Smaller Coil For Trash

Do have a stupid question, did you try to dig any of those iron tones especially the ones with higher numbers?

Seems like you may have a nice pile of hot rocks more than just iron.

Naturally occuring iron around here often doesn't even give an audible tones on any of my machines but rather causes the phase meter to kick up and if in all metal you can hear rises. Processed iron like nails etc I would hear the targets, larger iron may spike but will still have iron tone on tip or tail of the coil.

Hot rocks, patches of coal and coke react much like your video.

For those not familiar with the Gold Bug family, 40 is the nominal dividing line between ferrous and non-ferrous.  (That's true in both modes, All Metal and Discrim.).

Nails, wire, etc.  That's my guess as to what is sounding off in the video.  If a building was torn down, bazillions of nails just get scattered.  I wish demolitionists would drag a magnet over the sites but that thought would make them laugh so hard they might just pass out from lack of ability to inhale.

I thought the suggestion to clear out the iron was meant for larger pieces.  It's typical of many razed building sites, especially western 19th - early 20th century ghost towns, to be littered with sheet metal (from roofs, siding, etc.)  Smaller pieces of that will mimic coins, in my experience.  But the larger pieces can be figured out just from their extent (especially noticeable in pinpoint mode).  I can see clearing those out if time allows, to open up what's underneath.  That assumes the property owner (private or public) doesn't mind the loss of vegetation/smoothed ground/etc.

The variation in the ferous range seems more than just nails. Usually when I have hit patches of nails the numbers are much more similar. Hitting a patch of coal looks a lot like what Flydog shows in the video. In either case would be nice to dig a few of those targets to see and do a bit of research to see if there were buildings that where torn down.

Yeah , when I saw those higher numbers flash on your display Flydog , I thought🤔 I would have investigated a bit more on just those and dug one or two that stayed consistent if for no other reason just to get an idea of wth  I was up against causing all that ruckus ....  And , well ,they couldn't all be bad targets could they? (yes LOL )     Plus I'm there anyway , might as well wear out the digger a bit . 

It's the game for me , I (try) to not keep score though. BUT , If it's gonna be my lucky day ................Hey , it wouldn't make me sad.  😏  

Sometimes I detect for hours with zero targets . You do get to say you had a great beep score there ,,,and you even got a cool video to show us ! ( sorry , I had to put just 1)🤪 

3 hours ago, rvpopeye said:

Yeah , when I saw those higher numbers flash on your display Flydog , I thought🤔 I would have investigated a bit more on just those and dug one or two that stayed consistent if for no other reason just to get an idea of wth  I was up against causing all that ruckus ....  And , well ,they couldn't all be bad targets could they? (yes LOL )     Plus I'm there anyway , might as well wear out the digger a bit . 

It's the game for me , I (try) to not keep score though. BUT , If it's gonna be my lucky day ................Hey , it wouldn't make me sad.  😏  

Sometimes I detect for hours with zero targets . You do get to say you had a great beep score there ,,,and you even got a cool video to show us ! ( sorry , I had to put just 1)🤪 

Consistent numbers are always worth checking, found some nice little rings that way.

Detecting for hours without any targets? Reminds me the time I was running my Tejon and it wasn't making any sound, thought I hit a large quiet spot. Pulled the trigger to gb no sound no threshold, turned it off then back on no beeps. Thought the batteries went dead, got home and put them on the charger and in 5 min they were all full! Usually a couple hours to charge so I popped them back in and nadda, no start up sound and my heart sank thought the poor bugger died.

Unplugged the headphones and fired it up one more time and beep beep beep beep... I was stoked.

Turned out the stupid volume switch on the headphones that was located on the cord was rubbing against my jacket and worked it's way off!

Yes, in the video there was a quick 60 and notice how I go back for another look, but it doesn't come up again. Thats why I want to try a small coil. Less targets under the coil to give the disc circuit less to think about. I did not bother digging it. Nickels give a solid repeatable 58 and old pull tabs are 62 and can vary, sometimes conveniently a 58.

And I do not actually know what all that junk is in the ground, never dug any to find out, just assumed nails. I do see burnt wood/charcoal in the ground. Been thinking about digging some poor targets to see, just havnt yet.  Possibly bog iron?

Was it KAC that said he has seen worse?  OK you win the Trashy Ground Award.LOL

5 hours ago, kac said:

The variation in the ferous range seems more than just nails. Usually when I have hit patches of nails the numbers are much more similar. Hitting a patch of coal looks a lot like what Flydog shows in the video. In either case would be nice to dig a few of those targets to see and do a bit of research to see if there were buildings that where torn down.

You might be on to something there.  I can see how nails would all give the same, or similar ID. 'Ya know I do not even look at what the ID is doing when it sounds iron. I just scan the ground 'till I get a VCO/high tone that alerts me to a non-ferros target, then I glance at the ID. Right or wrong I pay no attention to the junk.

Yes there was a building there, 5 story high and burnt down to the ground line.

Now I definitely feel the need to dig the junk to see exactly what it is.   Will report.

Very good chance the burnt timbers were burried and that is what your machine is picking up on.

When I hunt in all metal mode I try to listen to the size of a target (duration of the signal) more than the loudness.

Duration gives you a clue of a coin size vs a can and loudness gives you an idea of depth. I know it's tempting to dig the loudest but quite often the softer deeper targets are the ones others miss.

When you have all those targets the easier way to hunt it is with some sort of discrimination and not use all metal mode unless your mind is strong and you don't go mad checking every blip. Gold prospecting machines are tougher to use in those conditions because of the limited discrimination you have but that doesn't make it impossible.

Dig a few of those targets and see what they are.

LOL kac

I do that on my laptop all the time ! The volume control on the side is in just the wrong place ....aaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgh.

Just early spring , no depositors  , a clean beach , just sanded in....???? IDK 

I do test with my scoop but didn't count those as targets , and  found coins or at least junk after the dry spells  when I usually decide to dig anything if it would just find something .  I remember one that after chasing it with dozens of  scoops in shallow surf turned out to be a chunk of lobster trap  arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgh (again). Davey Jones was a lobster fisherman ???? There IS a local boat called The Flying Dutchman so...????  

Flydog

The charcoal theory is sounding more  likely  ,but , ya never really knowwwwww till ya dig a beep or two,,,.,,or three.

It's kinda like an old fella told me once a long time ago when I was mentioning a dry spell of a different sort.  "Some do and some don't . Some will and some won't . Ask 'em all , no hard feelins"  If ya get me drift.............😎Skuh kuh kuh kuh kuh

Maybe a bigger "coil" would have helped me then but a smaller one seems like a good call for yer situation yup yup .