Coiltek Coils For The GPX 6000 - Confirmed!

Coiltek

I wasn't aware X Coils was making any coils for the 6000 at all until a few days ago when I asked for some kind of comment from them, and you responded.

We ask about these things because we aren't mind readers. Maybe I missed something earlier on the forum when I was away for 3 or 4 months regarding sizes? 

I got told often that there were no issues with 6000 EMI when I posted about it early on. Did that turn out to be the reason bigger coils are infeasible on it out of curiosity?

I did an entire thread on 6000 X-coils as they were being prototype tested and the sizes that made it through were 8" round, 10x6", 12x6", 15x10" and 12" round, you might have been awol at the time, they're not releasing them for public sale now though.  I don't think extra EMI would be the reason they're not making bigger coils, that's just something that would bother me where I detect.

Thanks, the picture is a bit clearer now with some 3rd party evidence, seeing as they can't even sell approved coils and have no horse in the race.

After the 7000, it's hard to know exactly what is or isn't possible and what's just marketing at play. Sometimes it feels like pulling teeth trying to cut down to the actual reality of issues with these machines. It's either that or just take it all for face value, which history has shown me is usually wrong when it comes with dealing with corporations.

22 hours ago, araratgold said:

JP,

You have stated that " The GPX 6000 has the same outright depth on large targets as the GPX 5000 "

Surely, if this is the case, the 6K would benefit from an 18 or 25 round, just the same as the 5K benefited from the larger coils ??? Especially for those who can't afford a 6K and a ZED ?? Or would EMI make it unusable ?

IMHO, your statement that the 6K doesn't need big coils makes no sense, as there are still many places that have never had a coil over them, where deep gold may still sit !

Rick

The GPX6000, in my long term experience and on information provided to me from the designer, has the same outright depth as the older GPX series all things being equal, I’ve borne this out on 2 foot digs on 2 ounce pieces with the supplied GPX11 mono coil so know the 6000 has GOOD depth. However as users of the GPX17 know, an increase in size of coil comes with a proportional increase in EMI, this is due to the GPX6000 being more prone to EMI due to its very wide band width, so by the time you get up in size (the GPX17 x 13 = 30 inches divided by 2 is basically equivalent to a 15 inch round (less depth though due the elliptical shape but also less EMI too)). 

This means because of the way the detector is set up (user controls like Threshold Pitch, No Fixed GB, Sensitivity etc) there will be issues with EMI, especially Sferic noise in remote places, so using a bigger coil will be negating the advantage. There is plenty of commentary about operators saying the GPX17 does not have much depth yet it is comparative to older 17” elliptical coils made for the 5000 and 4500’s, so you then have to ask the question why that is so? The GPX6000 is aimed fairly and squarely at what it offers performance wise over previous tech, it is not aimed at competing against the GPZ7000, the technology will NEVER compete against ZVT its just can’t so there is no point in designing it that way.

I understand the desire for a “one detector does all” and for users wanting to have more options, one could rightly assume Minelab recognise this and supplied the detector with 3 very popular coil sizes right off the bat and then very shortly thereafter opened up the tech to the aftermarket guys. I have no clear idea of where the after market coil options size range will end up and can only go by what I’m seeing which is CT and NF aiming squarely at their most popular sizes with very clear definitions between the coil makers. It makes sense they make coils that compliment what the GPX6000 is clearly VERY good at doing, namely light weight and ultra sensitive coils to compliment that aspect. 

I’ve not stated the 6000 doesn’t need big coils, I’ve said and meant “why would you when there is already plenty of far better options for users and has been for many years now”. Why try to make a detector do something its not primarily designed to do? This reminds me of all the small coil commentary on the GPZ7000, pondering on this I see the correlation with people fishing, the guy on the shore casts out as far as he can, the guy in the boat anchors up and casts towards the shore. 😂  I suppose it’s just human behaviour where we always think/hope the grass is greener on the other side of the fence and when you actually put that person on the “OTHER” side of the fence they are then found looking back across the fence again.🤪 

For deep gold I choose to use the GPZ7000 and it’s in the full knowledge that I’m missing easy gold with the 6000, right now there is a plethora of easy gold for the 6K even on totally flogged patches so I do find myself cringing a little by sticking to my larger deeper gold guns, I truly am passing up on EASY gold. Lately I’ve been putting in a 3 or 4 hours session chasing deep gold with the 7K and then if I get “Skunked” I grab the 6K and go get a few rattly bits to lift the spirits, it really is that stupidly easy. 

JP

• 4 weeks later...

yes, straight from the horses mouth

1778703729_coiltekreleasedate.jpg.f6fb40fca38615c1d7e1c29f05813c3e.jpg

The ad was put up yesterday and only 12 people liked it, maybe people aren't too happy with the delays.

July 28 release date, not sure if that's the date dealers are expecting to get them or the date the first shipments leave Coiltek, I've pretty much written off getting any from either of the Aussie manufacturers until late August or even September which in a way works for me, ski season starts to wind up and detecting season kicks in with new coils 🙂