I Found A Relic Dump In The Woods

I decided to hunt the woods of the property where I work.  I’ve probably mentioned this before, but the property dates back to the early 1900s as a resort/vacation destination for folks coming up from the lowcountry area of South Carolina to the higher, cooler mountain air of the NC mountains.  I was hitting the occasional shotgun headstamp when I came upon an area with a ton of iron signals.  

The old lock was about 12” deep and was ringing up like a silver half.  Also found were two old pocket knives, part of a kerosene lamp, a button (probably from bib coveralls), various shot shell headstamps, a junk ring (probably more modern than the other finds as this area is pretty close to a walking trail), a clad dime and copper memorial.  

The 1903 dime was found on property about a quarter mile away from the other stuff.  I also found a 3 merry widows tin near that dime.  

7637FF3B-CFE0-4536-A54A-ECCDC85BFA5D.jpeg

7B5A9902-24A9-40F8-AAF9-215A31933D49.jpeg

33C7F027-C43E-46C3-B96F-F99E6EC11E1C.jpeg

EB32B1D8-54E5-44E3-884F-F8EB4D09CE82.jpeg

6A420E41-C064-47C2-946D-3B6BC62EDD3C.jpeg

66963496-B3BA-4A28-B151-4289AB41E03A.jpeg

CD932AC6-186D-4DB7-89FA-3BDA20799437.jpeg

AD5B4402-5B6C-4871-B357-7A039E1BE8BA.jpeg

No telling what else might be in the same general area. Some nice finds.

Great find and great finds NC! 👍 Always cool to pick the great stuff out of the trash. Careful in there, probably a lot of glass too. Nice Barber. 🙂

That looks like a fun dig NC you never know what might turn up in a situation like that one.Work it over real good could be some marbles around.

The Barber dime is a great find.... But I Think that old Railroad Lock really shines... That's the neatest thing I've seen In a spell... Is that a Ring next to the lock in the 4th picture??? Is the pick axe head in the 5th picture in decent shape??? I mean... is it too far gone to take a handle???  What does the mashed cup in the 6th picture say???  "merry"  is obvious....  I'm just glad you had a great day sir.... ☺️

1 minute ago, The Pest said:

The Barber dime is a great find.... But I Think that old Railroad Lock really shines... That's the neatest thing I've seen In a spell... Is that a Ring next to the lock in the 4th picture??? Is the pick axe head in the 5th picture in decent shape??? I mean... is it too far gone to take a handle???  What does the mashed cup in the 6th picture say???  "merry"  is obvious....  I'm just glad you had a great day sir.... ☺️

" I also found a 3 merry widows tin near that dime."  Sorry... see it now.... I was having a ball... and missed it earlier....   

Nice spot toad !👍

You found some interesting items. I wonder how the pick was broken ?

I've been trying to dig some of the iron grunts too , at least on the second pass . 

I think it was Momma Gump that said metal detecting is like a box of chocolates , ya never know what you're gonna get ! 

Nice hunt for sure and you came away with some great finds.

Good luck on your next outing.

Excellent hunt, NCt, and a great collection of artifacts! Judging by the collection of "trash" and treasures, it looks to me like you may have stumbled on the location of an old logging, railroad, or other work camp. And congrats on the Barber dime, well done!

Also, I'd like to see a closer shot of that ring, it may be older than you think.