Golden Heart Return

I was getting in a quick afternoon detect and was just about to leave when I was approached by a guy about my age I'd say.  He was with a beautiful girl who was his daughter and he asked me if I could help him.

I didn't know.  He told me that his daughter had lost a necklace.  They had been sitting on the sand and it was gone.  I told him I needed to know exactly where they were sitting.  This is what I tell anyone that wants my help.  I need them to mark a line in the sand and I'll detect inside of that area.  Of course many people when they lose something they don't know where they were and he was a bit unsure.

We walked over to his daughter and I asked her what was the necklace made out of.  She said gold.  I asked if it was a very fine chain and she said yes.  I told her that would be harder to find.  Then I asked her if it had a pendant and she said yes, it was a heart and gave me an approximate size.

Now I had to mark off the area where they were sitting and detect it.  As I did this her dad pointed to some additional area near where some other people were sitting but I needed to detect the primary area first.  There was nothing in the square, no coins or trash.

They were naturally disappointed and thanked me for the try but I wasn't done.  I went out a little farther from where they were sitting and went over an area with some dirty sand but it had been disturbed a bit.  I got a wobbly hit and when I scooped up the dry sand, there it was!  

I was about 20 feet away from them and they didn't see me pull it up out of the sand.  (I could have kept it.)  I walked over to the girl (late teens I'd say) and I said is this it?  It was hers.  A nice chain (unbroken) and a 6-7 gram gold heart.  Her dad thanked me and said it had great value to her.  She would be very happy.

He asked if I owed him something and I said no.  I was happy to do it.  I walked away.

Then I thought about it a little bit and I said I wanted a picture of the find.  It might be my only gold this month.  I've found some cheap rings but no gold so far and I got a titanium today, but we all know those leave you more disappointed than anything else.

I'm glad I was able to help.

IMG_20231016_163605_773[1].jpg

Nice work you made her day and we don't need to keep everything we find anyways... pictures are always nice glad you remembered for us lol

strick

Awesome story and return, mn, well done! That earned you some gold karma, so your next hunt should net you some gold for sure! 😎

Gotta love those beautiful girls with their beautiful bling.  Looks like she has lots left to lose!  Nice job.  GaryC/Oregon Coast

Awesome return story M, I hope you cash in on that good karma in the next few days with the Bolaven swell that is forecast to be fairly sizeable.

Always nice to read a good story like this and see the pictures of the finds.

Just next time take the picture with the girls wearing the item and no towel as we all like nice photos.

Good luck on your next hunt.

12 hours ago, Compass said:

..........the Bolaven swell that is forecast to be fairly sizeable.

I'm looking at that one ^ ^ too.   But alas, from the NW .  Hence less effect on west & SW facing beaches.  And short-lived sweep across the coast.  I don't see it doing much erosion, but ... I might give it a looksie by Thurs. PM's low tide where I'm at, in the Monterey bay area.