Axiom Head / Lcd Trouble?

Norvic

Bruce Candy and Minelab brought out the vlf GS15000 in 1985 and then the first auto ground tracking GT16000 in 1987, when I was fortunate enough to test the prototype, pulling a couple of hundred ounces with it, so by my calculations Minelab has produced the worlds best detectors for forty eight years.

In 1989 I got to play with the first Minelab pulse induction machine (SD2000 prototype) resulting in a few more hundred ounces.

I had to pay for my first GS15000 up front because in those days they were just starting out and things were tight. In my opinion (for what it's worth) Minelab still produce the best detectors, but have lost a certain amount of the pioneer and revolutionary zeal that they once had. Now they are just another multi national behemoth producing in Asia, with the charisma of a 'pressed rat'.

Absolutely no doubt that Minelab make the best gold detectors IMHO. But there business model has gone to mining the miners. I guess it has always been going that way but none more so than after the GP, GPX series through to the 5000. With the amount of user adjustable control of settings & the huge coil selection offering plug & play to make those detectors the most versatile to suit most detecting situations that we will most likely never see the likes of again.

The 6000 went a bit wayward with its flimsy construction to achieve lightness & its EMI & coil issues that should never have happened to the final released production item but once eventually sorted, electronically proving a wizard on small gold. But again it has taken the after market coils to fill gaps. I guess we should be thankful that Minelab has allowed that. I kind of think there hand was twisted though.

D4G 

The big change came with the Codan takeover and Malaysian production. Shareholders became the priority rather than the customer. All the old crew disappeared to be replaced by hard headed business people, contracted staff, sycophant underlings, and associated 'yes men'. Pretty sad, but a familiar business pattern.

A once inspiring Aussie company, now like so many others that prostrate themselves at the alter of the dollar. 

Hopes of a challenge to what is close to a monopoly have so far ended up 'on the rocks'. No one has managed a leap forward, at best the Axiom may have been the nearest attempt so far.

It wasn't just Minelab Reg, it was pretty much everything, Australia stopped being a manufacturer of goods which it once was and now produce the lowest proportion of stuff-to-GDP in the OECD.

This particular economists take on it is the Aussie dollar went from a very poor performer to a wonder currency on the back of China's boom and Australia's miners selling to China to fuel their boom making the dollar's value very high post GFC, I remember it passing the USD at some point when I was living there, I made some coin on that.  So, with the high Aussie dollar manufacturing overseas becomes very attractive for businesses and the rapidly growing Australian economy with very high wage inflation on the back of the mining boom made it all even worse for local manufacturing.

Australian dollar ‘sinking’ as Chinese economy tanks, how low AUD will go | news.com.au — Australia’s leading news site

Now he sees the Australian dollar on a downfall with China's fall, maybe more local production will make sense again.  

Its s shame they're no longer made in Australia, they've had some recent quality issues that perhaps, maybe, possibly wouldn't have happened if they manufactured locally having more control over what's going on in the production facility.

Garrett on the other hand have resisted the lure of overseas production and remained made in the USA.  I am sure the US has faced similar pressures on production with incomes increasing and the high USD making overseas production very appealing yet Garrett have held on and remained American made, something they should be very proud of as it's increasingly becoming a rarity.

On 8/14/2023 at 3:44 PM, Norvic said:

Please as this threads author I am not interested in this developing into a negative Garret or Manufacturers Bashing Thread. The Axiom is a positive gold magnet magic detector. 

5 minutes ago, Norvic said:

Sorry Norvic for my involvement, my post was more positive than negative, explaining why I think these things happened.  

Thanks for your opinions folks, both the Axiom and the 6000 are great detectors, I do hope that the customer becomes most importment to all manufactures of all equipment and less focus on making the almighty buck, companies have to make money but not at the expence of quality and what the customer wants and needs. I do think there is hope for that in the future. I hope.