Scored Some Loot!

matt

My wife really wanted to go to snorkeling at the beach today, but I have a landscape project to get started so I didn't want to go. She convinced the kids and I to go so off we went to a very popular spot in Maui. We went a little later in the morning so there were quite a lot of people already out there.

I'm not one to care what other people think so I started detecting. There was a spot where the tide had washed out the sand a foot or so and that's where I focused on. Several curious  people asked me if I found anything and only 30 minutes into the hunt I had a few coins. A father and son were very interested as I dug up a cent coin and I said I knew it probably was because it was a 20 on the target ID on the Nox 600. Sure enough it was. Now I am just learning to beach detect after being an avid nugget hunter for over 20 years. The father and son watched for a few minutes and I had another target. It was an 8 and I said probably not a coin, but a hair pin because I had dug one up a few minutes prior to them watching me and it was an 8. To my surprise hanging half out of my scoop was a balled up necklace! It was silver in color and turned out to be 925 Italy! It measure 26 inches long! A few targets later I got a tiny little silver ring, also 925 and has a couple tiny stones. Turned out the ring has cz also stamped in it so probably cubic zarconia.

For an hour and a half hunt I ended up with the necklace, ring, fake gold ear ring, 7 cents, 3 nickels, 1 dime, and 1 quarter, 2 hair pins and 1 pull tab. I found another quarter but must have dropped it. I would have hunted a little longer but there were just too many people by 11:00 and I was almost getting hit by people on boogie boards since the tide was coming in.

Going to try and get back out at sun up to another popular beach tomorrow! The beach next to my house doesn't get waves and surf so I probably won't go there. I hunted it at Thanksgiving and only got a few dollars in change from the dry sand area where people put there towels out.

IMG_6714.jpg

IMG_6715.jpg

Great way to start the year- congrats! Nothing like seeing a shiny chain hanging halfway out of a scoop. 😮

Great hunting for such a short time, keep up the work and good luck on your next hunt.

16 hours ago, Compass said:

Great way to start the year- congrats! Nothing like seeing a shiny chain hanging halfway out of a scoop. 😮

Thanks! Finding a chain dangling from my scoop was unexpected! I'll always remember that feeling and hope it happens again. Good luck out there!

12 hours ago, Valens Legacy said:

Great hunting for such a short time, keep up the work and good luck on your next hunt.

Thanks for the comment! Sun is coming up and I think it's time to try for more. Good luck out there!