Last Gold Of 2021

Compass

Last week I hunted the wet sand of some local beaches for the first time in about a month. I wanted to go earlier in the month but just had too many other things going on. When I got to the beach I was surprised to see that a lot of beach erosion had taken place and was afraid that I was too late to take advantage. Sure enough, targets were few and far between below most of the cuts but I did find 2 areas where I was making some deeper finds with some regularity. 

I was finding more trash than I expected with the TDI and hunting in a steady rain which tired me out sooner than usual. I also think I was out of shape from not hunting much the previous month. I did manage to find a few silver rings and silver earring before taking a break to warm up with some hot soup for lunch. I decided to swap detectors because of the trash and continued where I left off with my Excalibur. The very first signal I got in "all metal" rang out in a solid mid-tone when I switched to "discriminate". I scooped out some wet sand and kicked it off to the side and saw a quarter-sized disc with that unmistakable yellow gold color laying on top of the mound! (7.5 grams of 14K)

I didn't make nearly as many good finds in 2021 as I did the year before but Mother Nature had a lot to do with that. I am still grateful for the little treasure I did find and for the health, time and resources to be able to enjoy this hobby of ours. Wishing you all the best in 2022!

IMG_20211231_090514__01.jpg

1 hour ago, Joe Beechnut OBN said:

That's a Nice chunk! Hoping 2022 is the year of the beach Pirate!

"Year of the Beach Pirate" is what I think the translation is on that Kanji medallion! 😉

6 hours ago, Pyriteboy said:

George,

Nice to see you found some time to get out and locate some productive ground. Best of luck in '22....

-Jerry

Thanks Jerry, Same to you as well!

40 minutes ago, Valens Legacy said:

Great finds and some nice gold.

Thanks VL, Any time I find enough to pay for gas I'm happy!