Deus II Or Equinox 900

Hey TexHunter, all the best from another Colorado hunter. Before you sell Deus 2, you should try the "WS Master" set up.

As palzinski pointed out:

"Deus 2 with 9" FMF coil S stem   ( WS6 headmount or wristmount )  =  26,8 oz"

There is is nothing lighter or easier to swing. It might be a good way to keep on swinging. Just some food for thought.

Here is a good discussion on detector weights by Jeff McClendon (another Colorado hunter)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

I would get the deus 2. I have not had or ever used the eq 900 but have used the first generation eq600. 

The ergonomics and recovery speed of the deus 2 to me makes it worth it. 

It is very light weight and goes deep. 

As far as coil size goes the XP 9 inch coil can keep up with the best of them and goes very deep. 

The large display if the eq series is very nice. 

I like the 0 to 99 tid numbering system if the xp units. 

i am not sure if the new eq 700 and eq 900 do that. 

It just makes it a little easier to cherry pick and sich with a broader number spectrum.

With all of this being said......i sm sure you would be happy with either one of them. 

• Like 2

Now that I have studied the new equinox units a bit more....it does have the expanded id numbering system. 

With that being said.....I did like the original equinox units. 

I have watched a few separation videos between the deus 2 vs eq900. 

I think in similar situations and similar settings the 2 units could go head to head with similar performance. 

I am thinking I may try out an eq900 and trade in my deus 2.....I am very tempted 

• Like 1

On 4/21/2023 at 10:34 AM, bigtim1973 said:

Now that I have studied the new equinox units a bit more....it does have the expanded id numbering system. 

With that being said.....I did like the original equinox units. 

I have watched a few separation videos between the deus 2 vs eq900. 

I think in similar situations and similar settings the 2 units could go head to head with similar performance. 

I am thinking I may try out an eq900 and trade in my deus 2.....I am very tempted 

Tim----That last sentence would be a mistake.-----Get 'em both!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, bigtim1973 said:

Wow, that was quite the 180 over the course of a week.  And just based on a paper and YouTube.  Impressive. :smile:

I have ‘em both.  Haven’t used my 800 much since getting the D2.  Liked what I saw in terms of the improvements incorporated into the 900 and the fact I could use my 800 coil collection so I got a 900.  But reality intervened as there was a loss of ID stability in the 900 compared to the 800 (and certainly compared the Deus 2) as well as more EMI susceptibilty compared to the D2 (a problem the 800 suffered from as well which tended to keep it collecting dust).  D2 still handles ferrous better than the 800 and 900 and I have had no issues with D2 target separation when invoking higher reactivity, as needed.

If you want TID stability with a 100+ TID scale, stick with the D2.  If I was seriously considering trading in the D2 (which I am not) it would be for a Manticore not an Equinox.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Chase Goldman said:

Wow, that was quite the 180 over the course of a week.  And just based on a paper and YouTube.  Impressive. :smile:

I have ‘em both.  Haven’t used my 800 much since getting the D2.  Liked what I saw in terms of the improvements incorporated into the 900 and the fact I could use my 800 coil collection so I got a 900.  But reality intervened as there was a loss of ID stability in the 900 compared to the 800 (and certainly compared the Deus 2) as well as more EMI susceptibilty compared to the D2 (a problem the 800 suffered from as well which tended to keep it collecting dust).  D2 still handles ferrous better than the 800 and 900 and I have had no issues with D2 target separation when invoking higher reactivity, as needed.

If you want TID stability with a 100+ TID scale, stick with the D2.  If I was seriously considering trading in the D2 (which I am not) it would be for a Manticore not an Equinox.

Well.....maybe so...lol!!

However....I am one of those guys that likes to try things out on units. I know what the deus does and so since I took and done some more digging around on the net and watching videos of the controls and such....yes

...I would consider trading off my deus 2 to try an eq 900. 

I cannot say that the emi interference is a good thing at all but here where I hunt the emi is not an issue. 

So yes The deus 2 does have great ergonomics....I did like the eq600 I owned and loved the large display. 

The new ones have a 0 to 99 numbering system....which I really like. 

The deus is supreme in iron. 

But all of the goodies are not always in iron. 

The deus ID numbers lock on pretty good at depth too. 

Heck i would love to have one of everything but finances keep that from happening

• Like 1

I also have a Deus 2  …… it’s no slouch for Park hunting …… 9 inch coil ….at the park today …90 degrees….. under shade trees ……sensitive full tones…. Once you master The Deus 2’s Audio …….&  go over a coin size Target…. Boy do You know it…. …… must be willing to bond with The Deus’s Audio information 

• Like 5

Ok ok... i cant resist.

The depth of the two machines is similar. Beyond that, i dont think there's a category where the equinox is equal to the d2. The d2 is WAY lighter, like not even in the same ballpark. It is more ergonomic. It is way better at the beach. It is more customizable, w lots of advanced settings. The waterproofing actually works w the d2. The d2 goes way way way deeper underwater. The d2 has far superior separation, even w a 9 inch coil being the smallest coil. The d2 is sturdy, ive seen a handful of equinox machines where the console is literally falling apart and taped together. The customer service from xp is superior. The ids on coins are pretty dang spot on every time and when paired with customizable audio, you can really avoid digging junk like zinc pennies.

That's all I've got for now.

• Like 8

13 hours ago, bigtim1973 said:

Heck i would love to have one of everything but finances keep that from happening

I'm not advocating that you have both (and I never suggested it) BTW, just saying that if I were to trade in the Deus 2, it wouldn't be for a Nox.

The new ones have a 0 to 99 numbering system....which I really like. 

Just to be clear, similar to Deus 2, Nox 900 has negative numbers also so the TID scale runs from -20 to 99, FWIW.  Probably what you meant, but my OCD kicked in.  :smile:

But all of the goodies are not always in iron. 

True, but when they are...  Besides, I have not seen anything the Nox can do better than the D2 out of iron other than micro gold sensitivity.  Though I do miss having the 5x10 coil option (the main reason I'm sticking with the 900 as a backup) but the D2 9" round hasn't really been a hindrance in that regard either after 12 mos of swinging D2.

Not trying to change your mind since it appears made up, but just wanted to get those points out there for anyone else considering a similar switch. FWIW.

Also, want to make clear, 900 is no slouch. Even though I personally think it falls short when compared to the D2,  the 900 is a fantastic detector, a net postive experience versus the legendary 800 (what the 800 could have/should have been) and a great choice if you can only have one detector.

Good luck on your final decision and happy hunting.

• Like 2