White's TDI SL Video

tboykin

On 11/6/2016 at 4:37 AM, Des D said:

Nice video Tom.

I've been thinking lately of "toying" with a TDi S/L (sounds surprisingly like the GP's)

I think for the price you will not find a better pulse machine. But I could be wrong.

Hi Tom

I had to go take a look for myself to that the TDI Pro was gone. I do hope it comes back but super charged .

That's a great bundle you got with the MX Sport and others with the TRX pinpointer.

I just watch a video of First Texas and about all you seen was nothing.The video of White's we could see hands on with their people making detectors. I could seen just as much of First Texas from their parking lot.

Thanks White's !

Chuck

3 hours ago, Ridge Runner said:

The SPP had not been for sale in the US but it didn't sale like White's hoped it would. They had been in storage and Jimmy Sierra took them and put SPP on them. The S stands for Sierra and the other is Prospector Pro.

Actually SPP stands for Sierra Pulse Pro.  I seem to recall seeing 'SSP' ('Sierra Super Pulse'?) referencing this detector in the past.  I don't know if that was an official name or maybe just a mistake.

GB

I stand corrected. I remembered what the last P stood for but took a guess at the first. I think when Jimmy said he'd take on the sell of this PI he'd do it if only if he could put SPP. When I heard he was selling them I ordered one. It's simple to use for a PI detector. Nobody home like me has no trouble running it. Truth hurts don't it ?

Chuck 

31 minutes ago, Ridge Runner said:

It's simple to use for a PI detector.

Yes, RR, and not only for a PI detector.  This is the easiest detector to set-up-and-go that I own -- the other two being IB/VLF's which aren't that difficult, either.  I have no experience with other PI's so I can't speak in terms of relative to other PI detectors.  The other thing I particularly appreciate with the TDI/SPP -- and this is effectively true of the TDI/SL because it's the same detector with the exception of one switch and one control (variable resistor?) component -- is just how light weight it is.  This is particularly true when used in conjunction with the smaller coils.  Just weighed mine (with 220 mm "flying saucer" coil I recently bought at White's online Garage Sale) and including the loaded battery pack and a handle I added (not necessary in general but helps with some heavier coils) it came in at 3.45 lb.  Without the additional handle and a Miner John 5 in X 9 in coil I recall it comes in at slightly over 3 lb.  Of course one 'price' of lighter weight is shorter run time / battery life.   The pack with the 8x AAs weighs 0.61 lb and the factory stock NiMH pack slightly more at 0.65 lb.  A full day of detecting is about 2 battery packs worth.

Gb

You are right on on what you said. I don't know if you know but you can up the voltage on the SL or SPP to 14.5 volts and not hurt it. I was able to add one more battery too the 8 pack and that's how I run it. So you can see that's puts it at 13.5 volts. If you can find some recharge batteries with a high Ma will give you more run time. You can find 2600 Ma AA batteries but beyond that most local stores just don't have them.

Chuck

Must admit i do like using my TDI Pro,i am not saying its perfect or its any better than any other brand,it does exactly what i want from a PI detector,had looked at getting the 'sl' version as i could have used my spare RNB batteries that i use for my DFX and IDX Pro,but it was that horrible and antiquated 'S' shaped shaft that made me go for the Pro version instead.

For deep relic/hoard hunting the TDI certainly ticks all my boxes.

16 hours ago, GB_Amateur said:

Actually SPP stands for Sierra Pulse Pro.  I seem to recall seeing 'SSP' ('Sierra Super Pulse'?) referencing this detector in the past.  I don't know if that was an official name or maybe just a mistake.

I think the SPP was originally called the GMT SUPERPULSE & aimed at the African market. http://gmtmetaldetector.com/products/gmt-superpulse/

It was rebadged the SPP to clear the surplus if the stories are correct?

3 hours ago, AussieMatt said:

I think the SPP was originally called the GMT SUPERPULSE & aimed at the African market. http://gmtmetaldetector.com/products/gmt-superpulse/

Aha!  My SPP labels (one on either side of control box) are actually just put over the top of previous (stencilled painted) labels.  When I pealed off one of the SPP labels it says "GMT SUPER PULSE" followed by an e-mail address, web address, and phone number in UAE.  Below that it says "Mfd for ASSOCIATED GROUP, United Arab Emirates" (followed by a White's USA copyright).  So more evidence of your explanation, Matt.

12 hours ago, RickUK said:

Must admit i do like using my TDI Pro,i am not saying its perfect or its any better than any other brand,it does exactly what i want from a PI detector,had looked at getting the 'sl' version as i could have used my spare RNB batteries that i use for my DFX and IDX Pro,but it was that horrible and antiquated 'S' shaped shaft that made me go for the Pro version instead.

As far as handles go, the pic in Steve's review:

http://www.detectorprospector.com/gold-prospecting-equipment/whites-tdi-pulse-induction-metal-detector.htm

of the original Pulse Scan TDI shows the "I-handle" that apparently was kept for the TDI Pro model.  Oh, and BTW, here's one one of the original models on ebay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/whites-tdi-metal-detector-/232135586672?hash=item360c5bf370:g:VYsAAOSw4GVYH3L5

That ad claims the original is more sensitive ("slightly deeper") than the later models.  I don't know what evidence there is for that claim but I've certainly heard/read similar regarding the TDI Pro model compared to the TDI/SL.  I also wonder how much all this has to do with the battery voltage.  Surprisingly (to me), again from what I've read, none of the TDI's has a voltage regulator on the power supply (batteries) and thus will perform hotter if run at higher voltage.  (See Ridge Runner's suggestion above, for example.)  So, bottom line, how much does the perceived sensitivity difference between the models simply depend on what voltage they are run at?