightest detector in the world.

I don't know of many detectors that are certified to 60+ feet underwater, so there's that. I can count on it. Add the new RCDIGS mount, and there are no worries at all.

The audio options on the Deus are incredible, I think there are competitors now like the Legend and the Manticore, but I do not own either of them.

The options for conditions are also incredible on the Deus, again there may be competition now, but see all of the above for advantages. I do like the simplicity of the Equinox.

Really that is it, the Equinox 600/800 (I presume the 800 because I never had one) and the Deus 2 are both fine detectors, and both find metal well. 😀

It's up to the reader to decide.

• Like 4

On 1/31/2024 at 10:36 AM, F350Platinum said:

Consider this: does depth really matter in heavy trash?

I kept away from those areas with the 11" of course 😉

It's not like the whole beach was trashy - more like patches with exposed rocks, where all the stuff got caught. Tons of tent stakes etc.., but definitely good stuff, too. You "just" have to listen and go slow 😁 I'll take the small coil with me and look out, if there are still some patches. The weather is subpar atm. No hunting for 3 weeks I guess.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1