Well done School!  Dig it all and good things are the result.  How close to the wet sand do you go with the GPX?

Great hunt, and you even got some bite out of it!

Good luck on your next outing.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

That is an impressive collection of trash!! I am happy you got silver and gold as a reward for all that hard work! You are inspiring us to dig it all, to get a payday!👍👍

• Like 1
12 hours ago, mn90403 said:

Well done School!  Dig it all and good things are the result.  How close to the wet sand do you go with the GPX?

I usually stay away from the wet sand mostly because it does so good in the dry areas, depth wise. In the wet sand It seems to get less depth (maybe just imagined 😄) with my settings. Kind of just the opposite of what I'm finding with the Fisher AQ which seems to be excellent in the wet sand for depth, but less so in the dry.

• Like 2

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Similar Content

• By tvr
      Had a nice week. Got to visit middle son; ate too much, got tanned and got some metal with the Excal. Four days of flat water, two of a little chop and one with chop that was tough to work. Did about half slope hunting and half in the water; left the dry to others. What a luxury to be able to clearly see the scoop when shoulder deep in the water!
      Not much jewelry; three pieces of silver (ring, earring and charm) and two gold looking stainless steel. Lots of change 37 Quarters, 34 dimes, 19 nickles and 171 pennies; no foreign coins on this trip.
      Next adventure is to find a spot on the local beach devoid of metal and start over with known targets to set up and learn the AQ.
      Cheers,
      tvr

• By scoopjohnb
      When I’m all in,... I’m all in!!
      A few nice finds and quiet days on the beach add to the All In recipé.
      This Covid-19 has turned tourists into pleasant members of the public that keep their distance. Just the way I like it on my days off.
      So I decided to update my setup and give my trusty pall the CTX a rest, I’m not selling just yet. It will sniff out the good stuff for sure.
      Dry sand and wet sand hunting: Equinox 800 V3 VLF 11”, XP MI4 pinpointer
      Wet sand excavation: Vallon VMH4-VS30/VS20 PI due in somewhere round half november.
      This evening I’m readíng up on the manuals,... lets get down to the nitty gritty!!

• By snufferbottle
      Hey folks! I got into recreational prospecting a few years back and love it. One day YouTube decided to show me some metal detecting videos and now I love the idea of jewelry hunting on the beach. Planning to buy a Vanquish or Simplex and get into the game on some NorCal beaches.
      That leads me to a dumb question - when the ocean washes over a gold ring on the sand, given that it is so much denser than the surrounding sand why doesn't it sink so far that it's undetectable?
      In the Sierras I need to get down to bedrock to find decent gold. Is there a small recovery window to get gold jewelry prior to it going so deep that it can't be recovered? Is the ocean constantly pulling off layers of sand at a rate that's somewhat similar to the rate the gold falls?
      Trying to understand the basics so I can grasp where I would have the most luck on a beach in the wet areas.
    • By idahogold
      Greetings" to All, from 32f Idaho! Need a replacement 1 of these for a GPX4500, and cant find the name of the piece to search for a replacement...don't need and endshaft w/ eye attached, just looking for a "universal eye" or oem minelab eye to mount to a custom shaft. What's this called in detector lingo??? Any help w/ the name or where to get one would be much appreciated!!! Thanks!!! Ig

