Ridge Runner

Warranty What’s It’s Value To You ?

I know over the years I’ve had to send a detector back for repair. One was back to White’s and the other to Minelab. I’ve had others in the past but both was in the last year.

On a lot of electronics the warranty is for a year. That is not the case on that detector you have. I’d say most of the time the detector company will pay to ship it both ways.

I don’t care if you paid 200 or 7000 that warranty has great value to you.

I’d like to hear your story how that warranty saved your bacon.

Chuck

Touch wood, only used MD detector warranty once on a GM2, 20 odd years back, however have had a few claims on coils. Considering the rough treatment they receive and the environment they work in I consider MD manufacturers are pretty spot on with their gear. 

I bought a 2300 used with just over a year and a half of warranty left.  I used it for a year and was starting to have problems with the knuckle being loose.  I couldn't tighten it much more without feeling like something was going to break.  I called up Minelab and they said send it in.  Cost me $50 with insurance.  A week later I got a brand new 2300.  No complaints about having to pay the shipping back to them.  Thank you Minelab!!

I've also had a couple coils now, one from White's and one from Makro.  Both with cable issues and each less than a year old.  Both replaced with new ones.  The White's I had to pay to send it in which I didn't mind since I bought it used.  The Makro, which I also bought used...  I just contacted them and was able to prove what the problem was and I got another about a week later.  The one with the problem still works as long as I don't flex the cable in a certain spot, so it's a 'back-up' in case something happens with the new one.  Thank you White's and Makro!!

Thank you Steve Herschbach for providing a great classifieds forum where I have saved a lot of money buying from reputable members.

:biggrin:

Luke

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

My Tesoro's a Silver Saber Plus , Tiger Shark and a Tejon,  have all been back for repairs with shipping one way. I can not say enough about the Tesoro lifetime warranty I have had the Silver Saber Plus  for over 30 years and still use it with the clean sweep coil for clad hunting. Wish I could find a clean sweep for the tejon . I had to send my Pro Pointer back for repairs and could not find the receipt I had to take their word it was out of warrant cost $50. All receipts now stay with the box they came in and go in to storage.

Stick.

You that spoke about trouble with coils have been saved by the warranty. I myself for all the years I’ve been detecting have yet to have a problem with a coil.

The thing that may not have contributed to a coil problem was a limited number back then. The coil that came with the detector was put on and never came off. I know this to be true on one of my Detectors.

Chuck

Warranties have been a life saver for me. Seems like I am the unlucky guy on the block. Several years ago, I bought a new Coiltec 16" mono for my GPX 4000. They had some problems with several of these coils that fell into a range of serial  numbers and  mine was among them. I was on my fifth one before I got a good one. They were all handled very professionally with no hassles and a letter explaining the problem and the serial numbers of the ones after the design change. Thank you Coiltec and Doc's Detecting.                                                                                              Next came my new CTX 3030. The second time I tried to use it, it failed. Minelab resolved my problem very fast and  I had a new one in about a week. Thank you Minelab and Creek Detectors.                                                                                                                                                                           Next was my B and Z  Booster, It suddenly decided not to work. It was replaced, no questions asked. Thank You J. P. and Doc's Detecting.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                               My last experience was with my GPZ 7K.  The select button quit working. I must have been in the transition between the two companies doing the repairs for Minelab. They paid the freight both ways, very happy about that. Minelab had it in their possession for three weeks before they contacted me, repaired and back to the shipping department the same day.  Thank You Minelab. Only bad was the length of time without my detector.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         I cannot imagine the problems and costs I could have had without warranties.                                                                                                                                                                                                                Norm McQ

Norm

I’d say you’re a man that got his monies worth out of a warranty you didn’t have to pay a dime for.

The great thing about any detector company they don’t say we going to do you a big favor and sell you a warranty.

No it’s FREE!

Chuck

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By mlgdave
      I updated to the latest firmware in september, sunday when I was detecting I would lose my sound through the wireless, I plugged in headphones and no sound from the machine through them either EXCEPT for turning it on, and also when the WM wireless connects I hear that (but probably from the unit not the headphones)
      Anyone else have issues, I do see 2 other threads but have tried both fixes including updating again. No dice, need the GPZ!
      mlgdave
    • By fishersari
      hello fellow detectorist out there,    Hi from a land far far away, my maxy have problem which when i turn it off , i cant turn it back on. The only way to get it to turn on is to pull out the battery altogether. Even when its on, it will turn off randomly. The way its shut down is like something pressed the on/off button ( what im trying to say is its turn off randomly with beeps like proper shutdown. Sorry cant describe it properly since english is not native. )  I have already done the factory reset and change new batteries, but the problem are still there.    Is there any way i can rectify this problem on my own, if possible. Sending back to Whites will cost me money ( which i can add a little bit more money  and buy new coil 😥)  and time. Thank you for your time and suggestion. Below is the findings for an hour of detecting before the problem arise 😣😣 
    • By Atlas
      Hi all,
      New to the Forum and have a problem I hope someone can help me with.
      Well I think the ATX (used) I recently got is down for the count

After the initial park test where the machine worked as advertised I took it to the lake for a water hunt. It was running real quiet and smooth at the first two beaches. Scored a silver ring and St Christopher medal on a chain Good frequency scan and GB. At the third beach I got a low batt indicator and did a battery change back at the truck.

