Monte's Nail Board Test Questions

10 minutes ago, nickeldNdimed said:

Exactly. So already 3 different scoring methods/scales in just 2 responses. 

I agree it is not a good global test but maybe a good local test. Maybe that is a good way to describe it. And the scoring scale and nails or board used, or technique of the user don’t matter as much as long as they are the same for the group of detectors being compared and those variables are stated or defined. 

Anyway.  I’m wanting to do some detector comparison for fun and to scratch the winter detecting itch so wanting to figure out my method and could not find anything definitive on the scoring.  Thanks!

I only saw 2 different scoring systems in the last two responses.....maybe I missed something.

16/16 is 8/8. 15/16 is 7.5/8. Some people like to deal with hole numbers some like to deal with fractions. It is still the same scoring.

• Like 1

If you want to get technical, Montes official way of scoring is 8 total possible points. The detector must hit the target in both directions to be considered a point.

• Like 3

I completely agree with Abenson ..and Jeff...... it's right to use the original "Monte performance Nailboard Test ... and hold the coil at a height of 1-2 inches ... and set the detector so that ... you minimize false signals from nails ...

one more thing .. set the optimal sensitivity on the detector so that you get the best results - on the separation in this test ... the highest sensitivity of the detector may not be the best here ... sometimes you only need 70% sensitivity ...- but you can find out for yourself ...

optimize the other detector settings ... for the best possible separation.

For standard comparison tests, use coins ... such as Indian head cent, 5 us cent nickel, ..... but also silver Dime, because it will be really difficult to separate ..

of course ... for your own testing, use coins as well - which are located in your terrain ...

IMG_20220201_152651.jpg

This is from Monte himself if anyone is interested in how the nail board came about. A lot of people will say the test is not relevant to actual conditions. However I disagree to some extent (except the nails not being rusty) this configuration can be found in many Western US ghost towns. I've actually hunted the ghost town of Frisco many times, which Monte references in the article.

https://www.ahrps.org/_tipsAndTechniques/Nail_Board_Performance_Test.pdf

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Jeff McClendon said:

I only saw 2 different scoring systems in the last two responses.....maybe I missed something.

16/16 is 8/8. 15/16 is 7.5/8. Some people like to deal with hole numbers some like to deal with fractions. It is still the same scoring.

I suppose you are correct Jeff. So 2, not 3, point still stands that yet there is another variable not often specified.  I may have missed it but I don’t think the official instructions specified a scoring system.  

I suppose good hit both directions keeps it simple, half points or double scale of 16 adds more resolution to the results, but what about in which combination you achieved those points?  Are there multiple ways to the same score or will detectors always miss the same combination of sweeps to arrive at same score?  Would a 3rd way be to list all 16 sweeps with direction possibilities and then provide a chart showing which were a pass/hit and fail/miss?

I don't think the score thing really matters as long as you state how you are scoring each metal detector. Whether that's 16/16 or 8/8 with half points included.