Oak Island's Gary Drayton

Does anyone out there watch the cable show Oak Island? If so, I am always fascinated by their metal detecting guy Gary Drayton. It's probably the only reason I still watch the show as he is the only one finding anything. I know nothing about detecting but what would you experts here have to say about him and his techniques? Is he as good as they make him out to be? 

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, GhostMiner said:

Does anyone out there watch the cable show Oak Island? If so, I am always fascinated by their metal detecting guy Gary Drayton. It's probably the only reason I still watch the show as he is the only one finding anything. I know nothing about detecting but what would you experts here have to say about him and his techniques? Is he as good as they make him out to be? 

Uh Oh. That bad?

I've known Gary for at least 15 yrs. and have detected beaches with him.  Yes he's a King on the beach in FL.  He's getting better at hunting Relics.  He would not be the guy to get for hunting gold nuggets as we use different detectors.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Gerry in Idaho said:

I've known Gary for at least 15 yrs. and have detected beaches with him.  Yes he's a King on the beach in FL.  He's getting better at hunting Relics.  He would not be the guy to get for hunting gold nuggets as we use different detectors.

I had a chance to work with Fred Dodge a yr ago on one of our claims. They were on our mining website and called me. I didn't do it. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, madtuna said:

When my kids stuff up I make them watch Oak Island as punishment.

It's boring but I can't stop watching LOL. Tonight they're going to dig another hole. My wife says the entire island is like swiss cheese and will collapse into the sea one day. 

• Haha 2
  • Thanks 1

Gary is a great guy for the MD'ing industry and really is a very skilled Beach Hunter.  I tip my hat off to him for everything he's done.

We were in the same TV commercial for Minelab back in 2013.  It was the 1st US Commercial for television on select channels.  I was the experienced Minelab dealer, Gary Drayton was the professional Beach Hunter (this was before he became famous) and Stu Auerbach (since passed) the founder of Kellyco Metal Detectors and they are largest retailer of metal detectors in the world.

The commercial used to be on Minelabs website but it looks like they took it down.

But Gary...yea he's worth some good stories and a few beers.  I'd detect with him again in a heartbeat.

• Like 5

1 minute ago, madtuna said:

It’s the narration that kills me…eg: they did up a piece of wood and then we get two minutes of “ could they have just found the vault containing millions in treasure? Or could this be part of the ark of the covenant secreted years ago by the Knights Templar? Or maybe it’s evidence of an ancient alien civilisation or Egyptian sailors having settled after losing their way on a fishing trip up the Nile and if so what happened to them?”

When realistically, it’s just a piece of wood.

Yes, every treasure on the entire planet is buried there LOL.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2