Upon returning to the water the machine was acting real erratic with lots of false signals and LED indicators flashing up to the 7/8 range and even locking at this level. I thought well maybe its EMI or drift so I checked with my buddy who is running an infinium and he said his machine was purring like a kitten. So I did another factory reset and decide to run in ground tracking. I was still getting signals but hard to hear the faint ones with all the falsing.

I checked the battery compartment when I got home and no leaks.   Batteries were in proper polarization and no reversed cells.  So I decided to take it to the park today where I originally tested it with a fresh set of batteries. Did Freq Scan and GB. The GB seemed a little off from when I first got the machine. That is when I press the button and get the two tones I'm not hearing much ground signal. I noticed this at the lake also. Anyway tried to run and with the coil stationary I'm getting a pulsing signal from 1-4 LED range and spiking up to 7/8 range. The signal then locked at 8 and wouldn't go away without a reset but then continued the pulsing. So I decided to do a factory reset and that's when it got interesting. Usually on a factory reset I get two tones followed by the 4 battery check tones. The machine went straight to 4 tones with no LED display. So the machine is on and making spurious noises but no LED's are on. Did this a few times with the same results.

So I put the machine away and got my GP3000 out as a control test. The 3000 noise canceled and GB'd in this park fine and I dug a few signals till the rain started. Anyway this kind of rules out that there was some type of crazy EMI that can't be eliminated.

Next I called the local dealer who sold the machine to the guy I bought it from and he thought it might be the coil. back at the house I slid the shaft out a bit and had a look at the coil wire connector. Put in a new set of batts and checked the coil connector for leaks saw none but where the wire goes into the black connector there is some type of rubbery gasket material that is squeezed out a bit. Any way I fired up the machine and it went through a normal cycle with LED's and did the frequency scan but still getting that spiking signal. I can turn sens down and bring that signal down but then cant hear test targets through the signal at the low sens level.

Dealer told me to call Garrett on Monday and that is the plan. I think there is still 6 months on the Warranty but well see.
      Anyone have similar problems? I have this message posted on the ATX forum and a member there suggested testing my machine with a known good coil.  Anyone in the Reno area with an ATX and a good coil that I could use as a  test on my machine? I know that's a lot to ask but and maybe not even a good idea.   Maybe Steve will know?
    • By Reno Chris
      So a couple weeks ago I was out detecting with my GPX 5000 and all was going well. Steve Herschbach and I were hunting a spot where there are several patches in a comparatively small area a few hundred yards up to a quarter mile apart. At the last place of the day, I took out my GPX and turned it on, and it sounded weird (the 5000 goes through a specific set of tones on boot up and I know what is normal). I looked at the display screen and it was off - it looked the same as when the detector is off. It was making some faint sounds and I waived some metal objects past the coil and it did make a weak sound as the metal went by - but it was obviously malfunctioning and with the screen off, I could not adjust the sound upward even if I wanted. I tried a second power cord and that made no difference. I tried another coil - also no change. So I sent the unit into minelab for repair. They rebooted the unit to all the factory presets and it worked fine. Apparently this happens sometimes that the computer gets itself set to some weird setting and it wont run right  unless reset to the presets. Turning on and off is effectively a partial re-boot, while retoring factory pre-sets is a full and total reboot. Sometimes that is what it takes.
      So, the moral of this story is.........

if you find that your Minelab GPX 4000 to 5000 model seems broken, try a different power cord, try another coil (both these I already knew), but also try rebooting to all the factory preset settings.
      Here is the procedure from the GPX 5000 manual:
      To restore all Factory Preset settings: 1.Turn the detector off. 2. .Press the On/Off switch down and hold until the Reset Defaults menu appears (approximately. 5–6 seconds). 3. Turn Function Select to the right to select All Settings (as shown on the diagram). 4. Turn Setting left or right to restore all Factory Presets.The detector will restore Factory Presets and re-start.   Just thought this falls into the category of stuff worth knowing if you own a GPX detector.
    • By Rick Watkins
      Hey guys,
      I have 2 gb2s, has anyone had problems with threshold on these?
      What i have had happen with both mine on occasion is you will be going along just fine and threshold sound goes away sometimes temporarily sometimes you just bump it, sometimes you have to adjust slightly then it comes back on. I have adjusted it at higher threshold(louder) and it seems to stay on but to loud to pick up small gold.
      I seen another gb2 do this on occasion also. Whats up threshold switches themselves or somethihg different?
      Rick
    • By fredmason
      So, just one more issue during my Outing...
      I have been in the habit of tossing my ferrite on the ground...foolish me. They break into many pieces...so no more tossing...
      I wonder if the ring can be super glued back to one piece and function correctly? Or is it more like a metal ring that no longer gives the same signal once the circle is broke?
      Or do I need a new one?
      so many questions....
      fred