Minelab Extreme Nugget Knowledge...

Minelab has not used Chinese manufacturing facilities as far as I am aware. Many models are currently made in Malaysia, as are Intel processors and other high tech items.

My assumptions about metal detectors run in the opposite direction. Many models undergo unadvertised improvement over time. Just minor tweaks, newer and usually better components, etc. I will always as a rule buy later production detectors when possible rather than older ones.

Personally I found the Extreme a far better detector than the 2200, whilst the 2200 got gold no drama, I preferred the 2100 over it. But suspect that was because I was a slow adapter to auto GB, used all my PI`s in manual GB almost exclusively. The GPZ being my first detector I use the auto GB all the time except when pinpointing and when I wish to hear the ground changes, those ground changes I found important over the years whilst hunting new patches, slows you down and forces you to check all ground changes. Sometimes those ground changes are not so easy to see with the eye. eg color of ground or just ground features don`t change on surface. Not a firm rule, but ground changes get my attention and heart pumping.