Rye Patch In July - Rokon Left Me Afoot

I was actually over on the Sawtooth side, but most people recognize the Rye Patch.  I consider myself a fairly rugged guy, but N NV in July is no place to be without some decent shelter from the afternoon sun and heat.  A 10 X 10 Walmart quick shade seems to provide shade, but focus the radiant heat somehow making it hotter under the shade,  if that makes sense.  The afternoon breezes are hot and dry leaving my only thoughts to cold drinks.  Cold beer was my last choice, Gatorade and water were the only solutions.  I endured 2 days and found 1 tiny nugget with the Nox 800.

I rode my Rokon and explored way up an old "ghost road" on the afternoon of the first day.  With field glasses I saw a couple canyons that had exposed bedrock and I aimed to hike them the next morning while it was cool.  N NV climate is a funny thing, I woke up to 61 degrees, but temps would climb to 90 by 11AM.  As I was gathering my gear, I had one of those nagging premonitions.  I suspect we have them all the time, but only remember the ones that come true.  Nevertheless, I packed extra water and my Garmin Satellite Communication device.  I was merrily riding up the ghost road enjoying the refreshing morning air when, bang.  I felt the Rokon torque converter explode into the protective fiberglass shield.  Fortunately, I was only half way to my destination.  I carry tools and some spare parts, but no amount of duct tape was going to fix this problem.  I pulled all the unnecessary stuff out of my pack and started walking back to my truck.  It was all downhill, with a decent breeze so I made good time before the unbearable heat set in.  I packed my truck and strapped down all my gear for some tricky 4 wheeling to get back up there to the Rokon.  Turns out to be 4.7 rugged miles.  I loaded the Rokon and decided to head for home in sunny Yuma where it was only 116 degrees. 

It could have been worse however; the Garmin device, in addition to the emergency SOS,  has a feature where you can send free preselected messages to your family and friends.  At the end of the message the device stamps your GPS coordinates so they know where you are.  Since I do so much prospecting alone, I make this compromise so people worry less about me.  For $30.00 a month service fee, it's cheap insurance and my family worry less.  So, every night I send a preselected message of "Alive and Well" and they can plot my last location if something happens to me.  Staying home where it's safe is not an option in my world. 

Well written wise words & wisdom....

Just the name "Condor" say's a lot about your style.  Glad you are still with us my friend.  Great story.

2 hours ago, fredmason said:

That is the trouble with machines...they break down.  Unfortunately, I have broke too...

I am glad to see your post as I was getting a little concerned that the Mexicans had kept you...

glad you made it back!

fred

Hey Fred,

My last 2 Mexico trips have not produced much gold.  It's getting hard to come by, everywhere.  Prior to the Rye Patch, I spent a couple weeks sluicing and panning on the N. Fork of the American River.  I was getting about a gram a day of flood gold, but you know me, I'll leave gold to find gold.  I'll start writing up that story on the Sluicing and Panning forum.  I'm trying to find my camera with some of the gold pics. 

I've detected in Nevada (both northern and southern) during July and August and, it sucks. Damn near gave me heat stroke once.  Don't know why, but about every five years I have to give it another go, and surprise, surprise, it still sucks!! haha

1 hour ago, Cal_Cobra said:

I've detected in Nevada (both northern and southern) during July and August and, it sucks. Damn near gave me heat stroke once.  Don't know why, but about every five years I have to give it another go, and surprise, surprise, it still sucks!! haha

I spent 3 weeks out there last year in August.  It sucked alot, but a few thunderstorms would come through and make things interesting and it was a whole lot better than home in sunny Yuma at 118 degrees.  I saw Steve H out there and he had a small travel trailer with a portable generator and air conditioning.  That really is the answer for the heat of the day.  I may look into that for later this year.

I generally stick to September (even that can be iffy) thru May.    Sometimes you can luck out with ok weather during the usually hot months, but we've always got the 108+ degree stuff when we've done July -August trips.