Minelab Equinox 800 Questions... Please

Jaxson

Hello. I have detected for 4-5 years off and on..... upgrading when I can. I now have the Equinox 800. Here's the hard part, I suffered a TBI as a result of a vehicle crash and while you couldn't pick me out of a lineup, I have trouble with certain things... mainly.. reading directions and applying them or watching videos and applying them. Most videos don't answer my questions.

My questions...what does frequency have to do with what you're looking for or where you're looking at? Recovery speed...what is this? Sensitivity? Do I want it all the way up? When do I want it down?

I know there's a couple more but bed calls. Thank you so much.

1 hour ago, Jaxson said:

Hello. I have detected for 4-5 years off and on..... upgrading when I can. I now have the Equinox 800. Here's the hard part, I suffered a TBI as a result of a vehicle crash and while you couldn't pick me out of a lineup, I have trouble with certain things... mainly.. reading directions and applying them or watching videos and applying them. Most videos don't answer my questions.

My questions...what does frequency have to do with what you're looking for or where you're looking at? Recovery speed...what is this? Sensitivity? Do I want it all the way up? When do I want it down?

I know there's a couple more but bed calls. Thank you so much.

What type of hunting  U doing?

Welcome to this forum.

The Nox 800 is a really good detector. 

These are just general suggestions. Everybody's dirt and target preferences are different. Some people like 50 tones. For me in heavy trash, 50 tones is just too much information so I often just hunt in 5 tones.

Park 1 in default with no adjustments is a great place to start for general park, tot lot, yards, fresh water beaches and streams looking for modern clad coins and jewelry in aluminum trash. Field 1 default works great for more open fields and woods where targets are a little more spread out. Park 2 is for smaller targets in more mineralized dirt especially low conductors like gold, lead and brass in trashy areas. It works really well on deeper targets like silver coins and jewelry too. Field 2 is a lot like Park 2 but for open fields and woods.  I would just leave them in multi frequency. For me, Beach 1 is for salt water beaches whether dry or wet. I only use Beach 2 if my coil is submerged in salt water and there is too much noise using Beach 1 because the water is rough and/or the salt and mineralization is too much for Beach 1. Gold 1 and 2 are great for prospecting and they work pretty well for deep relic hunting too.

Sensitivity level depends on if you want to have silent background search or more noise. The Nox is a very hot detector and will pick up tiny fly speck targets. I usually just adjust the sensitivity up to where it barely begins to get noisy and depending on how I feel I might back off one notch.

Recovery speed is how fast the detector changes from one target to the next nearest target. Sometimes on the Nox the audio will change before the numbers. It is that fast. If I am in an area where there is not much trash and I am looking for deeper targets I might lower the recovery speed a bit to get more depth possibly. If I am in an area with a lot of tightly packed targets I might turn it up a bit more so that the Nox will change from one target to the next quicker.

Even in the default settings the Nox can easily detect 10" or deeper coin sized targets if there isn't too much trash.

Once you learn the numerical target IDs and tones of your preferred targets the Nox will ID them well if it detects them.

Jeff

• Like 5

Hello Jeff. Thank you so much! I still have questions...I was told that there's no such thing as a stupid question but here I go.

Soooo..a couple scenarios. I'm in a woods looking for coins in an area where there's alot of junk. What setting? Or what if I'm looking for gold? I know to put it on gold setting but do I want the multi frequency on or adjust the frequency from 5-40? (Or whatever it goes up to) I'm sorry for the questions but it's alot easier to hear it from you then apply it. 

Thank you very much again!

Matt

I sent you a private message. Check your inbox.

Jeff

You are vastly overthinking this. Start with Park 1 unless you are on a saltwater beach, then use the beach modes.

minelab-equinox-quick-start-1.jpg

If the detector is unstable (false signals while sitting still) reduce the sensitivity. If it seems very stable, increase the sensitivity. Now go dig targets while paying attention to the target id numbers and sound. Do this for 50 hours at least, then it’s time to start asking more questions. You have to learn to walk before you can run.

• Like 6