Is Garrett About To Release A New Gold Prospecting Pi?

How is the ATX for EMI? It seems the one El Nino is using was doing great for EMI and he seemed to be testing it out in an urban area, the sensitivity he was getting with it was outstanding.  By the looks of it the ATX is a solid base to build this new PI on and if they have improved areas where it was lacking then it's sounding promising.

Australians are lucky, especially Western Australian prospectors as they're so far from sources of EMI it really doesn't matter much to them, the odd thunderstorm and just background EMI nowhere near the levels of people that hunt nearer to urban areas or large population areas.  I suspect that Africa is similar, hard to know. 

By the sounds of it the EMI in the USA is pretty bad, unfortunately for me the areas I like to detect are high EMI mainly from power lines more than anything else so I don't enjoy using my 6000 at them when I can run the 7000 and not care at all about EMI, the same reason I didn't overly enjoy my 4500.  The one interesting thing is one of the spot I go to regularly is really close to an international airport, and planes are on their decent for landing and taking off flying over me all of the time often every 10 to 15 minutes at very low levels when they pass and the planes cause me no major EMI problems with the 6000 or any other detector.

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Question-  I havent noticed an issue, but could it be an aircraft’s transponder frequency (1090 MHz) that is causing the perceived aircraft-caused interference some are having on their 6000’s? I’d think that Garrett would have taken note of this issue as well.

Seems logical this machine is an ATX derivative, but who knows, could be a VLF for all we know. 

I remember getting excited about a new ML detector just to find out it was the Vanquish, so... :laugh:

Yeah I'm not sure what it is exactly that causes the EMI. It's definitely certain frequencies though, whatever it is. I had 2 Blackhawk choppers buzz me at what felt like 50ft one day in Gold Basin. Close enough I could see the gunners hanging out the door waving and laughing at me as I stumbled and fell in confusion. I could hear them coming on my GPZ before I heard/felt them in the air...stopped to fiddle with my machine and then bam, Blackhawks. 

The reason I'm confident it's a PI is the coil size, looks to be 11", unlikely to sell a VLF prospecting machine with an 11" as stock.  Also their most powerful gold prospecting detector ever made (By Garrett) is unlikely to be a VLF when they have the ATX on their books. 

I'm more inclined to think it's mechanical noise. I can hear my ATV for instance and it has no transponders or anything. I know another building large coils here has some relevant experience too but I won't comment for them as I'm unsure what is public or not. :cool:

Engines actually produce a phenominal amount of electrical noise, different engines probably produce different frequencies and harmonics.

So far, it's WiFi signals that give me the most fits.

One spot with my 4500 was next to a highway, well what we call a highway in NZ, a two lane road with a car about every 20 minutes 😛  I was detecting about 30 to 100 feet from the road above the road surface on a hillside.  It was funny as you knew the cars were coming before they were in sight as the detector let you know.

When cars were coming my GPX would go nutty before they got to me, after they passed it quietened down quickly.   Every car seemed to do it, I thought maybe their alternator.   I haven't had the 6000 there as it's got too many hot rocks to bother. 

10 minutes ago, phrunt said:

The reason I'm confident it's a PI is the coil size, looks to be 11", unlikely to sell a VLF prospecting machine with an 11" as stock.  Also their most powerful gold prospecting detector ever made (By Garrett) is unlikely to be a VLF when they have the ATX on their books. 

All good points. You are probably right, I just don't want to make to many assumptions since I learned from the Vanquish release. :smile:

I'm still hoping we all get surprised and it's something new like this half sine machine.

7 minutes ago, phrunt said:

Every car seemed to do it, I thought maybe their alternator.

Yep, alternators generate noise. Also just sparks and combustion, they can both be essentially wide-band EMI impulses generating huge swaths of interference. Lightning is basically just a massive version of a spark plug, and we definitely hear lightning.

My SDC was and now my 6k are all quiet with a cellphone on and even when calling with it- maybe a EMI difference between phone models?