Strange Silver... Coin Or Jewelry Or Both

I managed to sneak out for a few more hours at the older park that I've been testing the Deus 2 Silver Slayer program at yesterday. I was hoping to score another silver coin and maybe I did... I don't really know for sure.

I've gone back over the area where I found the wheat pennies and a Mercury dime twice and gave it one more pass. The ground was quiet as a church mouse so I decided to hit some nearby areas I haven't covered in a while. For those who haven't followed my previous posts, this site had houses on it from the late 1800s to about 1966. The houses were near a railroad track and generally considered the poor side of town at the time and the tracks and houses were torn down in the 60s to make the park. The park has been continually pounded by detectors for years so I, being late to the party, have had to settle for whatever scraps are left. I have made some interesting finds there with the Equinox and have been using the site to learn the Deus 2, but after trying the Silver Slayer program (thanks again Rattlehead!), my learning curve and the park have opened up for me.

The older area wasn't giving up much except another hord of 21 crusty Zinc pennies (WTH?), so I dug some stronger iron signals for possible relics and pulled up an old air rifle like the kind my mom told me I'd shoot my eye out with. 😁 I also found an old Bakelite lightbulb holder from a lamp, and most of the junk in the top half of the photo, including the lockblade knife.

Time was running out so I headed back across a vacant lot near the park to my car and all of a sudden there were signals everywhere. I hadn't turned on my detector until I had got into the park (lesson learned 😉). I started hitting modern clad coins and then a 1946 nickel popped out. Then I started hitting copper Memorial pennies (1981 to 1966) and a small lion shaped cookie cutter. I also found an arcade token and a smaller corroded copper or bronze coin or token that I can't make out any markings on. Shortly after finding the harmonica reed, I got a smacking 90 on the D2 and thought it might be wheat penny or dime and up comes a small silver filagree ring! 😁

Well I thought that made my day and, as cliche' as it sounds, right before I got to my car I got a slightly bouncy 90-91 signal and pulled a strange silver coin or jewelry piece. It's hard to make out the engraving, but the object is the same diameter as the Mercury dime I found a few days ago and has the same reeded edge but is slightly thinner. This got me wondering if someone made a pendant by grinding down a silver dime and engraving on it. Is that a thing? The engraving looks kind of crude and I think it says Ryan on one side. Anyway I ended up with two more silvers from the old park area so I'm pretty happy about that. 😎

SS3-1.JPEG

SS3-2.JPEG

SS3-2b.JPEG

SS3-3.JPEG

SS3-3b.JPEG

SS3-3c.JPEG

SS3-3d.JPEG

That is what you suspect. A worn dime smoothed off & turned into a charm.

That's what you call a love token,  popular in the late 1800's. They took coins and smoothed them out to make their engraving and gave them to a girlfriend or someone they fancied. Kinda rare, I've only ever dug one. Very cool you should be very proud of that find!! That's what you call one of a kind. Thanks for posting that.

Great stuff again Cap'n. 👍 Spent the day messing with the SS program myself, my finds were not as spectacular. However, I'm searching a very trashy part of a very old place. I did manage to also find a padlock 😀

Cool silvers, doggo got you a great answer. 👍

I really think @Rattlehead has something here for cherry picking the good stuff! For sure iron is rejected very well. (I thought invoking his attention is justified) 👍 Thanks for bringing this to everyone's attention. I don't follow any YouTubers but I do bookmark his videos, have for a while.

That's a pretty cool knife too. 🙂

Thanks F350! I'm glad you got to play with the SS program.😉 I think @NCtoad was one of the first to use it and post his amazing find on here.  It's a keeper for sure and thanks again to Rattlehead! 😎

Nice love token those are rare finds....your kicking it out there. The ring looks old too...gonna try the SS program. 

Strick

Very nice finds once again from your spot.

Good luck on your next hunt and stay safe out there.

Great relic hunt. I like the bb gun or toy gun. Nice silver too. Nice display of the finds and nice sharp photos.

Wow! That is an extremely cool and unique find CPT! After more than 35 years of detecting, I've never found a love token. They're pretty rare! The .925 ring and the other finds are great too! Congrats man!