Finally Minelab Take Responsibility For Screwing Up The GPX 6000 Speaker

phrunt

The GPX Audio Fix Poll  

17 members have voted

1. 1. Have you had the audio/EMI fix done to your GPX 6000 - if you plan to get it done please don't answer the poll until you've got it back and tested it

2. 2. Did the fix improve your built in speaker EMI stability

• Yes
    • No
    • Not sure, possibly
    • Not sure, I don't think so
    • Don't care, not getting it done
  3. 3. Did the fix improve overall stability or improve the detector in some other way?

• Yes
    • No
    • Not sure, possibly
    • Not sure, I don't think so
    • Don't care, not getting it done

44 minutes ago, GotAU? said:

I wonder if the board manufacturer had to switch to an alternate inductor manufacturer due to supply and a type mismatch happened or something as simple as that?

The fix uses inductors that are shielded in all 3 axis whereas the original inductors appear to have been unshielded (or cheaply shielded). Looks like they just tried to save a few cents by using lower quality inductors with less (or zero) shielding at first - see the photo I posted in the post above for the likely components replaced. 

The internals look like a toy like a mass produced kids CB or RC car controller to me, not a precision sensitive instrument like say my XRF gun. Very little shielding, no vibration standoffs, cheap components, etc. 

I really hope they've learned some lessons for the whatever the next GPZ is. If it's a $10,000 machine built like this with an eye for savings a few $0.01 here and there over quality and performance, then Minelab may be heading down a really counterproductive path in the future, especially if a competitor has arisen. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Plexus manufacture medical grade PCB's which have super tight tolerances and extreme reliability so I can't imagine it is their fault.  They make to the specifications they're given and in the GPX's case it's built cheap, there is no doubt about it.  It could have been a part swap due to Covid availability and once supply was able to resumed with the working tested inductors they just kept using the low grade inductors they had sourced during the supply problem.  We will never know the reason behind the design flaw, if it was there from the start or if it was something due to supply issues.  I'm leaning towards it was always there right from the start as it took so long for them to diagnose the cause of the problem and supply a remedy, at first dismissing it as the detector being so sensitive it's a side effect of the sensitivity, customers weren't happy with that excuse and eventually they came out with a repair as the voices got louder damaging sales.

I think this from the Directors report update to the share market says it all really, "First half metal detection sales over the last 3 years have been FY20 $100 million, FY21 $155 million (+55%) and FY22 $138 million. Despite the reduction in sales this year, the business delivered a near record first half profit result with a clear focus on improving margins and on costs efficiency.

As the market leader in the sector, we were able to pass on price increases as required and the management of our supply chain meant that we reduced freight costs against global trends. For these reasons, we were pleased with the performance of the business."

Good for share holders, not for customers, either way, everyone can get it fixed now and they should be doing so, and that's what matters the most.   So far I'm happy with mine, I have little confidence in the 11" coil lasting long but other than that the detector is working how I expected it should.  Once you get to know it's quirks and how it runs and have a working detector its a pretty good unit although I think very over-priced for what it is considering the build quality and reliability.

• Like 2

Phrunt,

I wouldnt worry too much about those little spider cracks unless the flying buttress ends snap off.

Of course we dont want any cracks,  but I have one of the first 6000 sold in the US and have been hard on the coil, and its still holding up, spider cracks and all. I imagine eventually the ear will snap off but you should get some use out of it. Just carry your spare coil, and enjoy the detector. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, phrunt said:

Plexus manufacture medical grade PCB's which have super tight tolerances and extreme reliability so I can't imagine it is their fault.  They make to the specifications they're given and in the GPX's case it's built cheap, there is no doubt about it.  It could have been a part swap due to Covid availability and once supply was able to resumed with the working tested inductors they just kept using the low grade inductors they had sourced during the supply problem.  We will never know the reason behind the design flaw, if it was there from the start or if it was something due to supply issues.  I'm leaning towards it was always there right from the start as it took so long for them to diagnose the cause of the problem and supply a remedy, at first dismissing it as the detector being so sensitive it's a side effect of the sensitivity, customers weren't happy with that excuse and eventually they came out with a repair as the voices got louder damaging sales.

I think this from the Directors report update to the share market says it all really, "First half metal detection sales over the last 3 years have been FY20 $100 million, FY21 $155 million (+55%) and FY22 $138 million. Despite the reduction in sales this year, the business delivered a near record first half profit result with a clear focus on improving margins and on costs efficiency.

As the market leader in the sector, we were able to pass on price increases as required and the management of our supply chain meant that we reduced freight costs against global trends. For these reasons, we were pleased with the performance of the business."

Good for share holders, not for customers, either way, everyone can get it fixed now and they should be doing so, and that's what matters the most.   So far I'm happy with mine, I have little confidence in the 11" coil lasting long but other than that the detector is working how I expected it should.  Once you get to know it's quirks and how it runs and have a working detector its a pretty good unit although I think very over-priced for what it is considering the build quality and reliability.

Cmon Simon every single listed company in the world has a focus on margins and cost efficiency. 

26 minutes ago, GR Guy said:

Cmon Simon every single listed company in the world has a focus on margins and cost efficiency. 

Not at the expense of quality.  I've got no problems with them cost cutting and their large margins, without a doubt they do that with great success, when it impacts the quality of the product they're selling especially when it's one of the most expensive metal detectors ever made that one bugs me.  Have you ever seen a metal detector with so many owners having problems? let alone one with it's price tag, it's indefensible.   I've had mine under 6 months and it's had 3 warranty claims already and I'm sure it won't be the last time as I full well expect my 11" to fail again.   Hopefully next time around with their next release of the Manticore it's a better effort on their behalf when it comes to quality and it appears they've particularly focused on a better build quality with it, I've already committed to buying it.

9 hours ago, WesD said:

Phrunt,

I wouldnt worry too much about those little spider cracks unless the flying buttress ends snap off.

Do you mean like this?

C9402FBE-100C-4881-8668-EA7A3572A88E.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Oh my! 1

That's awesome Jason, your impression of the fix mirrors mine so far, I think it improves a lot more than just the speaker as overall stability seems better even without using the speaker, and a number of people are now reporting that.  I'm puzzled why they're specifically saying it only fixes the speaker, perhaps not to get flooded with warranty claims.  I'm happy your problems are now under control and you can use it again.    I like you think everyone should get it done, regardless of if they use the speaker.

• Like 5

5 hours ago, phrunt said:

That's awesome Jason, your impression of the fix mirrors mine so far, I think it improves a lot more than just the speaker as overall stability seems better even without using the speaker, and a number of people are now reporting that.  I'm puzzled why they're specifically saying it only fixes the speaker, perhaps not to get flooded with warranty claims.  I'm happy your problems are now under control and you can use it again.    I like you think everyone should get it done, regardless of if they use the speaker.

Jason report should make GPX6000 owner a lot happier. Garrett Australia now has a big problem trying to sell the AXIOM at an unreasonable price in Aus and NZ as ML has up their game.