A Month Of Equinox Finds

mn90403

Every 3rd Friday of the month the metal detecting club I belong to allows us to display our 'finds of the month' as a competition.  The categories are listed on the white board below my display.  This month my display number was 19.  I had an entry for each category this month.  All of the items were found with the 800 using the 11" coil.  (You can see the club info and pictures of past finds here: http://prospectorsclub.org/  )

I've put in a few hours over the last week because conditions were good.  What I didn't show were the coins that I found which was about $50.  So I dug a lot of holes when you add in the trash!

About 3 nights ago I went out on a low tide and was not finding much on my first beach.  I was getting ready to go and I found a piece of micro jewelry.  I didn't really want to leave so I began a SLOW grid of the area.  Just about every target started out as a negative number.  I kept gridding and found another micro piece as one of the studs, nothing very exciting but a target.  I locked into the slow pattern at the 'bottom of the hill' which is the end of the steep part of a beach slant.  I ended up with 5-6 small pieces and was satisfied with that.

Sometimes after I grid I look at the holes I've dug and consider the depth of the targets and extend that line or cross over where I've been before.  One of these times I extended the grid and came back to the pattern and I heard a 17.  Well, the Nox does 13, 20,21,30,31 and 15s quite often so 17 was a digger in all metal.  I took my normal couple of scoops and the target was still there.  This was the deepest target in the grid.  I looked in the scoop after about 9 inches and a 10k 6g ring was shinning at me in the moonlight.  This was a shock.  It was out of place and it didn't sound like that type of target.

The ring is pretty solid.  I could not tell from the sound.  One of my criticisms of the 800 is that it doesn't make heavier, more massive items louder.  Larger items like aluminium cans detect over a much larger area but I don't get a sense of 'density' from the audio target signal.

So, I guess the 17 is because the gold has more copper or silver to make it the 10k.  It is a nice class ring.  I'm still trying to find the owner.

The other items in the picture all have a story too including the two silver dimes and two silver chains.  I'll try to remember them if you ask me.

Mitchel 

IMG_20180921_221222.jpg

That particular set of sunglasses was on top.  I get lots of pieces and at times lots of complete glasses.  I kept this pair because of the unique color combination.  Manny glasses only have the metal hinge but some are wire rim glasses and are down very deep like some of the cell phones I find.  (I did have a couple of those but it would have detracted from the display this month.)

Mitchel

5 hours ago, mn90403 said:

So, I guess the 17 is because the gold has more copper or silver to make it the 10k.  It is a nice class ring.  I'm still trying to find the owner.

The size has a lot to do with it, 6 gram is a pretty decent ring.

If you cut the ring the number will drop dramatically.

The dimes ... well ...

This is the first time in a long time I have found a dime on the beach.  Let me just say that a couple of nights out I found a lot of coins and on others I did not.  Two nights I found over twenty dimes each night.  I just dig'em and look'em after the hunt and throw them into the tumbler.

A couple of nights ago all the coins were in one of those Harbor Freight tumblers with some cleaner and sand.  I decided it was enough so they tumbled for a couple of hours.  When they came out and I was drying them it was easy to see these two dimes.  They are very clean and look 'new' to my eyes.

I don't know what night or what beach they came from.

Thanks for asking Fred.

Mitchel