Swamp Ring!

So I'm out in a park a couple of days after doing the Ring Rescue in a Cemetery and my phone rings. It's my RingFinder buddy, @walkerrj again and he says, "We got another weird one!" Okay, I thought we had topped out the weird meter a few days ago, but he went on to say a couple had an argument and the boyfriend had thrown his girlfriend's promise ring and matching necklace in a swamp. Then the boyfriend apparently got "Thrower's Remorse" and bought a $20 metal detector and tried to find the tossed jewelry with no luck.

He gave me the location which was in a very upscale gated community in a nice part of town and I was thinking, "Swamp? What swamp? There's no swamps in that part of the city." Then he said, "You might want to bring your rubber boots!" Great, I was 45 minutes away from home and all I had was my sneakers and the 11" coil on my Deus 2 for park hunting. I mean how bad could it be, there's no swamps in that part of town, or so I thought. With all the rain we've been having this spring and summer, it turns out there are swamps all over the city now and when I arrived in the gated apartments, there was indeed a large and proper swamp right behind them.

SwampRescue4.JPEG

Richard arrived and whipped out his XP ORX, or as I call it, the Ring Slayer! He has found a staggering amount of rings and this machine is usually his weapon of choice and he's open for business. He talked with the couple and got the details of the throwing incident and we went to work.

I think I can put this hunt into perspective by saying, for those of you who have seen the TV show, the Curse of Oak Island, I now know how Gary Drayton feels when he has to plod around with his detector in their stinky swamp. Maybe that's why he makes the big bucks and we work pro-bono. 😉

SwampRescue3.JPEG

As I entered the quagmire of reeds, cattails, spiders, and other swampland critters, I was immediately swarmed by a large squadron of mosquitoes like someone had just rung the dinner bell. While my shoes filled with sludge and the delightful aroma of rotting bio-matter, I tried to find areas to swing the 11" coil by stomping down reeds around me while realizing I could be just pushing the missing jewelry farther down in the muck. About the time I was thinking this is a lost cause, Richard yells out from the opposite shore, "I found the ring!" What? It was on land? Apparently the boyfriend had managed to clear the swamp on his first throw and the ring was just an inch down in the soft mud of the swamp edge. Unfortunately the necklace had not shared the same fate and after gridding the entire opposite shore and hillside, we could only conclude it landed somewhere in the swamp. I poked around the swamp as best I could and searched the reeds and trees hoping it would be hung up on a branch somewhere, but no luck.

The young lady was so happy to have her ring back, she said she didn't even care if we found the necklace or not. She offered to pay us which we politely declined, so then she said she was an internet influencer and she was going to make us go viral with her millions of followers. I told her that was way better than the last time we went viral and almost ended up in the hospital! 😄

So another ring found and returned. This one was a beautiful little 10K white gold and diamond ring, and although the necklace is still out there somewhere, it may too reveal itself in the future.

SwampRescue2.JPEG

Richard with the "Happy Couple".

SwampRescue1.JPEG

Good story CPT and very good writing.Love those twenty buck beepers!

Wow Cap'n, you guys are on a roll! 🏆

Surprised you didn't lose your shoes, marsh around here eats them. That's one of the first things I learned when I moved here 20 years ago. 😀 The hard way.

Glad you returned the ring at least, maybe the influencer should influence a less dramatic partner. 😁

Wow...you guys have a good track record and I think I would call you if I lost my ring. 😄

Is the social influencer giving dating and marriage advice?  That is quite a hissy fit put on by the guy.  Her followers might tell her to drop him like he did her ring!

Good recovery.

I was using coin fast and factory settings on the Orx.  Rang up as 40 on the screen.  I only got one mosquito bite going thru the "swamp" 🙂  

18 hours ago, walkerrj said:

I was using coin fast and factory settings on the Orx.  Rang up as 40 on the screen.  I only got one mosquito bite going thru the "swamp" 🙂  

Yeah, because they were all on me! So many of the little blood suckers were stuck on me that I looked like a pin cusion!  🤣

• 1 month later...

Great recovery. I've not had much luck when it comes to recoveries in long grass areas. Very lucky it didn't end up deep in the bog!