Minelab Coil On Whites Tdi?

Rod K

Rob, i am going to get the 5"x9" as soon as i can. John also recommended not going any larger than 8"x12" when i chatted with him about his coils the other day. Thanks to you and the others for their replies, info, experiences and advice.

Highly recommend the MJ coils. Have a pair of folded 8's. Between the coils and the Reg mods, the detectors run beautifully and do find gold.

Mike

• Like 1

Thanks Mike. I am going to get at least 1 or 2 of them as soon as i can.

The TDI SL has battery power of about 12volts and the Standard TDI and TDI Pro have battery power of 14.4 volts. This might make a difference in what coils will or will not work with the detectors power output ?  I have watched video of the TDI Pro over in OZ with the larger nugget finder coils, hope to hear if the Detech large size mono coils can be pushed to work with the 14.4 volt TDI's.

On 4/28/2017 at 10:14 PM, Hard Prospector said:

It is said that Dan Geyer understood the Eric Foster design and potential better than most anybody. It would have been interesting to see where Dan would have taken the TDI series by now had he not passed so suddenly several years ago.

I was fortunate to work closely with Dan for a few years, he taught me a lot. But, no, he & I agreed the TDI design had gone about as far as it could.

11 hours ago, roadapple said:

The TDI SL has battery power of about 12volts and the Standard TDI and TDI Pro have battery power of 14.4 volts. This might make a difference in what coils will or will not work with the detectors power output ?  I have watched video of the TDI Pro over in OZ with the larger nugget finder coils, hope to hear if the Detech large size mono coils can be pushed to work with the 14.4 volt TDI's.

I've been running a 'reidman" 16.8 volt pack in my SL for about a year. No problems so far. Haven't done any tests to see if the extra voltage helps.

Jim

• Like 1

Jim that is a power house of a battery at 16.8 volts ! I might be afraid of nuclear reaction inside to that kind of push in power ..LoL . Glad it works for you ! 

Also, just want to thank AussieMatt for that link to coils ! 

How does the diameter of the Australian penny used in the test compare with an English penny?  I'd like to see how my White's SuperPulse 220 mm (flying saucer) coil compares to those others in an air test.  I don't think I have any Australian coins (but I need to look at my foreign coin stash to make sure).  I have a souped up battery pack that will run at 14.4 V in my TDI/SPP so that may help get closer to apples-to-apples comparison with the TDI/Pro.

UPDATE:  found a 1943 Australian penny in my collection.  When I find the English penny I can answer my own question, although now it's just a curiosity for me since I have a test coin.