Different Farm More Relics, And A Whatzit

Back to good here in VA today, it started a bit chilly but warmed up to 60 with very light wind. I wanted to get another hunt in the bag before working on my RV, Savannah is only a month away. Going to get the yard going soon too.20220314_095100.thumb.jpg.c601616f4f83ee93d354c3fdf91f438b.jpg

Went back to the farm that is close to my house. Today I walked way out to the back, about 3/4 mile from the road. That cell tower is an EMI radiator, it's tough to use multi with high sensitivity, but I managed to get it to settle down.

I had scouted this field and didn't think too much was there, but I did find a spot that people were in a long time ago, and pretty much searched it all day.

Didn't do too bad:20220314_184449.thumb.jpg.9acab03a4f8f9432ec064dd07a5875ab.jpg

Got what I think is a watch clip, notice one side of the hook  has a clover, the other side is bent over but seems identical. A small drawer knob next to the big dandy button and a thimble. I was surprised the thimble was in great shape for being in the ground so long. Small button with no backmarks. Bottom row is the first spun Tombac button I've found with an intact shank, a stud, and another small button like thing, it's copper and heavy but had no hole in the shank. Could be a rivet, but it's too thick.20220314_185021.thumb.jpg.694c1f46a080402d3fe8c4f12afd22f8.jpg

My favorite find of the day is the whatzit:20220314_184545.thumb.jpg.2b0167286230e436a3dfde4c09a2e937.jpg

It looks like a key fob but I don't know if they made them that long ago. The pattern is interesting, some I showed it to say it's a frog, I see a Cicada. It has one small bump on the back.

If anyone can tell me what this is it would be appreciated.

Not much trash, this is 7 hours worth. Got one coin, a badly corroded Zincoln. You're gonna dig buck balls if you want Tombacs.20220314_175118.thumb.jpg.db210962a210990235ab3e71e3c57347.jpg

From Wikipedia:

(Pocket watch) styles changed in the 17th century and men began to wear watches in pockets instead of as pendants (the woman's watch remained a pendant into the 20th century).[4][5] This is said to have occurred in 1675 when Charles II of England introduced waistcoats.[6] To fit in pockets, their shape evolved into the typical pocket watch shape, rounded and flattened with no sharp edges. Glass was used to cover the face beginning around 1610. Watch fobs began to be used, the name originating from the German word fuppe, a small pocket.[5] The watch was wound and also set by opening the back and fitting a key to a square arbor, and turning it.  (emphasis mine)

Just how big is your whatzit in size, as it could be a decorate key like some that I had seen before. They were along the lines of a skeleton key but more fancy. Grandfather had several of them that looked like trees or animals at one time.

Looks like you had a great day hunting and I wish you more luck on your next outing.

That whatzit could be a fancy drawer pull also. Watch fob is very probable too. Decent hunt. 

6 hours ago, Valens Legacy said:

Just how big is your whatzit in size, as it could be a decorate key like some that I had seen before. They were along the lines of a skeleton key but more fancy. Grandfather had several of them that looked like trees or animals at one time.

Looks like you had a great day hunting and I wish you more luck on your next outing.

Thanks! Here's a photo with a ruler. 2" long.20220315_080553.thumb.jpg.7a6e0c2ae11f9958d8bdf7a9059580a0.jpg

26 minutes ago, schoolofhardNox said:

That whatzit could be a fancy drawer pull also. Watch fob is very probable too. Decent hunt. 

At first I thought it was a drawer pull, but the top would have been split to fit into the backplate. 🙂

However, if it was in a loop, that could still be what it is.

9 hours ago, GB_Amateur said:

From Wikipedia:

(Pocket watch) styles changed in the 17th century and men began to wear watches in pockets instead of as pendants (the woman's watch remained a pendant into the 20th century).[4][5] This is said to have occurred in 1675 when Charles II of England introduced waistcoats.[6] To fit in pockets, their shape evolved into the typical pocket watch shape, rounded and flattened with no sharp edges. Glass was used to cover the face beginning around 1610. Watch fobs began to be used, the name originating from the German word fuppe, a small pocket.[5] The watch was wound and also set by opening the back and fitting a key to a square arbor, and turning it.  (emphasis mine)

Thanks GB!

While I was following the history of watch fobs, another relic I found came to light, this one - I dug it in another part of this field.20220305_201950.thumb.jpg.5869057fc28795eafb42caaadbddc00d.jpg20220305_200927.thumb.jpg.90da1e6155268f4fbebe40bbf8410e46.jpg

It might be a Victorian era Chatelaine. It is a handbag of sorts that women hung all kinds of stuff on.

16 hours ago, F350Platinum said:

Thanks! Here's a photo with a ruler. 2" long.

Not a key as the ones grandfather had was over 3 inches long, I would have to say a drawer pull with the holder part missing.

Good luck on identifying it.