1881 P $10 Gold Found

4 hours ago, Mark Gillespie said:

Fantastic coin.  I've never found one and wonder just how I would react.

It's all about location. Don't be looking for a gold coin in a school yard.

Yup.  I know we all love to talk about and compare tech toys.   But at the end of the day, the better coins are usually always a function of :  Location location location.   This one was actually shallow, for example.  I think it was even in a gopher  hole mound, practically on top ! 

1 hour ago, Elbert said:

Outstanding find Tom. Congrats. Can't wait to again see your displays. I imagine they have increased since the last time I viewed them.

El

El, you are welcome to come to Monterey any time.   It's been awhile since you've seen my trays.  They're all in blue-print style drawer/cabinets.   Where each pullout is stocked with shadow boxes, of various themes and locations.    Bring the wife over, and Sheila & I will take ya to dinner here.

1 hour ago, strick said:

Nice work...seen the post first on the the FB forum...Got the chance to hunt with Brian once..he knows his stuff..maybe a vid coming out on this find? 

strick

Yes, Brian is fun to hunt with.  Hard to beat his passion.  Knows how to appreciate the history, the targets & the challenges.    Not one of those types who let the machine rot in the closet.   Good researcher too.

Of the two period coins we got on this hunt, neither was captured live on video dig.  Just Murphy's law I suppose.   We DID capture a bunch of digs (taking turns to film each other, in the certain zone where zero new targets exist).   But as Murphy's law would have it, those all turned out to be things like toe-taps, buckle "keepers", metal slag, etc.....    Which all would have made for "filler" material, surrounding a coin dig or two.  But alas, .... the coin digs weren't captured.

If Brian wants to make a video, I still have 13 clips of filler material.  Then  the 2 coins can just be still-shots, eh ?

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Cal_Cobra said:

Tom's coin was quite a surprise, and comes with quite a funny story to boot!  I really should've stopped by that rock pile, ironically how many times have we walked right past that rock pile?

Brian, why don't you just come on out and admit that you screwed up .  Eh ?  😝  And besides, you got the last 2 gold coins in our "back-pocket sites".  So:  It was my turn anyhow, eh ?   🤣 

On 3/13/2020 at 10:13 AM, Tom_in_CA said:

Brian, why don't you just come on out and admit that you screwed up .  Eh ?  😝  And besides, you got the last 2 gold coins in our "back-pocket sites".  So:  It was my turn anyhow, eh ?   🤣 

Huh?  Not sure what your bone is here?  Yes it was your turn Tom,  you got #16, I'm happy for you, congrats. 

On 3/13/2020 at 10:10 AM, Tom_in_CA said:

If Brian wants to make a video, I still have 13 clips of filler material.  Then  the 2 coins can just be still-shots, eh ?

If you can figure out an easy way for me to download the videos, I can put something together.

Superb coin there . . . . definitely shows you know your equipment and how to find the sites that hold the targets you are looking to find.  Congratulations . . . . . now get out there and find 4 more to make a nice even number . . . 20 has a nice ring to it!  😁

• Like 1

On 3/11/2020 at 1:08 PM, Tom_in_CA said:

This is my 16th gold coin of my career so far.

Tom,  You certainly have the upper hand on GC's than most of us.  Just for info to know their denominations, could you tell us how many of what?  I found an 1852 $2.50 with Explorer and an 1903 $5 found with Explorer-II detectors.  Wondering if most folks finds the smaller or larger ones?  Also, if you don't mind mentioning what detector did you find this one with?  

You are correct, as in the amount of them found.  Most of my clients have only found 1 and a few scored 2.  The daddy/daughter duo found over 10 at one site, but I count that as a Cache since they were all found same day in about a 20 foot area.

Detail on your Eagle is Stunning, so hats off to you.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Andy Sabisch said:

Superb coin there . . . . definitely shows you know your equipment and how to find the sites that hold the targets you are looking to find.  Congratulations . . . . . now get out there and find 4 more to make a nice even number . . . 20 has a nice ring to it!  😁

Andy, it is an honor to get feedback from a respected industry/hobby leader/voice.       Yes,  you're not the first person to say that I need to shoot for 20 !   First gold coin was found in very late 1994.  So that makes for about 1 gold coin every 1.6 yrs average now, eh ?     I'll be reaching 20 GC's by the time I retire at 65-ish , haha

15 hours ago, Gerry in Idaho said:

Tom,  You certainly have the upper hand on GC's than most of us.  Just for info to know their denominations, could you tell us how many of what?  I found an 1852 $2.50 with Explorer and an 1903 $5 found with Explorer-II detectors.  Wondering if most folks finds the smaller or larger ones?  Also, if you don't mind mentioning what detector did you find this one with?  

You are correct, as in the amount of them found.  Most of my clients have only found 1 and a few scored 2.  The daddy/daughter duo found over 10 at one site, but I count that as a Cache since they were all found same day in about a 20 foot area.

Detail on your Eagle is Stunning, so hats off to you.

Gerry, as with Andy I say :   It is an honor to get an input/reply from an industry/hobby-respected voice like yourself .  To answer your questions :

Two $20s, three $10's, eight $5's, one $2.50, and two $1's.

And no, the "larger vs smaller" (as if TID/selective -ness , ie.: cherry-picking disc have anything to do with it) are not a factor at all.  Instead, the total factor is:  Location location location.

This one was found with a Minelab Explorer II

Yes I do not count caches (or "scattered caches" ) as the same type find.  For purposes of gold-coins-found.   In the same way that people don't generally count gold coins in jewelry (in bezles) as "gold coins" .  And count them as "jewelry" instead.   

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1