Garrett Metal Detectors For Prospecting?

Thanks Gerry for going over all this. I tossed the Gold Bug 2 out as an example of how the AT Gold was already outclassed before it ever hit the market. I'm sure the AT Gold sold more to the coin and relic market because the premise he is backwards. The AT Gold as Jeff has said is just a tweaked AT Pro, it's not a dedicated nugget detector. The Equinox by comparison I instantly knew there was magic the first time I ran it with the prototype 6" coil. The only reason I keep my 24K is the coil selection versus Equinox, otherwise it would be gone. The only VLF I really need for nugget hunting is the Equinox, and truth is even then I'd rather have a PI.

Once I get a 6000 I may just sell the 24K because much as I like it, I'll be running the 6000 near exclusively, and Equinox only in trash or when I need that 6" coil.

This thread was about Garrett............. :laugh:

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

13 minutes ago, Steve Herschbach said:

This thread was about Garrett

I should have included the AT for my comparison question, my bad 😁

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Gerry in Idaho said:

I'm going to say they are pretty close (closer than most folks realize), but here is where the EQ-800 shines over the Monster.  NOX ID's hot rocks better, can handle mineralized soils better, easily ID's gold better and I know before I dig if it's a 22 shell, 30-06 casing, beer can or coin. 

Plus, here are some other things the NOX does and you can not with the Monster-.  Complete detector is 100% waterproof, not the Monster. NOX is blue tooth wireless, not the 1000, the NOX is software downloadable (very big deal for most of us), but not the Monster.  NOX is a great water detector and I have found ounces of gold rings in salt water.  Monster will puke itself in a salt water (but it was never designed for it).  NOX has adjustable tone pitch to suite ones ears of the sounds they don't hear well.  Not the Monster.  NOX has adjustable recovery Speed to pull nuggets from many hot rocks and the Monster does not.  The NOX has fine tune Ground Balance capability, not the Monster.

I could go on, but feel you get the point why all 9 of my Field Staff own the EQ-800 for Nugget Hunter and sold their GM-1000's.

It is  an unbelievable  (in a good way)that the machine that I got mostly for old coins and gold in the water is also a top notch  nugget machine too and at such a good price. Being waterproof,wireless,plus  being able to hunt  saltwater beaches makes this a  fantastic            machine.I wonder  today what the sales for a Nox is compared to AT machines  from Garrett.    

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Gold Catcher said:

I might wait for the 1000 (and compare with the AT.....)

1000 or whatever they are going to call is not on the horizon for at least another year and I suspect that if they try to make it have features to replace the aging CTX in their lineup, those features are going to make it cost more than the 800, yet not bring much, if anything, to the table for the prospector.   Plus there are those 800 price hike rumors... :rolleyes:

• Like 1

The Equinox is not perfect. As I mentioned I like the elliptical closed coils on the 24K better, especially for scrubbing. One of my favorite prospecting coils is a 6 x 10 just like they have on the Gold Monster or 24K, but can't get it for Equinox. The Nox coils are bump sensitive at max gain. And in rare circumstances I do prefer a drop in quick swap battery pack over something I have to charge. But no contest, if all I can do is keep one VLF to nugget hunt with it will be Equinox.

https://www.detectorprospector.com/forums/topic/7468-my-tips-on-nugget-detecting-with-the-minelab-equinox/

• Like 1

And I know a well known 20+ year Minelab dealer who sells them.   And as a Veteran myself,  I offer the 15% discount to other Veterans. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Minerjosh said:

I'm pretty sure I'm going to get an equinox 800 tomorrow  lol

Call me tomorrow and I'll make it worth your time.  Www.gerrysdetectors.com 

• Like 1