My New 600 Loses Her Virginity! 1.5 Hr Inaugural Hunt

I was planning a full day of working my new E600, but circumstances arose and I only had about 1.5 hours to try her out.

Currently living on Eglin Air Force Base in Florida, where a ton of old family housing units are either currently being torn down or in the process of getting ready.  Most of them were built in the late 50's to early 60's. Additionally the original WIng Commander and Senior Commanders homes from the 40's are still standing but now unoccupied. 

I chose to work one of the Senior Commander homes for this quick run with the 600. Using Park2 and having to fuss a bit to quiet it down near power lines, I spent an hour and half just listening, digging, and playing with the unit to understand its functions and tones.  Originally set for 50 tones, but backed it off to 5. Recovery set to 3. No iron bias or other features that I still need to learn. Had lots of solid, repeatable 13 hits, but no nickels. All heavy metal parts.

So... for an hour and a half, I pulled three Wheaties, a bunch of copper pennies, and some clad...along with a old drawer pull, a key, and a spent rifle cartridge which is very curious being in the ground of the former WIng Commanders yard.  Only got about half the yard swung, but will use the six homes there for learning the 600 inside and out....especially in preparation for when my 800 finally comes in.

I am getting closer and closer to silver country here on base. I'm documenting the dates of coins I'm finding in various areas, and narrowing it down to the oldest areas where I am positive there will be plenty of silver buried. These areas are not very trashy because the military is really hard on littering and messes. Additionally, because there is very limited access to the base, there are very few people who have ever detected here!  Virgin ground for a virgin detector!

If it doesn't rain tomorrow, I'll be back out learning, learning, learning!!

IMG_0623.jpg

My uncle was a fireman at Elgin AFB for years.  He's retired now.  I've often driven by the old housing units at Patrick AFB and drooled over those untouchables.  Good luck and thank you for your service!

3 minutes ago, MontAmmie said:

My uncle was a fireman at Elgin AFB for years.  He's retired now.  I've often driven by the old housing units at Patrick AFB and drooled over those untouchables.  Good luck and thank you for your service!

Our permanent home is in Palm Bay.  I get back there for a couple of weeks at a time to take care of our house. Let's hunt together sometime! My wife is an active duty Colonel in the Air Force.  I'm a ex Army helicopter pilot.  We're going to a two year assignment at Tinker AFB in Oklahoma this summer where she will be a Senior Commander, and run the Medical Group there.  I'll continue to be back and forth to Palm Bay.

Wish I could!  We actually left Indian Harbour Beach Sunday and we aren't going back this winter.  I already kinda miss it.

OH... Snowbirds...Gahhhh!  LOL! :biggrin:

3 minutes ago, SittingElf said:

OH... Snowbirds...Gahhhh!  LOL! :biggrin:

Well...sort of.  There were two summers out of 5 years when we didn't leave Florida at all.  I considered IHB as home since I've spent more time there in the last few years than anywhere else.  PM me and I'll tell you where my favorite hunting spots are around Melbourne, since I won't be back there for a while, if ever.