Steve Herschbach

Minelab And Customer Communications

1515Art    528

All the companies could improve, XP is just as bad... here we are 1/3 of the way through May and honestly I have little faith we will see the elipitical here in the US this month. No matter... as I'll be drooling all over myself when it does arrive and all will be wonderful.

Steve Herschbach    7,495

Indeed, where is that elliptical coil? Sadly it seems like a waste of time even asking XP, may as well just wait it out.

Ringmoney    69

Why blame engineers when it the job of PR and advertising?

• Like 1

Steve Herschbach    7,495

The post is not meant to be mean spirited. More tongue in cheek than anything... that is why it ends with a cartoon. It certainly is not a blame game on my part. It revolves more around the idea that companies have personalities as a whole rather than being about individuals or departments.

Trust me, as a nerd/introvert my sympathies are with the engineers!

IMG_0400.PNG

Bada Bing    142
3 hours ago, Steve Herschbach said:

How many of you know engineers? Have you spent a lot of time talking to engineers? They are not really famous for communication skills.

They are famous for their drinking skills - the ones I know anyway ......... If I ever want to shut them up I just start talking about the fairer sex ......... the blank look is priceless.

Cheers

BB

• Like 3

Glenn in CO    102

Maybe the established detector industry will look more closely as how Nokta communicates to customers when introducing new products or resolving issues as they arise. But that maybe wishful thinking.

Randy Lunn    137

Where it really counts I have had fabulous service from Minelab and Fisher. When my GPZ froze up I had three days of technical support to try to solve the download software issue. It could not be solved, and they immediately sent me a new machine. First class in all respects. Last month the discrimination toggle switch on my GB2 stopped working. I called, and the it was fixed under warranty in a week (thank you Felix!).

When it comes to marketing, the marketing guys (not necessarily the engineers) can play some really nasty games like pre-announce a product to freeze the market and get pre-orders. This is how Intel won the microprocessor wars against Motorola even though Intel was late to market. However, sometimes delays happen because of manufacturing issues such as design tweaks or parts availability. Better late than wrong.

There is no excuse for lack of communication.

Hey Hawkeye - I love the Dilbert cartoon.

• Like 1

Des D    56

From my point of view, they weren't ever good or clear about their communication/s.

They're not that company anymore. They are part of a larger conglomerate. 

That outfit was established 1 July 1959 which means 'old fashioned values' i.e. keeping things close to their chest.

The 'engineers' are from the old part of the original company. They are employed on 'contracts' that can last the duration of a New Product invention. I know these guys and they are a great bunch of ordinary people. Brilliant, but ordinary.

They have Privacy clauses so they cannot speak about what they are doing.

The Marketing people have similar clauses so they cannot speak either until a New Product is ready for release.

They have made a few attempts in the past 24mths to tell us things they want us to know. Other than that, they stay sthum!

We had a Prime Minister for a few years who was not actually elected as Prime Minister and was hugely unpopular because in his three year tenure in that role avoided making 'Presidential Address' like the American President's do. The People wanted him to tell us what was going on but he resolutely stayed away from the cameras!

He was ousted.

Maybe 'Phase Tech' might chime in on this one?