A Dozen Buttons And A Silver Shock!

3 hours ago, schoolofhardNox said:

Draped bust silver 😍. Those are incredibly hard to find!!! Forget about the rest of the stuff 😅 That coin is sweet!!!

Thanks!

Well certainly the buttons play second fiddle to the coin, but a dozen in one day... That doesn't happen often either. 🤣 I simply found a small hotspot.

Honestly I'd have been happy with the buttons alone. 🙂 

It's a little bigger than a Trime, but smaller than a half reale. I'm grateful it had enough on it to identify

2 hours ago, deathray said:

What a fantastic find man! Wow!!!

Thanks Deathray,

It's certainly in the top 3 of stuff I found so far this year. Hunches, experience, and knowing my detector are paying off...

... Now to find something that is in great shape. 🤣 It would be cool to pay for all my gear and then some. I've found some priceless stuff but those are other stories, and I'm not selling those things.

2 hours ago, Elbert said:

I'm jealous. Fantastic finds.:blink:

Thanks, there are a lot of finds yet to be found, I'm not done yet. 😀 No need to be envious tho, as we say here "if you ain't looking, you ain't finding". 🙂

1 hour ago, dave_e said:

Stellar find for sure!

Thanks Dave,

Every time I think I have the find of the year, something else turns up. Costs a lot of money in shoes 😬

I hoped @GB_Amateur would stop by seeing "silver", but I will invoke the Coin Master. 🤣

51 minutes ago, F350Platinum said:

I hoped @GB_Amateur would stop by seeing "silver", but I will invoke the Coin Master. 🤣

Ok, you woke me up.  The way your year has been going I'm surprised it's not an 1802.  (Then you would have awakened me from a deep sleep, just from the ruckus 600 miles distant.)

Half dimes are tougher to find than dimes given their smaller size, as most know.  Then there's the cutoff date (last minted 1873).  My guess is that yours was extremely worn already when the hole was put into it.  Either way, great the date survived and exciting to find a rarity, even in this condition.

You're setting bar high for the next 10 months!

4 hours ago, GB_Amateur said:

Ok, you woke me up.  The way your year has been going I'm surprised it's not an 1802.  (Then you would have awakened me from a deep sleep, just from the ruckus 600 miles distant.)

Half dimes are tougher to find than dimes given their smaller size, as most know.  Then there's the cutoff date (last minted 1873).  My guess is that yours was extremely worn already when the hole was put into it.  Either way, great the date survived and exciting to find a rarity, even in this condition.

You're setting bar high for the next 10 months!

Thanks, GB, I thought you might be interested in this one. I guess they don't get found all that often. 🤔

I wish it was in a little better shape, might have sold it after getting it certified. Got a 17mm coin holder coming for it anyway.

3 hours ago, Lodge Scent said:

ooooooooo.......I am JEALOUS !!! That's one heck of a find F350 !

They're out there somewhere man, 36,799 more 😅

14 hours ago, F350Platinum said:

I wish it was in a little better shape, might have sold it after getting it certified.

Unfortunately holes are the death arrow for coins, even rare ones.  If it didn't have that you could sell on Ebay (for example) for a satisfactory price.  Someone wants that to help 'fill out' his/her collection.  The obverse probably grades Fair-2 or maybe a notch higher.  The reverse gets a Poor-1 but as mentioned by multiple people already, a clear, readable date makes it meaningful.

I hear lots of people say "I don't care what it's worth -- I'll never sell it."  To me that sounds like a bit of sour grapes.   I have lots of coins I'll never sell but I still prefer them to have as much value as possible.  I have other collectibles that are either unique or likely one of a handful in existence.  Owning something extremely rare (valuable or not) brings me pleasure.  It just 'feels' better to me.  But to each his own.

The nice thing about being a coin collector and metal detectorist is that your collection comes from hard work and luck -- your own.  Finding the first of a series, denomination, type is an accomplishment in itself.  If it's a scarce or rare item, that's icing on the cake, but even the unfrosted cake tastes pretty damn good!