Axiom And Carrot Interference

This is probably an "oh duh" topic for more experienced detectorists, but I ran into it, so I thought somebody might benefit.  It could be an issue for other PI detectors besides the Axiom.

When running your frequency scan on the Axiom, turn on your pinpointer first.  I recently bought the Garrett "Carrot" Pro-pointer with z-link and I found that right around channels (45-47) there is interference from my Carrot on the Axiom.  I'd never thought to do this until one day when the Axiom picked channel 46 and then I turned on the pinpointer which resulted in noisy chatter between Axiom and Carrot. 

So I've added another step to my startup process.

1. Put on a coil.
  2. Turn on the pinpointer
  3. Factory reset the Axiom
  4. Run frequency scan on the Axiom
  5. Set the Axiom up for ground conditions & preferences
  • Like 5

Yea I have trouble with the carrot interfering with the Axiom. I've tried what you posted above and the very next time I turn on the carrot the Axiom goes nuts again. My carrott doesn't have z-lynk, so maybe that's the difference.

• Like 1

I use the Quest X Pointer Max with the Magic Holster and I do the same thing when doing my frequency scan on the Axiom turn on the X pointer max and then perform the frequency scan, once the Axiom is finished with the frequency scan I just put the X pointer max in the Magic Holster which put the X pointer max in Stand by mode, have not had any issues of interference between either of them  

Both the GPX 4500 and GPX 6000 have no issues with carrot. My Axion on the other hand does. Relic hunting the other day I did a noise cancel twice with the pinpointer on. Then turn it off until I found the next target. As soon as I turned the pinpointer on the Axiom went nuts again. I finally just started turning the Axiom off while I pinpointed the target in the bottom of the hole. Not a huge deal, but is a little frustrating.

10 hours ago, abenson said:

Both the GPX 4500 and GPX 6000 have no issues with carrot. My Axion on the other hand does. Relic hunting the other day I did a noise cancel twice with the pinpointer on. Then turn it off until I found the next target. As soon as I turned the pinpointer on the Axiom went nuts again. I finally just started turning the Axiom off while I pinpointed the target in the bottom of the hole. Not a huge deal, but is a little frustrating.

Mine does not do that. What you are basically saying is the pinpointer is changing frequency after being turned off and back on. Or that the Axiom is shifting in frequency while running. Might be worth a query to Garrett.

1 hour ago, Steve Herschbach said:

Mine does not do that. What you are basically saying is the pinpointer is changing frequency after being turned off and back on. Or that the Axiom is shifting in frequency while running. Might be worth a query to Garrett.

Yea I probably should have Garrett take a look. Weird thing is it only happens when the headphones are connected to the Axiom. If I don't use headphones there's no issue. Maybe the headphones are the issue. Or maybe I should just by a z-lynk pinpointer.

23 minutes ago, abenson said:

Yea I probably should have Garrett take a look. Weird thing is it only happens when the headphones are connected to the Axiom. If I don't use headphones there's no issue. Maybe the headphones are the issue. Or maybe I should just by a z-lynk pinpointer.

The headphones are doing some frequency hopping thing so that is probably what is going on. Ironically that feature is billed as preventing interference. I'd check with Garrett for suggestions on how to maybe sequence things properly to fix the issue. I usually don't use headphones or often use wired so that is why I would not encounter it, plus not using a pinpointer with the Axiom a lot I could have just missed the issue the times I do use the wireless headphones.

"Frequency-Hopping Technology—Creates an infinite number of channels to prevent interference with nearby headphones and wireless devices."

• Like 2

1 hour ago, abenson said:

Andrew - I'll add my 2 cents, I have the Z-lynk Carrot and it works well with the Axiom.  I had also previously invested in the Z-lynk TX/receiver kit so that I could plug in my preferred phones when using Z-lynk with the GPX.  So with Axiom, I just use the Z-lynk carrot and plug my phones into the Z-lynk receiver.  With the Axiom, D2, and Manticore (I picked up a WM09), I just plug whatever receiver into my phones and attach the Z-lynk or WM09 receiver to my phone headband as needed with a short patch cord.  The phones natively accommodate the D2 puck.  Yeah, it's not a great look, but I'm not trying to impress anyone out there with my fashion sense.  :laugh:  Anyway, I really just wanted to give the Z-Lynk Carrot a thumbs up.

• Like 3