Top 10 Find For Me

I've been reluctant to post some of my finds this year because it seems that many hunters are saying that they are not finding much due to stay at home mandates, beach closures, sanded in conditions and other reasons. One of my hunting buddies suggested that I wait a bit before posting my finds so that is what I am starting to do. Even though I didn't hunt for 2 months due to the pandemic the other 6 months this year have yielded some of my favorite finds in all the years that I have been detecting. One find in particular stands out. It came near the end of a pretty successful hunt that had already produced a beautiful, heavy, Italian, silver bracelet, costume jewelry and coins. 

It was a faint but wide signal, the kind of tone that usually winds up being a deep rusty blob of iron. As I repeatedly made attempts to retrieve the target from the wet sand it seemed that it was sinking deeper and deeper but I finally snagged it and up came a sight that I didn't expect. It wasn't a piece of junk.

I saw a lengthy, blackish/gold chain but then saw a ring on the chain and a pendant as well! When the ring and pendant were first exposed to the air and sunlight, they were bright orange in color- glowing almost like they were heated up by a torch. I had seen this effect before but never to such an extreme. This must have been buried in the sand a long time. There were a lot of people around so I slipped the find into my pouch feeling pretty confident that it was a good one.

IMG_20200820_082641.jpg.99c22b59a76b6a971bac04c40444368d.jpg

When I got home I saw that the ring and "Star" medallion were both stamped "18K". With the chain being so discolored I was thinking it might be 10K but I located a "750" stamp near the claw and verified 18K with an acid test. I carefully scrubbed the chain with jewelry cream and a toothbrush and the beauty of the the chain was revealed.

IMG_20200822_193840.jpg.6a31216a38ec72170fee51094ca31120.jpg

I forgot to mention that the chain was clasped all in one piece when I found it so it must have come off over someone's head unless they had it in their pocket. It may be 2 bucket-listers in one as I had never found a gold ring on a gold chain before and it is the first 18K gold chain that I have ever found with the detector although it was the ring and star that my detector was seeing. In a subsequent test my TDI BH would not detect the chain by itself.

IMG_20200820_145623.thumb.jpg.77f8389d2127362236c253377305a22b.jpg

The silver bracelet was actually the first target I dug on this hunt. It looked so good and clean when I found it that I was thinking that it could be a fake but it must have been a fresh drop.

1839732577_IMG_20200820_145720(1).thumb.jpg.9e8e4c73b0c1811c6506aa23d50c739e.jpg

Thanks for reading. GL&HH!

1 hour ago, Compass said:

I've been reluctant to post some of my finds this year because it seems that many hunters are saying that they are not finding much due to stay at home mandates, beach closures, sanded in conditions and other reasons.

That's quite considerate of you, and glad you mentioned it.  But, IMO, with some of us not being able to get out as much as we'd like, the postings of finds provides some 'projection' -- you know -- living life vicariously.  Besides, with your success you're going to be building up a backlog and then when you have to show all that in one post we'll really be envious!

Thanks a lot GB, I actually have an old hunting buddy who is no longer able to detect. He tells me to keep sending him pictures of my finds because it reminds him of the good times he had metal detecting. Years ago he showed me a hidden safe in his closet floor and you wouldn't believe the amount of jewelry he had taken off the beaches over the decades.

Congratulations on the 18K and Silver. I have yet to find a ring on a chain. Keep those finds coming. I always enjoy seeing Gold and Silver no matter who finds it.

HH

Mike

Well done ... again.  This is getting OLD and better and better.  Keep getting the bling.

Great find! An 18K chain plus ring and medallion is hard to beat! 

4 hours ago, Skullgolddiver said:

What a nice combination huh?🤣🤣🤣🤣

Thanks diver and all, Yes! I would have been happy just to find the pendant, really happy just to find the ring and super excited to find only the chain. To find all 3 at the same time was unexpected, to say the least, and made that hunt one of my favorites of all time.