Sign in to follow this  
Deft Tones

Man Finds 5 Gold Bars In A Fuel Tank Of A Tank

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/3291710/tank-collector-two-million-gold-bullion-military-vehicle/

Nick Mead, 55, discovered the five gold bars in the Russian T54/69 while restoring it to add to his collection of 150 military vehicles.

Gold is truly where you find it...lol.

• Like 2

Their trouble is only beginning now.  The thieves and the potential owners will all want a piece.  

We'll see if the smiles they have on the posing pictures lasts.

Mitchel

I volunteer for similar trouble :smile:

Funny part is pictures of gas tank, no pictures of gold. The gold bar photo is a stock photo of more than five bars. Surely you would not give it to police without taking photos of it. And who does not have a camera nearby these days? They say they were filming it.

Personally, I would not have called the police. There is no crime to report. I bought the tanks as is, they and what is in them is mine.

• Like 8

I'm with Steve, but If I found it there would be nothing I could find but tank parts. I swear, who finds gold bars in a tank of a tank and then reports them to the police? Couldn't trust one another?

I do hope they get a slice of the pie for being honest, at least.

Found this: at the link below. Seems no images of the actual find yet.

He added: “We didn’t know what to do. You can’t exactly take five gold bullion bars down to Cash Converters without questions being asked, so we called the police.”

https://bearingarms.com/bob-o/2017/04/09/guy-buys-tank-ebay-finds-2-5-million-gold-hidden-inside/

Hmmm what to do...what to do :smile:

strick

Check out this video of a couple Englishmen beginning the restoration of an old Russian T54/69 tank.

Mike

I have to admit, I would not have reported the find...... 

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By beardog
      7 minutes: 10 greatest metal detector finds - awesome! Babes not included.

• By Steve Herschbach
      "Three amateur archaeologists recently found the largest Viking gold hoard ever discovered in Denmark. At 900 grams (1.948 pounds), the hoard consists of seven beautifully worked bracelets, six of gold and one of silver. The silver piece weighs about 90 grams."
      http://www.ancient-origins.net/news-history-archaeology/amateurs-find-largest-ever-viking-gold-hoard-denmark-006118
      https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/2017/09/12/gold-diggers-buried-treasure-shows-vikings-hoarded-precious-metals/657229001/

• By Steve Herschbach
      A hoard of over 5,000 Anglo Saxon coins found in a Buckinghamshire village is the largest discovered since the Treasure Act was introduced in the UK. The coins are in spectacularly good condition, as they were wrapped in a sheet of lead prior to burial. Check out the many great photos at http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-beds-bucks-herts-31361054
      The coins were found by a 60 year old gentleman participating in a metal detector rally. According to the article at http://www.dailyecho.co.uk/news/13931371.display/ he was receiving interference from another club member and so wandered off in an odd direction with his XP DEUS, only to locate this fabulous find. The value is estimated at over a million pounds placing it easily over a million dollars.
      I would say his DEUS paid for itself!! And just goes to show, because many people would turn their nose up at an organized club hunt, that in Europe you just never know what thousands of years of history has left in the ground at almost any location. Other finds recorded this year include eight Bronze Age gold bracelets, 19 Viking silver objects including ingots and fragments of arm rings and a Bronze Age gold neck ornament.

• By Steve Herschbach
      This video is just great. These guys are relic and coin detecting an old gold camp in California and get the surprise of their lives! Good stuff. Caution for those who do not like coarse language but emotions run high in this video! The detector used is a Minelab CTX 3030.

• By jrbeatty
      Reg Wilson is a bit of a legend in Australian detecting circles and has kept a comprehensive photo collection of his finds over 4 or 5 decades. Now everyone likes gold images and stories -  and there are plenty here!  I've been offered existing topics to post on, but I believe the topic deserves its own thread to do it full justice. All images are those of Reg Wilson unless otherwise attributed.
      The album consists of hundreds of photographs of not only gold, but many gold detecting industry characters, some of whom are no longer with us, but who all contributed in their own unique ways to the great gold chase we still enjoy today. Firstly, a bit of background.
      Reg first shot to international fame with the finding of this 98 ounce piece which he named the "Orange Roughie" in 1987, decades later to be fraudulently rebirthed as the "Washington Nugget"
      By no means his first find, Reg was already a successful detector operator and at the time was testing a prototype GT 16000 for Minelab's wizz kid engineer Bruce Candy:

Photo: Australian Sun Herald
      L to R:  Bruce Candy, the late Doug Robertson, Ian Jacques, Reg, John Hider Smith.

Reg recalled: "The man standing next to Bruce Candy is the late Doug Robertson, who with his brother Bruce worked the aluvials below the famous and fabulously rich Matrix reef at McIntyres. They had an old Matilda tank with a blade attached to clear Mallee scrub. Between them they had a wealth of knowledge of the northern Victorian gold fields.
      (Doug's name may have been Robinson. Memory is a bit foggy)" Ian, Reg and John were prototype SD 2000 testers in Victoria, AU and were collectively known as the "Beagle Boys" a name bestowed upon them by Dave Chappel, the publican of the Railway Hotel Dunolly. On any Friday night huge nuggets, some weighing well over a hundred ounces could be seen displayed on the bar.
      120oz from Longbush. Found all on its own, finder anonymous:

The playing cards and US currency indicate that the nugget has just been purchased by the late "Rattlesnake" John Fickett, a US gold buyer who bought many of the big pieces back then:

Ian Jacques and Reg with 44 oz 1989:

Ian Jacques with his SD 2000 prototype late 80's.
      Real prospectors don't use bungees  

All for now, but at least we've made a start - - -

• By Steve Herschbach
      Something to ponder. As far as I know the largest nugget ever found with a metal detector was the Hand of Faith, at 875 ounces of relatively solid gold. With a Garrett ADS VLF in 1980. The nature of desert eluvial deposits is the gold is usually near surface and more depth does not always mean more gold. All the Minelab PI detectors made ever since have yet to find a larger nugget in Australia. And nothing in modern times has come even remotely close to masses of gold found over 100 years ago. There is the idea that another foot of depth will result in a renewed gold rush but I do believe in many places people would be surprised to find the cream of the crop gone forever. Scrapes obviously prove that is not true of all locations but in areas where bedrock is within a foot or two all the depth in the world is not going to put the gold back.

Photo from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hand_of_Faith (Wikimedia Commons)
      Actual Hand of Faith nugget on display at Golden Nugget Las Vegas