12x7" Nugget Finder Xceed First Use Impression

phrunt

5 hours ago, dig4gold said:

It appears that your cable too is wound under the shaft, but maybe further back from the coil. If it was wound over the top of the shaft the cable would be even further from the coil. More so when you lay the detector down, flattening the coil to the shaft & cable as in your photo. This can lead to false signals as you lay your detector down.

That is some pretty tiny gold your friend got. Do you know what settings he was running? Thanks.

D4G 

Yep, my cable wasn't perfect either but I guess far enough away from the coil to avoid it picking it up, where the cable is going near the coil laying it down it's smack in the coils dead zone for tiny targets 🙂 So maybe that's why it didn't see my cable.

He generally runs in maximum manual sensitivity on every detector so I'm sure he would have been in that.  He's a bit of a guru at finding tiny gold.

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, dig4gold said:

You took the words out of my mouth. I was about to say similar.

Thanks Phrunt. Do you still skateboard?

D4G

Too old for that now, If I stack, I may not get back up again so I took on something a little more placid with skiing and swinging around a beeping screeching stick instead 😛

I don't think the 10x5" suffers from the edge sensitivity issue the 12x7" does, I certainly haven't noticed it, I'll have to bang it back on and check at some point, if it doesn't then it's the clear winner for me as both seem about as sensitive as each other, and the 11" is at least as sensitive as all of them, just runs a bit rougher.

I wonder if the 12x7" will be much deeper than the 10x5", you'd think it would be on some bigger bits, but then again the 11" would be the deepest of the 3 except on small stuff where the smallest coil always wins for that.

• Like 3

If anybody is selling the 12x7. Ill take it. Need another. We are using them on our mines here in Montana and are killing it with them.  We had the 10x5 last year and sold it.  We have another 6000 that I want to put it on. Thanks

I currently have a Coiltek 14x9 Goldhawk for sale but now that I also have a NF 12x7, I am going to have to do more testing between them before letting the CT go…. Has anyone put some time on the CT 14x9 who opted for the NF instead? If so, what was your experience?

• Like 1

I haven't put enough time on my 14x9" to give a proper opinion, I don't even know if it suffers from the same lack of edge sensitivity as the 12x7".  I do know I found it not as sensitive as the 11" and then I decided it's not suitable for my needs, I need sensitivity seeing most of the gold I have a chance of finding is very small so I haven't used it since.

It does run nice and smooth though and works well around powerlines for its size.

• Thanks 1

Too true Dave, when you've got a good 11" mono it's a hard coil to beat for performance, for me personally I like the aftermarket coils for their size and shape more than performance, I've said over and over again the 11" for me is equal to if not better than the aftermarket coils for small gold sensitivity so unless size matters there is no real point getting an aftermarket coil for it when the 11" is likely to be deeper than any available aftermarket coils now on the bigger stuff anyway. 

The only other added benefit is they can be quieter running, how much of that is down to size with a smaller coil receiving less EMI is unknown but it would play a part.  JW himself prefers the 11" over the aftermarkets and he's certainly put the miles on these things.

In your case Dave some coils appear to handle hot rocks better than others, I've seen it a few times now where the Coiltek's appeared better too although noticed that particularly with the 12x7" picking up only one hot rock all day, probably defies logic and it could be that between myself, JW and anyone else had that been detecting in that area they'd all been thrown off into the bushes 🙂 We did see a guy as we were leaving that day with what appeared to be an older GPX model, very rare we see another gold prospector but there he was.  Probably only the 5th time I've seen someone else with a gold detector my entire time detecting.

Minelab has done a great job on the 11", its downfall was the massive number of faults with the product and just general quality issues more so than its performance when it's a good working one.  It's not like the older GPX where many didn't even plug in their Commander and went straight for aftermarket, this time you're not missing much if you run stock.  I think they've got all the 6000's issues ironed out now so anyone with a recent purchase that wasn't old stock like yourself Dave has a really good detector.

• Like 1

On 8/13/2023 at 4:16 AM, phrunt said:

As for the Sphinx 03, quite possibly my favourite pin pointer over-taking my Garrett Carrot AT, just need to make sure it doesn't interfere with the GPZ now.

I’m very glad and relieved to see you say that. After the learning curve it quickly leaped to #1 for me too. I just had to learn how far I could push it or not push it as the case may be. I think I now have it right where it needs to be without running into instability. Dead on the line.