Running The Equinox 800 In All Metal Single Tone At The Beach?

11 hours ago, au pirata said:

I would like to know what advantages you feel 1 tone is over 50,I will be trying 1 tone, for the next week of hunting.

On the Equinox 800 platform: 

I use one tone for several reasons. I do not like my detector chirping at me in different tones, makes it harder to tell the difference between false chirps and fringe targets. Also, this allows me to hear subtleties such as target size and depth better. 

I identify the ferrous/nonferrous targets two ways. First of course is by TID.
The second way I identify Nonferrous is by the sound in horseshoe mode.  If a target will not ID correctly or is fringe and very deep. I then procced to sweep slowly 360 degrees around the target. If the target double rings OR breaks down in signal strength as the coil passes over it, then the fringe target is 100% iron. You cannot make a fringe nonferrous target double ring on an Equinox. 

• Like 5

I don't know of a single beach that is uniform throughout. It will have more mineralized patches, others infested with iron and some with more or less black sand... Why use a single configuration? I don't understand.

I start in a basic configuration and I am modifying it to my liking.

On the beach I usually use All Metal and I spent a couple of years in 2 tones and without using the threshold much.

Nowadays, there are times when I have the horseshoe in Off and when I hear the humbral cut plus a low and broken tone; works the same for me. If it is also deep, better...

Any detector upon reaching its depth limit will give you ferrous tones. And it's not always a nail.

Currently I use All Metal and Beach 1 or 2 if I get in the water. In dry Sand Park 2 and once Gold 1.

I left the two tones behind and run in 5 or dP on the X-Terra Pro.

Depends.

Not all are "round signs", there are also broken rings, earrings, small chains...

You have to go out more and think less, the Equinox loves Gold.

That ring sounded like ass...

IMG_20230609_140513.jpg

IMG_20230609_180431.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/24/2023 at 3:25 AM, midalake said:

On the Equinox 800 platform: 

I use one tone for several reasons. I do not like my detector chirping at me in different tones, makes it harder to tell the difference between false chirps and fringe targets. Also, this allows me to hear subtleties such as target size and depth better. 

I identify the ferrous/nonferrous targets two ways. First of course is by TID.
The second way I identify Nonferrous is by the sound in horseshoe mode.  If a target will not ID correctly or is fringe and very deep. I then procced to sweep slowly 360 degrees around the target. If the target double rings OR breaks down in signal strength as the coil passes over it, then the fringe target is 100% iron. You cannot make a fringe nonferrous target double ring on an Equinox. 

Does this apply to Equinox 900? I on an 800 and a 900 is on his way to me...

On 8/15/2022 at 4:01 AM, Badger-NH said:

The idea sounds plausible. I can't wait to try some tests. I wonder if it increases depth on land as well.

That seems to be the general consensus, but IIRC Nasa Tom stated that there's not a true AM mode on the Equinox, and that the horseshoe button just toggles the discrimination pattern.

• Like 3

On 9/22/2023 at 2:51 PM, Airtemisa said:

I confirm that in the EQX900 Beach 2, in ferrous targets, it rings 2 times in cross checking.

Yesterday I received my new equinox 900 😎

If you could change the TID scale to the original EQX scale, I'd buy a 900 in a heartbeat. 

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Cal_Cobra said:

If you could change the TID scale to the original EQX scale, I'd buy a 900 in a heartbeat. 

I,ve been thinking about this for long. If Minelab could give the option for its user to use the extended scale, or the 40 scale, in the configuration of the machine, and send user data options to Minelab when regularly update firmware, so they could have data of the users to watch their preferences, and take the proper decisions.

Anyway, its just to get used to the scale. I mainly hunt by ear, so the scale is secundary.

• Like 1

On 8/24/2023 at 8:25 AM, midalake said:

If the target double rings OR breaks down in signal strength as the coil passes over it, then the fringe target is 100% iron. You cannot make a fringe nonferrous target double ring on an Equinox

Why would deep ferrous targets double beep?  I thought that I almost understood double and triple beeping thanks to Carl's explanations, but that's for the shallow targets of any type... 

7 hours ago, mcjtom said:

Why would deep ferrous targets double beep?  I thought that I almost understood double and triple beeping thanks to Carl's explanations,

I do not know why the Equinox is so good at this? It is not only nails, but round targets as well. Where I hunt there are coins with a ferrous and non-ferrous mix. I can identify them at fringe depths 95% of the time.

It is not only the double beep, but also the breakdown of response. It is a two-prong approach. For those fringe targets that do not double ring, they might have a serious breakdown of response in a 360 degree look. Non-ferrous targets will NOT have a breakdown of signal response on a 360 degree look. 

• Like 2