Minelab Safari And Vanquish 540

Dean Stone

I haven't swung a Safari in 8 years. I don't remember enjoying it too much since I wanted something lighter and faster as far as target recovery speed. It detected just OK where I live in moderate to higher iron mineralization.

I really like the Vanquish models as long as the targets in the area aren't too close together, there isn't too much deep iron and the ground mineralization is moderate to mild. They can handle worse iron mineralization but I needed to reject the lowest iron target IDs on the 440 and 540 in order to stop the constant ground noise. Otherwise, they did very well here. The Vanquish models with their biggest coil on normal ground have a ton of depth. They also have some of the most rock solid non-ferrous target IDs in the industry. Good ergonomics, nice controls and at least with the 440 and 540, everything a person needs in a budget friendly detector. As long as I don't expect them to detect like the best VLF SMF detectors Minelab currently makes for 3 to 4 times the price, they end up being super effective and really fun detectors.

Other than the Safari and the Vanquish models being made by Minelab and also having simultaneous multi frequency technology.........no, I don't think they "are about the same" at all. Multi IQ is a big improvement over the Safari's simultaneous multi frequency technology from the early 2000s where I detect. I would pick a Vanquish 440 or 540 over a Safari everyday, every hour, every time.

• Like 1

Safari is old FBS, excellent on silver, just ok on low conductors. Does very well suppressing ferrous but at cost of poor separation/masking. Vanquish is Multi-IQ, near Equinox performance on most stuff, superior on low conductors and separation, but maybe a little more prone to high tone ferrous falsing. Nothing wrong with Safari per se for depth on silver in particular. The biggest advantage for Vanquish would be in separation and small low conductors.

• Like 3