Quest Xpointer Max Review (update 2)

On 4/12/2022 at 7:20 AM, F350Platinum said:

The Quest Xpointer doesn't have a turn off switch for disc. 

the X Pointer Max does give you the ability to turn off the discrimination, if you want to it can be ran with the discrimination on or off, personally I like having the Disc on

• 3 weeks later...

Mine arrived yesterday.  Wow, what great pinpointer (so far from my kitchen table test).  Volume is adustable, disc has low tone for ferrous and red blinking LEDs, high tone and green LEDs for non-ferrous.  You can turn the white Illumination LED off if you wish.  Magic holster works great.  Waterproof to 5 meters.  Four sensitivity levels:  1, 2, 3, and boost. 

D51D59A6-687B-4600-B72E-C8A45096CD1A.jpeg

• Like 4

Just got mine yesterday too! Noticed right away it didn't go nuts when turned on in boost, even after waiting a bit. 😀 

Great for verifying iron on relic and beach hunts. Can't wait to get out with it as an MI-6 backup. 👍 Dunno what I'll do with the old one. 🤔

• Like 4

6 hours ago, NCtoad said:

Mine arrived yesterday.  Wow, what great pinpointer (so far from my kitchen table test).  Volume is adustable, disc has low tone for ferrous and red blinking LEDs, high tone and green LEDs for non-ferrous.  You can turn the white Illumination LED off if you wish.  Magic holster works great.  Waterproof to 5 meters.  Four sensitivity levels:  1, 2, 3, and boost. 

D51D59A6-687B-4600-B72E-C8A45096CD1A.jpeg

I am loving mine for sure

4 hours ago, F350Platinum said:

Just got mine yesterday too! Noticed right away it didn't go nuts when turned on in boost, even after waiting a bit. 😀 

Great for verifying iron on relic and beach hunts. Can't wait to get out with it as an MI-6 backup. 👍 Dunno what I'll do with the old one. 🤔

Keep it for a backup LOL glad you picked one up

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, DSMITH said:

I am loving mine for sure

Keep it for a backup LOL glad you picked one up

I have the original 😀 used it a lot, but the falsing in the higher sensitivities was annoying. It was great to "Finish" a dig, one time it alerted me to the silver ring in a hole filled with iron nails.

The MI-6 blows it away for depth however. I have the F-Pulse, two carrots and two MI-6 pointers, the Quest doesn't compare to the MI-6, or at least it didn't. It's 3d to the F-Pulse. None of my other pointers find stuff faster or deeper.

I'm going to give the Xpointer a go at a local beach soon, and then run it beside the MI-6 at Emerald Isle. We will see. 🙂

It's a great pinpointer, maybe the improved version will come up. 👍

• Like 3

• 5 weeks later...

Have you tried the Quest on small targets, like small gold nuggets? My reason for asking was I watched this video of my pending new arrival Sphinx pinpointer and the guy compared it to the Quest Pro and the Quest performed very poorly by comparison. 

I've never found a gold chain, but I believe they're a hard to detect target and the Quest is blind to it, yet the other slams on it. 

I'm a bit of a pinpointer addict but haven't bought a Quest yet as they so far haven't shown themselves to be any better than others I already have at anything really.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/14/2023 at 1:19 AM, phrunt said:

Have you tried the Quest on small targets, like small gold nuggets? My reason for asking was I watched this video of my pending new arrival Sphinx pinpointer and the guy compared it to the Quest Pro and the Quest performed very poorly by comparison. 

I've never found a gold chain, but I believe they're a hard to detect target and the Quest is blind to it, yet the other slams on it. 

I'm a bit of a pinpointer addict but haven't bought a Quest yet as they so far haven't shown themselves to be any better than others I already have at anything really.

Those are older model Quest and Sphynx pinpointers and neither one did very well in my opinion. I'm sure the new Sphinx is much better and the Quest X-Pointer Max is much more sensitive, if anything it may be too sensitive. My Max is a first generation and it falses a lot even at the medium setting. I haven't figured out where to find the newer version, which is supposed to be much better.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, CPT_GhostLight said:

Those are older model Quest and Sphynx pinpointers and neither one did very well in my opinion. I'm sure the new Sphinx is much better and the Quest X-Pointer Max is much more sensitive, if anything it may be too sensitive. My Max is a first generation and it falses a lot even at the medium setting. I haven't figured out where to find the newer version, which is supposed to be much better.

try Andy and Charlene Sabich

https://www.treasurehuntingoutfitters.com/store/Quest-XPointer-Max-with-Magic-Holster-p556242131

On 7/14/2023 at 12:19 AM, phrunt said:

I did try mine on some shotgun pellets when I first purchased it both the old version and the new version gave a tone on the BBs and showed them as non ferrous, I was impressed, if that helps

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks, interesting they went with 9.5kHz rather than the usual 12 most pin pointers sit on and the lower frequency would normally mean less sensitive to small stuff.

• Like 2