Chain Numbers For Equinox

I don't know anyone that knows for sure.  We're saying the same thing backwards.

The only thing that I 'skip' is when I am in a patch that includes pennies (solid 20) and I will move on to another target because I have a sore back.  I've been fooled a few times on pennies but I'll save my holes for a better target sometimes.  When I say 20, that does not mean 18 and it does not mean 22.  I don't use a slotted accept/reject as it is a judgment call for that hunt.

My general moto is dig everything so I can see the size, shape, weight and depth of my beach finds.

The few parks that I have dug drive me crazy because of the digging itself.  A couple of recent stops were without a pointer and that is a real pain.  I know I would skip more in parks but it wouldn't be numbers between 3 and 12.

I dig everything until I decide not too. :smile: There are no rules, I do what I enjoy at the time. Sometimes that means digging everything, and sometimes cherry picking only the very best targets. The key to this hobby is you better be enjoying it or you won’t last, so do whatever you have to do to have fun.

On 6/7/2020 at 10:34 AM, Againstmywill said:

I have found a few silver chains on the football field close to me, but a gold chain has eluded me. I'm sure there is one there, but I will need some guidance from others. Might anyone know what a thicker gold chain would come up as on an Equinox? Thanks for any help you can provide. Please see pic for about what I'm thinking.

I am going to go out on a limb and say few have found more chains than me. It is in the 100's. Of course not all gold.  I did pull two gold wrist chains this year with the Nox. BOTH chains rang solid. One at 8 the other at 3 both chains were found unclasped. I never went to all metal or did a 90 degree listen. Just locked and dug them. I doubt either were far down [tuff to tell at the beach] 

For a look at the two chains see this site HERE: https://www.detectorprospector.com/forums/topic/12207-winter-finds-with-nox-800-and-sov-gt/

Dave

Dave, out of 100 chains, how many do you think are clean signals versus crappy signals? It’s rare to be able to ask a person who has found enough to really be able to make a sensible answer to that question, and sounds like you are the man!

2 hours ago, Steve Herschbach said:

Dave, out of 100 chains, how many do you think are clean signals versus crappy signals? It’s rare to be able to ask a person who has found enough to really be able to make a sensible answer to that question, and sounds like you are the man!

Well except for the last two years all of them were found with a Sovereign working in All Metal Mode. So you either hear them, or not. no such thing as choppy with the Sovereign. 

With the Nox so far, there have been no choppy/surprise targets.  From what I read, my hunting style is also different with the NOX. I am hunting in ONE TONE, and using that tone and the numbers in conjunction with all metal mode [if needed]  to make target decisions.

I like the raw information with one tone and I believe it lets me concentrate on targets that want to "ring in".

So far after digging MANY targets that I have decided were already "junk" I have yet to be surprised to find something of value.

Maybe because it is a Salt Beach, Maybe it is just not enough experience with the machine? But for me I do not find my self missing much. For me the machine either locks or it does not [so far].     

Ah, gotcha. Yes, hunting in all metal or single tone does tend to simplify things. You are beach detecting much like I nugget hunt.

Its more park hunting that some of us are thinking of, like me. In that instance I usually am hunting in 50 tones with the Equinox or V3i/DFX, and it is the 50 tones that produces the complex trashy type signal. When park detecting for rings, which is what I am doing normally, this usually aids with can slaw and other trash. I am never actually looking for chains... they are accidental finds. All metal or single tone would reduce or eliminate this 50 tone effect. Food for thought.

In Hawaii beach detecting I hunt heavy surf and am hunting rings with a PI, and so as a rule I think I am missing chains. They must be there but I’m not finding them, even though I do well on the rings.

Thanks Dave.