Minelab Equinox 900 Or XP Deus 2 Which Better?

I want to search for gold in the mountains, in the rocks, in the rivers, in the forest, and on the ground.  But I want to search for more share of gold.  Which detector is better, which of these 2 detectors would you recommend?  Or which detector would you recommend?

I don't nugget hunt but from hearing on the forum, the Equinox 900 or Nokta Legend will perform better for nugget hunting. The 6" and elliptical coils are better than the 11" coil on nuggets.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• The title was changed to Minelab Equinox 900 Or XP Deus 2 Which Better?
  • 2 weeks later...
57 minutes ago, bigtim1973 said:

I think I am gonna head back to xp units. Too much chatter from emi on the eq900.

Hey Tim----THANKS A LOT!! :)-----You're the reason I'm going to try out an E900! ha ha------Seriously---I'll give one a try & see what I think of it in my ground.-------Del

• Like 1

I will say this on the deus 2 vs eq900. 

If any of the places you are gonna be detecting in has emi I cannot say I would recommend the eq900. 

After owning a deus 2 and then trading it in for a new equinox 900, xp has it beat in emi prone conditions. 

I am not saying I hate the equinox 900 but I hit an area yesterday that it flat out went bonkers in. The targets were deep too. I had to swap units to continue and the legend performed like a champ in the same environment. 

So I am gonna go back to the XP stuff because of this experience. 

I gave it a fair chance in a few different sites for the time i owned it. But most of the places I detect do not have emi issues. 

However if I didn't have an extra unit with me I would not have been able to cover the area that had the best signals yesterday. 

I am not saying the equinox 900 is a bad unit because it does find stuff but to me for the price it cost, the shielding should be better. 

But you may not have to worry about that while prospecting.

Yeah the experiences of people who don’t nugget hunt are not very relevant to people who want to. There has been quite a bit of discussion about the Deus 2 relative insensitivity to small gold compared to other SMF models. That’s not to say it won’t find nuggets and can’t do just fine on the larger bits, especially in trashy areas. My prospecting buddy is happy with his Deus 2 for that use. But if challenged to find extremely small gold nuggets then there are better options at this time, including the Deus 1 HF combination or the $599 XP ORX, both of which would blow the Deus 2 away on small nuggets. I own a Deus 2 and have a lot of respect for it, but continue to own an Equinox 800 with 6” coil specifically due to this weakness on the part of the Deus 2. If XP were to release an elliptical HF coil option for the Deus 2 it would probably fix the problem, but so far no hints that is going to happen.

• Like 2

Deus has a count down on there website for a new Deus 2 Item ?? …….Maybe a Elliptical HF Coil would be sweet. 

On 6/28/2023 at 7:49 PM, bigtim1973 said:

I think I am gonna head back to xp units. Too much chatter from emi on the eq900.

I am with you on that...the 900 chatter is starting to annoy me.  Hoping(like many others) that a software update will stabilize it,