Nugget Finder Z-search 3 Different Version Coils?

Hi Gerry,

We have sold all three versions of the NF 12" Z Search and the Black one is the newest.  The question has came up several times, about is there any performance difference on the new vs. older versions.  I have used two versions, the first and last (black) and never seen any difference in performance, EMI or such.  I heard it was all about UV, and the black does not get as hot or transfers heat better, which I would of thought it would be just the opposite.  I heard about possible cracking, but have yet have anyone that purchased from us have any cracking.

Hope this helps a bit.  

Rob

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

A quick google from Prospecting Australia.

I'm sure it's just the heavy-duty full-time users, but it was corrected in later versions, they specifically told people who had them replaced the plastic was changed.

1642506304_271759792_1380863139037077_658940116912090048_n.thumb.jpg.8ce3d6958297d73cfd36d6adceda9574.jpg

1642506304_271799311_328010872507229_1717703982789007070_n.thumb.jpg.372e189ea30d8819239c3e7191b2e477.jpg

1642506304_271985536_471707807953548_4756543037649472408_n.thumb.jpg.d742a1a1cef33a51510c3c5fb2193cd5.jpg

The problem is resolved though, no new owners have had an issue that I've seen.  And a quote from the owner of this coil at the time, "It turns out that Rohan from Nugget Finder saw this post and reached out to me offering to replace the plastic with a thicker black plastic.
Now that is what i call great customer service! Extremely happy and thankful with this result."

There is a very fine line between making a coil as light as possible and making it robust.  It's not an unusual problem by any means, you can make a coil very tough, but it will be heavy.  I wonder what the weight difference is between a first version and a latest version, would be an interesting thing to see.

• Like 4

On 11/14/2023 at 4:48 PM, Gerry in Idaho said:

Was it purchased for a USA Dealer?  If so, how long ago? Thanks for chiming in Strick.

Yes @klunker got it from Rob if I'm not mistaken.. within the last couple months...I had wanted a black version as soon as I seen one but only grey was available and since I already have too many detectors and coils and no time to use them I've been sitting idle..apparently the coil is hard to come by for some reason...which is kinda strange...

strick

• Like 2

Weired though that they removed it from their website. This has been a very popular coil and most of the other gpz owners I know have one too.

GC

• Like 2

On 11/15/2023 at 10:14 PM, Rob Allison said:

Hi Gerry,

We have sold all three versions of the NF 12" Z Search and the Black one is the newest.  The question has came up several times, about is there any performance difference on the new vs. older versions.  I have used two versions, the first and last (black) and never seen any difference in performance, EMI or such.  I heard it was all about UV, and the black does not get as hot or transfers heat better, which I would of thought it would be just the opposite.  I heard about possible cracking, but have yet have anyone that purchased from us have any cracking.

Hope this helps a bit.  

Rob

Rob,  Thanks for chiming in as I know you are one who sells them.  I appreciate you answering my questions as Steve H and I think alike on many things and when us old time swingers see change, we've known a few times for actual upgrades or updates to the product, but as he mentioned, the manufactures don't want to panic owners of old and potential buyers of new...until they get their shelves cleared.  Not saying this is the case with NF, as I know they are a solid long term company.  You/I and anyone in the know (including NF) realize coil color can be affected by UV over time.

I'm hearing some mention of the grey one but I've yet to see it?

The white one I was fortunate to run was very impressive for performance to smaller gold, as expected.  The only downside I notice is the actual material used for the cover.  The plastic makes an annoying high scratchy sound when slid across the ground and the hollow echo drives me a little batty too.  Funny how some plastics are smooth and quiet, but wear out soon and others are harder to last longer but then make more noise.  Is the black coil and cover of the same type material of the earlier versions or hopefully that was part of the change?

Now for the biggest question of all?  Why does NF not have these coils on their website?  If you think about it and the age of the GPZ-7000 (9 yrs old), it's certainly on it's way out.  Is NF just trying to move the last of their inventory before we get updated with a totally new super lite and ergonomically designed $10K GPZ...whatever it will be GPZ-7500 or GPZ-8000?  Again, it's kind of disturbing for someone who is on the fence about dropping over a $1000 for a coil that's had 3 changes in such short time and the actual manufacture does not even promote it on their site?  I'm ok with change, updates and improvements.  I'm not really keen on the manufacture not showing the Z-search coils on their own site.  Have you heard why?

Again, thanks for your time and letting us know the black is the newest.  Do you have them in stock?

• Like 4

Minelab is getting ready to raise the price of the GPZ 7000, which would be very odd if it was going to be discontinued any time soon. There was also zero mention of upcoming new machines in the latest Codan shareholder report just released. Anyone looking for a new GPZ 8000 in 2024 might be disappointed.

• Like 4

On 11/17/2023 at 7:05 AM, Gerry in Idaho said:

The plastic makes an annoying high scratchy sound when slid across the ground and the hollow echo drives me a little batty too.

That is caused by the air gap between the bottom of the coil and the coil cover. I used some gaffers tape to stick the inside of the coil cover to the bottom of the coil and voila! Way better now.

• Like 5

32 minutes ago, Lunk said:

That is caused be the air gap between the bottom of the coil and the coil cover. I used some gaffers tape to stick the inside of the coil cover to the bottom of the coil and voila! Way better now.

I solved that air gap noise with an X of very thin insulation foam that didn't add to the gap between the coil cover and the coil itself. I have been pretty aggressive with the coil (a white one) and except for high wear on the coil cover, there are no cracks or problems with the coil  itself.
And as well as being excellent for small gold it also seems to have very good depth sensitivity for its size. 

• Like 5

3 hours ago, flakmagnet said:

I solved that air gap noise with an X of very thin insulation foam that didn't add to the gap between the coil cover and the coil itself. I have been pretty aggressive with the coil (a white one) and except for high wear on the coil cover, there are no cracks or problems with the coil  itself.
And as well as being excellent for small gold it also seems to have very good depth sensitivity for its size. 

I do a similar thing with all my coils as well. Double sided tape, which has a very thin layer of foam with sticky stuff either side. I make a large X inside the coil covers then peel the backing off and fit to the coil. Followed by electrical tape around the coil edge to seal from dust and moisture. Makes a big difference. Fairly easy to remove the double sided tape with a bit of scraping with a small blunt paint scraper  when I take cover off for a clean and service.  Started doing this on my 14" coiltek elite when it became noisy,  almost threw it in the bin thought it was stuffed. It became very touch sensitive, not bump sensitive, making noises just by brushing against grass ect. I put it down to static electricity from the plastics rubbing together. Whether that was the cause or not I don't know,  but definitely made a big difference. They seem to run way smoother and quieter. Might all be in my head, but as we all know confidence is the key to successful prospecting. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Forgot to mention that years ago I read somewhere to wash the coils and covers with a little bit of dishwashing liquid and water to reduce static electricity. Not sure if that helps either but keeps them looking like new. After rinsing with clean water I then let them air dry before reassembly. I don't dry with a cloth as I think rubbing the plastic with a dry cloth would only create more static electricity. Again only speculation on my part.

• Like 3