12x7" Nugget Finder Xceed First Use Impression

phrunt

Ah, some nuggets to break up the skiing.  

That was a great little report.  Is JW going to send his coil back?

• Like 1

I have been waiting to read your take on the NF coil, thanks for taking the time to post in detail. I use my 10 x 5 more than the stock 11. Looking forward to reading about further use but in the meantime you have cured my FOMO.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, mn90403 said:

Ah, some nuggets to break up the skiing.  

That was a great little report.  Is JW going to send his coil back?

Yea, first time gold detecting in a while, Skiing takes over my winter and I've been building a little cabin to store my detecting stuff in, it's almost finished now though just painting and flooring left and that has taken me ages as I'm just no builder so every step took 5 times longer than it would a builder i guess 🙂

I didn't ask if he's going to send it back, I guess now he knows mine isn't bump sensitive in the same spot and same settings he may consider it.

8 hours ago, Wendell Clark said:

I have been waiting to read your take on the NF coil, thanks for taking the time to post in detail. I use my 10 x 5 more than the stock 11. Looking forward to reading about further use but in the meantime you have cured my FOMO.

It's a really good coil, but so is the Coiltek, someone with the Coiltek doesn't overly need to rush out and buy the 12x7" I think, and someone with the 12x7" doesn't need to rush out and buy the Coiltek unless they want the smaller size and are tired of waiting on NF to release their small coil.  

I found I was leaving my 10x5" on almost all the time too, then swinging the 6000 feels no different to a VLF 🙂

I should add I ran the speaker all day, no issues at all, love the EMI fix.

• Like 6

16 hours ago, phrunt said:

The area of the coil outside of the red line marked with the X is completely dead on very small targets, the target needs to get beyond the windings to the inner area of the coil to respond.  I maybe a bit generous with my red line as it seemed with the nose of the coil the gold was under the sticker before it would respond.

This is a bit of a typical spiral coil thing, my 14x9" NF EVO was where I first experienced this with the centre of the coil being the most sensitive area, but I was a little surprised as I hadn't noticed the same on the stock 11" nor the Coiltek 10x5", I'll have to check that now but it means it's not an ideal coil for rocky areas for me with no edge sensitivity on small gold.

The Exceed is a multi-layer rectangular winding....squarish if you like. Its set about an inch into the cel-foam former from the coil shell edge. On mine, the pinpoint ability with tiny targets starts at the inch (25mm) from the edge...roughly where your 'X' is shown. I still think the Exceed is better at EMI rejection than any Coiltek coil. I can get closer to powerlines with perhaps a 25% improvement over all other mono 6000 coils Ive tried. For rocky areas or old diggings, the 10x5 Goldhawk is currently the only coil I use. The Exceed 12x7 is used for ALL other detecting options. This will no doubt change when the 15x10 Exceed becomes available.

• Like 5

11 minutes ago, Aureous said:

The Exceed is a multi-layer rectangular winding....squarish if you like. Its set about an inch into the cel-foam former from the coil shell edge. On mine, the pinpoint ability with tiny targets starts at the inch (25mm) from the edge...roughly where your 'X' is shown.

Yup, the bigger the target gets the better the edge sensitivity gets, as the target is seen at a greater distance from the windings when it gets bigger.  It's just very small gold the coil is dead on the edges.  

I did find my detector ran stable all day, my threshold was mostly good except when too close to the power lines it got a bit wild of course, unfortunately both of my videos were right near the powerlines so my threshold sounds a bit wild in them as I'm in maximum sensitivity too.  I found it a very stable coil. 

I hope the Sadie size windings are slightly different to give edge sensitivity as that's a key attribute to a small coil for me and people with small coils like it are generally chasing the smaller gold.

I'm happy with my purchase, although I only bought it as I was sick of waiting on the Sadie 🙂

• Like 1

I am glad you like the coil, Phrunt, and nice finds! I have not heard anyone not loving it, and it is the most stable one in my coil selection (agreed with Aureous). The reduced edge sensitivity is not a show-stopper IMO and the somewhat off-set windings pick up any small gold at the edge without problem, albeit with a short gradient, as you are pointing out. But yes, the hotspot is about where your X is, all around. It does appear to help a bit with edge-bump sensitivity, perhaps this is why it was designed that way. For me, In full bore (Manual Max/Normal) the Exceed is more stable than the 9 Coiltek and the 11 inch stock comes last. I only go to A+/A if I can't run in high manual, and I noticed that the machine is then throttling down a bit and also gets slightly more erratic (independent of selected coil). It must have to do with the auto-algorithms that kick in, not something that always provides good stability. But at full bore the GPX/NF12x7 combo is almost magic and will find gold where others don't. My Pro-Find 35 will set the machine off every time, and yes it sounds like a police siren, like I got caught claim jumping (I never do...!😉). 

GC

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I think I'll soon record a video to demonstrate what I'm seeing just to clarify when it comes to edge sensitivity.

The Police Siren sound gave me a bit of a fright when it first started 🙂

• Haha 1

A little update, JW may have found the solution to his bump sensitivity, his coil cable was wrapped so the cable was under the shaft near to the coil, so it's possible the detector was picking up the coil cable, today he went back using it and wound the cable differently so the cable was up above the shaft and he didn't get the bump sensitivity.   Fingers crossed the problem is solved.

You can see by habit with VLF's and chance more than anything my coil cable was well away from my coil, so this may explain it.

mycoilcable.jpg.288cde54253edf27f8ef0c969d99aaa6.jpg

Anyway, today he did very well considering the spot is hard to get anything at all, he was only there a few hours and came away with this using his 6000 and 12x7"

jwgold.thumb.jpg.7e1eea8672fa7f52b20c969ff08ca087.jpg

The .06 bit at the bottom was the bit he found yesterday using the GM1000 that we tested on my NF coil to see the lack of edge sensitivity.  I'll do a video demonstrating that soon as I think what I am saying maybe slightly misunderstood.

• Like 3

It appears that your cable too is wound under the shaft, but maybe further back from the coil. If it was wound over the top of the shaft the cable would be even further from the coil. More so when you lay the detector down, flattening the coil to the shaft & cable as in your photo. This can lead to false signals as you lay your detector down.

That is some pretty tiny gold your friend got. Do you know what settings he was running? Thanks.

D4G 

• Like 1