Yesterday evening was a beautiful day to hunt.  Didn't get to hunt long. The school was mowing the lawn, or rather the acreage.  Might not look like much but the war nickel is the 3rd in 4 months.  Not bad for a presumably hunted out site.   Oh, by the way a site is never hunted out.  There's always something left, waiting for the next generation of detectors or the detectorist that my be an unconventional hunter.  I might explain that statement at a later date.

20200423_092857.jpg

Was that more/less the condition of the Warnick when you pulled it from the ground?  I find it ironic that Warnicks (35% silver, 56% copper, 9% manganese) in circulation are darker (gray color) than 75% Cu, 25% Ni standard composition USA 'nickel'.  In my experience just the opposite occurs for those that come from the ground -- the Warnicks are white (similar to 90% silver USA coins, although not as white) whereas the nickel composition coins can be anywhere from reddish brown to dark gray.  Similar are the modern clad dime and quarter (I assume clad halves, too, but I've only found one of those so far, and no Susan B. Anthony mini-dollars yet, nor Eisenhower full sized dollars).

Always happy to find a Warnick myself, and good to see that you agree.  Did you find this with the White's TDI/SL and large '350' coil?

20 minutes ago, GB_Amateur said:

Was that more/less the condition of the Warnick when you pulled it from the ground?  I find it ironic that Warnicks (35% silver, 56% copper, 9% manganese) in circulation are darker (gray color) than 75% Cu, 25% Ni standard composition USA 'nickel'.  In my experience just the opposite occurs for those that come from the ground -- the Warnicks are white (similar to 90% silver USA coins, although not as white) whereas the nickel composition coins can be anywhere from reddish brown to dark gray.  Similar are the modern clad dime and quarter (I assume clad halves, too, but I've only found one of those so far, and no Susan B. Anthony mini-dollars yet, nor Eisenhower full sized dollars).

Always happy to find a Warnick myself, and good to see that you agree.  Did you find this with the White's TDI/SL and large '350' coil?

You are correct, a war nickel usually comes from the ground with a distinctive white color.

The nickel was in bad shape when it first came out of the ground.    To start with I was not sure what it was, green on one side, more like the very old copper coins I dig in my area.  No idea why the corrosion, maybe some sort of fertilizer the county used in the past. 

This time I used the Equinox. 

One thing I can say for sure, the signal was awful, couldn't get a repeatable but the sound was just different.  The ID was in the 11ish range but an in the ground nickel will usually read a 12 if I'm hunting in Park 1 presets.

Since I've been hunting mostly with the TDI, it has me thinking about this area and why I'm finding stuff where I thought there was nothing, hunted out.