• By larryw
      I currently use a Equinox 800 and I consider myself to know absolutely everything about it. There really isnt anything that anyone can tell me about that machine that i havent mastered and completely already know. Its probably the most simple machine to use on the planet. I understand all the settings and I even know how to exploit the machine to get the results that i want when i want and i know how to get the maximum depth possible on the machine. I can even get a 22 inch air test on a silver quarter. Not too many people know how to do that and it is very relevant when you hunt in places with fill dirt and sand. 
      So I have been completely cleaning out all double beeps, every single piece of trash, every sliver of aluminum foil, every rusty nail, Every single pull tab, piece of a pull tab, tip of a pull tab, chocolate coin discarded foil etc etc etc.  Some of these places i have been electronically sifting wont even give a double beep on ANYTHING anymore with the Equinox 800. I dont care about VDI i just dig it all at this point. I try to force out double beeps. It just doesnt happen anymore in these places ive been pounding. Ive used all 8 modes with several different settings and I now consider these places PRIME PROPERTY for a Pulse Induction Machine in order to find more targets.  These places are so clean that I wont even have to tug around the 800 to cross check the beeps because the 800 cant hit anything else there anyway.
      So i need advice on a purchase. We all know Whites has ended production. But ive always been interested in the TDI pulse machine. Right now you can pick up the Whites TDI Metal Detector with 12” Waterproof Spider Search Coil & Bundle for about 999.95 plus tax and shipping.  I have read some old reviews of this machine and some people claim that this thing is an absolute beast at the beach. Ive seen videos of people making water proof boxes and tying it to there body just so they tug this thing along the water and get that unbeatable depth with it. Some of these guys are claiming they get about 3 foot of depth with it while wearing ear phones.  I find that very interesting but i dont plan on using it at the beach. 
      I need a machine strictly for coin/relic and jewelry hunting AT THE PARKS and other places on Dry land That the equinox 800 just cant find any more targets at, even after 2 weeks of straight rain. 
      I think my max in depth dig on the ground with the 800 was about a 12 inch Large Cent, and it was basically on a hillside. 
      So i cant find any information about the depth of coins that the WHites TDI can detect.  I have Trimes in neighborhood and half dimes too. The equinox will struggle to find those targets that have been in the ground for over a 100 years at about 6 to 7 inches. Can a TDI pull those targets at 12 inches if they have been in the ground for over a hundred years? Whites has taken down their forums and i cant find any relevant information about coin hunting with the machine. Why is TDI cheaper than a V3I? I know that my 800 is superior to the V3I because i used to own one. The V3I is just a VLF machine. If the TDI is a Pulse machine should'nt the detectable depth for coins/jewelry/relics be better and deeper than a VLF?
      I dont want to dump a grand on a machine with 10 year old technology if my VLF is going to be superior to it. I really don't want to buy a Garret ATX with its 8 year old technology for 2 grand, when i can probably wait until Minelab releases this GPX 6000 specs information. Thats probably when you can get a good deal on a used GPX 5000 for 2 grand or less on ebay.
      USED GPX 5000 > Garret ATX at that price point.    But if a TDI is all need, THat would save me a grand. I dont care about going to gold fields and looking for gold flakes or nuggets. I care about digging up the history where i live at. I could get just as lucky in my village and dig up a silver coin worth $50,000 or more as you could get lucky finding a gold nugget of the same value in the dessert or mountains, RISKING YOUR LIFE FOR IT... Ive read that a Garret ATX and the Whites TDI perform about the same as far as depth of coins is concerned. So I guess i have 2 options, A whites TDI for 1 grand, or wait and try to get a USED GPX 5000 when they go on sale after the GPX 6000 specs release.
      Is a TDI going to be sufficient for my needs? THanks!
    • By normmcq
      Having only recently started water hunting, I only recently had some success. My my first experience was at the beach at Monterey Bay. It was a low tide at about 10:30 P.M. The waves were crashing on the shore and the noise was so bad that I gave up and started detecting the dry sand. There were several people on the beach and I was separated from my friend and not comfortable with my surroundings. I did manage a nice silver Indian Chief. The Head dress is inlaid with mother of pearl.
       The next attempt was at a beach North of San Francisco, on the way there I looked at the National Weather Service for a forecast, said dangerous surf, don't go near the water. The tide was receding and my friend said we should be just fine. Shortly after we got there it started to rain and I was getting wet and cold. About forty five minutes into the hunt, I decided that I wasn't having any fun and started back to the vehicle. I broke the cardinal rule, I turned my back on the ocean. The tide was out about one hundred fifty yards. I was about thirty feet from the car in a paved parking lot when a rogue wave came in and knocked me down from behind. Now I was really wet and cold, this was December. I was using my CTX 3030 and I found that my WM 10 couldn't Swim. I tell myself I'm done with the ocean. I didn't try water detecting again until a few weeks ago. My friend Rob talked me into trying it again at Lake Tahoe. The water was full of people and with the Covid restrictions, I tried to maintain social distancing, that put me out in a depth that I was not comfortable with. The shoreline where people were getting in and out of the water was where the most targets seemed to be. My problem wit that was , the bottom had a steep slope and I was having a very hard time standing on it. Nothing to show for my efforts except some clad. Tahoe is such a beautiful place and the water wasn't cold, it just made for a wonderful day. Not being a person that gives up easily, we went back again. The next trip we went back to a different beach with a beautiful campground. Unfortunately the campground was closed due to the fire danger. That trip the water was still very pleasant. The wind was coming out of the South West and got a little stronger as the day went on. The entry point seemed to be where the targets were and that is where the waves were breaking. I did manage a silver Rosie and three Wheaties. As I mentioned the wind was blowing harder and the waves were getting larger to the point I was getting worried about getting knocked down. I changed my M. O. and borrowed Rob's waterproof headphones and tried it some more. Well I guess I got a little too comfortable, it happened again. The wave action knocked me down and started pulling me off shore. I managed to get back up with the help of Rob. By that time I was pretty beat up and decided to call it a day. I decided to try it one more time. We loaded our truck camper and headed back to Tahoe, the fire danger was not as bad and the campground was open. We managed to get a spot for two nights. It takes about 2 1/2 hours to get there, so there was only a few hours detecting the date of arrival. This trip I had a life preserver jacket and some chest waders. The lake was flat and the temperature was still very tolerable, just perfect for detecting. Lake Tahoe is an awesome place and one can only appreciate the beauty of the place by going there. I am absolutely disgusted at the way people trash the place.     Well this trip was different, I got my first gold in the water!  A 14k with "I Love You" inscribed in it. After we got home from a very nice trip, a very dear friend got a hold of me and asked if I would try to find her husband's wedding ring. He was one of my partners in a mining claim and he passed away from cancer about a year ago. She said that she had been working in her yard, cut a lot of shrubs, raked them up put them in a bag and hauled them to the dump. She had spent quite a bit of time looking for it and was almost certain that was forever gone. After the description she gave to me of the ring, it sounded just like the one that I had found at Tahoe. I told her that if I couldn't find it, I would gladly give her the Tahoe ring. It only took about ten minutes to find that ring, it had that "sweet fifteen low tone. That was a very emotional moment for both of us"