Forum Friend To All Has Passed

Thank you so much Norm for starting this post to let everyone know the sad news about Fred. I know Norm and Freddy were dear friends so it was fitting that it was Norm that posted the news. I loved reading all of the wonderful heartfelt comments and the great photos - it really is a celebration of his life !!!

If anyone has more photos I think it would be wonderful to see them. I know it will bring a lot of comfort to Jonni and Fred's family to hear all the stories and know how much he was loved and respected by so many. Jonni - you and Fred were so kind to me when we camped at the Lucky Fox with Norm, Heather, Mike and Michelle. I am so thankful and feel honored that I had the opportunity to get to know you both a little better and enjoy that special time with everyone. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family. 

Fred had many lessons to teach.  One of them I learned by taking a trip to Tucson for an outing.  I had decided I was going to go through Yuma to a place called Potholes where Fred had been in the past.  I asked him where to hunt and he gave me the 'lay of the land' so to speak and told me to hunt under the wires.  Well, I'm not that great with directions but I did find the power lines and I hunted some likely spots and I found a nice nugget of a couple of grams.  There was also a few more smaller ones and interesting trash.

After the trip was over I called Fred to thank him for the tips on the place and I told him where I had found the nuggets.  (This is the information you get back if you share.)  Fred listened and thought about it a little while and he told me that I had gone to the 'wrong' wires!  haha  We had a chuckle about it and he wanted to know where I parked and where I found them.

About 3 weeks later there was a posting on the forum of some nuggets Fred had found. (More than I had found)  He told everyone he got out of his truck, geared up and found them within 30 feet of the truck. (He didn't tell everyone our location.)  That is where I had parked!  haha  As it turns out Fred found lots of nuggets where you park and some of us have taken advantage of his lesson over the years.  I know I hunt roads and parking lots more now because of Fred.

Very sad news, my condolences to Fred's friends and family.

I wish that I had been blessed with the opportunity to meet him, I will do as suggested and have a shot of tequila tonight in his memory.

RIP Fred.

To Fred’s family and friends, I’m sorry for your loss.

I never met Fred but always enjoyed his humour when he commented on peoples posts. When i saw a comment from the man in the pink/red shirt i knew it would either be witty, funny or kind.

May you find some comfort in knowing that many others thought highly of him, including myself

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Everyone,

Wow, so sorry to hear about Fred.  He was a longtime friend and customer.  I had to dig through some very old pictures, but this was back in 2006 I believe.  Fred would email me or PM me on my forums and say, Rob, you're always finding gold down there in Arizona.  Fred wanted to come down to Arizona, down to Southern Arizona at the time.  We planned a weekend outing and 4-5 friends all met up for a hunt.  

I had some pretty good success in the area over the years, but it was very trashy and extremely spotty when it came to nuggets.  If you hunted hard, dug as much trash as possible, sometimes you could come out of there with a 1/4 ounce or better nugget.  

Most of us arrived Friday evening to set up camp.  Saturday, we walked around for a few hours, I showed everyone what I knew of the area and where some gold has been found.  The remainder of the day, 4-5 good friend all went their own ways searching for that elusive metal.  Everyone was beat at the end of the day, but some decent nuggets were found.  I believe 2 or 3 of us found nuggets, Fred and another guy didn't have any luck that day.  

The next morning, most of us were a bit tired digging all the rubbish and hiking around for miles.  The next morning, we all did the same thing, everyone took off to either where they found their gold the prior day, or tried some new spots.  That afternoon everyone returned back to camp to eat some lunch.  I was lucky enough to find another nugget or two and a few more nuggets were found.  Fred wasn't having the luck, but that was typical of this gold placer.  I personally seen guys go, weeks and months without a single nugget find, but diggin handfuls of iron rubbish, bullets, bullet cashing and other crap.  

I told Fred and the others I was going to hunt for about another hour or so, but then come back and break down camp.  I had to work Monday morning and had a 2-3 hour drive back to town.  Fred was a bit frustrated and said he's never coming back, better yet, he was going to head back to California! 

I told Fred, get out of the trashy gully bottoms and try your luck for a few hours on the hillsides.  Fred said, that is like hunting a "Needle in a Haystack", and I agreed, but sometimes you could nail a nice one with minimal trash on the hillside or slope.  Fred agreed to give it a whirl, but I could tell he wasn't too convinced about having any luck doing so.  

About an hour later, I hear some yelling from a hillside over.  I couldn't really tell due to the distance who or what was going on.  I ended up walking that direction and finally seen it was Fred.  He had this huge smile on his face.  I remember asking Fred, "Any luck?"  He said, Rob you were right, I got one!"  He dropped a nice piece of gold in my hand and I about shit!  It was a beautiful 3/4 ounce nugget with some quartz attached.  Fred was so happy.  We ended walking back to camp and doing the show in tell deal. 

I remember asking Fred before I left that afternoon.... "Fred, where did you find that piece?"  He told me, Rob, I can't remember what hillside it was on.... LOL I think he was so freaking excited he found it, he dug it up and hauled butt back to camp to show it off.  He didn't really pay much attention on where he found it! 🙂  I never really followed up with Fred on if he went back to hunt the area real well, I know he spent another day or so there, so I'm hoping he found at least another piece or so. 

Your friendship will always be treasured Fred. 

Rob

fred1.jpg

fred2.jpg

Nice story Rob. Fred sounded like someone worth knowing I am sorry I never got the chance to meet him in person.

Norm,

Thank you for starting this thread, I am moved by all of comments from the guys Fred had shared a camp, a hunt, or an online communication with.  People from Australia, Canada, all over the US and others as well. 

I know you and Fred were close and the adventure in Cibola last fall is a great memory, Heather and Joni were there as well and it made for a great camp.  

My son is attending UCSD and last year when I was him visiting him I gave Fred a call and said, "I am in San Diego and would like to visit with you."  When he gave me his address I realized his home was about a quarter of a mile up the hill from my son's apartment.  So up the hill I went and was warmly welcomed by Fred and Joni.  Their home is beautiful and is full of the lovely handcrafted quilts she makes.  We had a good visit and the next day I took my son to meet them.  

Another warm memory I savor is that of a beautiful evening on the same trip to Cibola, I was sitting by a small fire relaxing and enjoying the sound of the birds just to the west on the Colorado River, (There is a waterfowl reserve there.), after a bit Fred came over from his trailer with a bottle of good Tequila and two glasses, "Would you care for a drink?" he asked.  Yes indeed, I said and I am happy to recall that evening, we did have a shot or two, Fred took his leave and returned to his wife and wheeled abode.  I hit the sack in the back of my truck and all was right with the world.  

I do miss Fred and my prayers go out to his family.  I was fortunate to have known him.

Jeff

As a rather new member on the forum, I'm also sad to hear of his passing.  Fred was one of the few who responded to a newcomer's questions and seemed genuinely interested to help.  Helping those you don't know is a trait of a giant soul.  Thank you for your brief, but thoughtful interactions, Fred.  May your legacy live on and be passed to others who find a piece of it resting here.