Too High Gold ID Problem

Have you 

Just now, Skull diver said:

@JCR @EL NINO77

This is what happened today.

I started the session with D2 in a promising area.

About two hours and two medium-sized rings (both under 5 grams).

Tool change and back in the water with the Excalibur.

After two minutes I dig out the third snake-shaped ring, perhaps the thinnest and lightest of the three.

This is overwhelming evidence that a screen and an ID, can make a difference if they respond correctly to the object, but as long as you dig outside the range of interest, you lose useful time for other targets.

I fear I will soon have to fall back on yet another detector and the choice is really narrow.

IMG_20240212_165517.jpg

Have you tried the X-Y display on Deus or the possibly the 2-D display on Manticore?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Chase Goldman said:

Have you tried the X-Y display on Deus or the possibly the 2-D display on Manticore?

Xy screen remains for me as a last option.

Poor visibility does not allow me to check the screen effectively.

I have been used to discriminating based on audio alone since 2005.

I have tried 4 square tones, pitch tone, full tones with minimal offset to keep signal peaks low, but it remains difficult not to dig high tones without thinking of losing gold.

I hope the graphic representation can give me at least an idea of the shape.

Regarding the Manticore, I am still strongly accustomed to the Ctx with which I really did record numbers in the past.
The dividing line of the nonferrous really echoes the discrimination pattern of the Ctx, and for now I would rule out buying it because of the limited depth at which to dive it.

• Like 2

With CTX, it is worthwhile to use channel 10-11 for greater CTX sensitivity to smaller or finer targets...

the difference in detection is visible,,,

• Like 3

53 minutes ago, Skull diver said:

@JCR @EL NINO77

This is what happened today.

I started the session with D2 in a promising area.

About two hours and two medium-sized rings (both under 5 grams).

Tool change and back in the water with the Excalibur.

After two minutes I dig out the third snake-shaped ring, perhaps the thinnest and lightest of the three.

This is overwhelming evidence that a screen and an ID, can make a difference if they respond correctly to the object, but as long as you dig outside the range of interest, you lose useful time for other targets.

I fear I will soon have to fall back on yet another detector and the choice is really narrow.

IMG_20240212_165517.jpg

If you are in the right place, a digital detector with a good range can very easily beat ... an analog or digital detector without VDI display...

I have been dealing with this topic for several years, also because I prefer to use digital detectors from VDI Identifications.

First of all.. it is a very selective detection where we want to detect the correct targets in one place... and at the same time dig up a minimal amount of non-ferrous waste...

I always take this feature into consideration with every detector I use...

Skull Diver,,congratulations too on finding 3 nice rings...:smile:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Skull diver said:

Regarding the Manticore, I am still strongly accustomed to the Ctx with which I really did record numbers in the past.
The dividing line of the nonferrous really echoes the discrimination pattern of the Ctx, and for now I would rule out buying it because of the limited depth at which to dive it.

Well, the Manticore is rated to 5 meters vs. 3 meters for the CTX.  But neither of those is 20 meters like the Deus 2 or 60+ meters like the Excalibur II.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Chase Goldman said:

Manticore is rated to 5 meters vs. 3 meters for the CTX.

Although ID allocation is more suitable for me, I am highly skeptical about the hardware's resistance to pressure.

Years ago, in just over three meters below the surface, the Ctx screen had a red dot in the middle of the screen due to pressure.

Needless to say, I came out with a fracture line in the crystals.

Another damaged component was the speaker, first less effective, then corroded and mute.

For goodness sake, I never used any detector without headphones, which is why I did not care at all.

To conclude, the batteries at the tail end of the armrest, are only related to the protection of an o ring a few tenths thicker...

Never used lithium again, after every flooding I just cleaned and applied grease to the contacts of the alkaline box.

8 hours ago, EL NINO77 said:

dig up a minimal amount of non-ferrous waste...

Exactly 💯.

Everyone talks about iron and masking, but the serious issue is shortening the time to dig on unneeded or unwanted targets.

For me, with discrimination at or near zero, a tone that declares iron is more than fine.

No need for filters of any kind except to reduce saline hypersensitivity noise, otherwise immersed in water with zero EMI and away from other divers everything is ok.

This flaw of such a large scale on low conductors is giving me serious problems.

This pulls down all the advantage of detection depth that I got with a 9" coil😑

• Like 2

I just contacted XP via the assitance form on their portal reporting the need to reduce the concentration of low conductors between 30 minimum and 60 maximum points.
I hope to get an answer to my question, whatever it may be.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Skull diver said:

I just contacted XP via the assitance form on their portal reporting the need to reduce the concentration of low conductors between 30 minimum and 60 maximum points.
I hope to get an answer to my question, whatever it may be.

14/02/2024 Last update by Xp factory:

No changes will be made to the ID range.
I have been advised to dig the higher IDs otherwise I'll risk losing signet rings.

Thanks to all of you who have responded and cooperated with advice on how to remedy the problem, but apparently we will stay that way--at least on the Deus2.

Skull 

• Like 2

I conclude this post with one last report on how I am dealing with this problem....

Remembering once again that I could never promote one brand over another, to sweeten the bitter pill I fixed a different program by tightening the tone bins, this time in 5 tones (square obliged by underwater headphones).

Although I preferred full tones for a distinction of signal stability, this time an uncertain ID is within 20 maximum points between bin and bin, with a gradual upward spike toward the highest IDs.

I found it useful to lower the audio response to 3 or 2 in favor of higher general and salt sensitivity.

I also totally reset the audio filter from 1 to 0 for a more crisp sound when above the target.

I won't be sure of the effectiveness until next Friday, the first useful day to safely dive, but we'll see.

I will make use of the good old rule, raising the coil on signals with high id, to distinguish the quality of sound on low conductors, which generally do not respond as loudly over 12".

Thanks again to all of you.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1