Amazed At How Quickly White’s Discussion Faded

Yes it is digital and not like the MXT as it has been compared to. In that regard I have to start learning all over.  I replaced the 10 inch double D with a 5.3, 6 inch Concentric inch coil.  Digital versus Analog signal (beep) completely different. The ground in this part of WV is "HOT"  Plenty of iron contaminated soil.  Shale, limestone, Tough.  What may be the good thing to this is where I'm at there is many civil war camps along the creeks, Troops had to have been swimming as much as they could, Summer and fall were miserably hot. These camps (have been very good for Me) My finds tell me these camps have not been found by others, The finds have been amazing.  Thanks for the reply.

• Like 2

I've never had the pleasure of owning a White's detector other than pinpointer and I guess at a stretch you could say my Garrett 24k.  I have a couple of T2's which I believe are just a bit more modern of an MTX, would there be truth in that? A digital MXT?

I've done 40+ years of Analog detecting.  In the little time I have had with the digital MXS what I have found is "Signal sizing" and "Signal shaping"  a target.  The MXT (analog) will give me a nice tight compact beep on a coin or civil war button, But if it's a larger target, horse shoe, large nonferrous item the signal will be a large sized signal.  No need to go to all metal pinpointing to size/shape  the target. If my search is for coins sized objects and it's small and tight, I dig it. If it's large, I just pass it on by. 

Now with the MXS (digital) those large targets for the most part give me a compact signal, Which fools me. What I have to do is go into pinpoint mode and size/shape the signal that way. Extra steps in making a dig decision. 

I'm a beginner to digital, You may never have used an analog machine to see this difference.  What may make a big difference in comparing our experiences in detecting is, What are we hunting for? Prospecting, Beach, Relic, Coin. What is the soil like?  What is the land use history. My West Virginia hunting is on land that's has 300 years of history AND trash, iron infestation.  I haven't been in a park coin shooting in? well 20 years. Never hunted the beach nor gold fields. I have to relearn my detector for each place I hunt, the conditions change with each site. 

• Like 1

On 6/10/2023 at 8:16 PM, phrunt said:

I have a couple of T2's which I believe are just a bit more modern of an MTX, would there be truth in that? A digital MXT?

Both were engineered by Dave Johnson, so it could be that it was Teknetics version of an MXT. 

• Like 1

Thanks Carl!!!!

Whenever you post something on this forum I learn something or more often many things like your current post. I love it when you correct me especially when it concerns detectors and pinpointers that I really like.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The MX-series is still one of my favorite, I have an MXT, MX9, and MX-Sport. Except for salt water, they are still competitive detectors. I never liked the T2/F75 (again, same design) because of the single-button interface, which I found to be awful. The F70 is a much better experience.

• Like 5

Quote:"I never liked the T2/F75 ... because of the single-button interface"

They could've done more with the interface, especially considering it's really a two-button interface. But the rotary encoder's button is lamentably under-used. On my F75 [early model] the sole function I recall it had was as a 'cancel' function when setting up a notch pattern. I'm sure this was never even mentioned in the User Manual. As I rarely had need for notching of any kind, I never used the 'cancel' button.
It did serve a secondary function - pressing it 'woke up' the interface. One use of this was if you were wanting to switch between 'Disc' and 'All-Metal'. If you left the menu cursor at the top of the list, you could switch between Disc/AM by rotating the encoder one click cw / ccw. But the processor has a time-out, so this function doesn't stay working. Pressing the encoder button 'wakes up' the processor, and then the encoder will function as Disc/AM select.

My 'plan' was to automate this action:
Rotary encoder rotation can be simulated. Intercept the two quadrature signals, and pass them through XOR gates. Then "one click cw" or "one click ccw" can be done easily. The remaining 'logic' comprises timer functions to activate "encoder button push" , followed by " encoder rotate" , plus a front-panel push-button to trigger the action, toggling back and forth ( or 'press and hold' to toggle )
In practice, it would all fit in an 8-pin microcontroller ( Microchip PIC / AT Tiny etc ) , so there would be hardly any hardware, all software.

[[ sorry for off-topic ]]
  • Like 1

I have an abandoned public swimming pool near me that dates back to the 1950’s. I’ve blanketed that entire area with an array of detectors over the years, including the Equinox and Legend. Recently, I returned with with my MX Sport and recovered two silver coins at 6+ inches each… So definitely still a competitive detector in my opinion.

• Like 3

On 6/19/2023 at 11:37 AM, Geotech said:

Guys, the MXT is no more analog than the MX-Sport. They are the same basic design: analog demodulators, everything else is digital. The MXT used an 8-bit PIC micro and assembly language. The MX5 moved it to a 32-bit micro and "C" language, and cleaned up the analog portion a bit. Otherwise, same design. The MX-Sport is the same design as the MX5, with feature changes. The T2 is also the same design as the MXT, with feature changes. None of them are any more analog, or more digital, than the others.

Tidbit: When the MX5 was released, there were also MX7 and MX9 models ready to go, with progressively more features. White's did not want to release them, because they didn't want them to impact the sales of the MXT. No, I don't understand that logic, either. Years later, a different MX7 was released. I still have an MX9 prototype, the only one in existence.

That explains why the T2 and MXT are two of my favorite machines.  I wonder if Dave learned from the MXT that most people preferred it with the 6x10 DD or 10x12 DD coils and designed the T2 to be stock with a DD coil.  I never had the MX5 or MX7.  I did have the MX Sport and did like it.  Always wanted to try the MX7 but never got around to it.  

• Like 1