A New Concentric Coil Coming For The Earlier GPX 4500/5000 Series From X-coils

phrunt

1 minute ago, Redz said:

Sorry, not what I meant. I meant was that retail cost or your price for shipping that one to you

Yes, that will be the retail price including the express shipping.

• Like 2

No, I don't at the moment sorry, I'll have it soon and give all the details of it once it arrives.  I'll also test it out on hot rocks that other coils and detectors struggle with to see how it performs in various timings and if it maintains good sensitivity while in them.  I'll take a photo on the scales, that's the best way.

The other thing I want to do is go to the black sand beaches and see how it goes there and see how that compares to the DD I have been using so I'll get some video of it doing various things.

• Like 1

The price is more or less what I expected.  It is in the price range of nuggets finder coils, although a little high compared to detech coils.  The xcoil costs the same as the 15 dd spiral coil plus the 18 concentric coil

• Like 1

Phrunt, I am not clear on the benefits of this new x coil for the gpx models of the past. As far as I understand it it will be better with EMI, hot rocks, and such to to it being a concentric coil. Since proto types have been made, has the manufacturer tested them out in the field on real targets situations and has it performed better then its counterparts from other manufacturers such as nugget finder and coiltek? I mean 500 bucks these days for anything is a chunk of change, and performance is key for many of us before we decide to part away from our hard earned dollars. I mean if we have and I am sure many of us do run the nuggetfinder Evo coils on our older gpx models, why would we chose to buy an x coil? It would be nice if x coils actually proves its better on emi, hot rocks and best of all depth. In my areas hot rocks are not a problem, not is EMI most of the time. And the evolution coils do just fine. Of course getting a few more inches on smaller targets would be enough convincing for me to buy an x coil, but not until I see proven results. 

I guess like everything time will tell, I've never seen any manufacturer "prove" anything in the way you're describing, many have made quite bold claims too.   I'll obviously be putting mine through it's paces, trying it out around and under power lines and I'll put some videos up of that sort of thing,   I did something similar with my 11" Coiltek AI coil, it's a real shame they discontinued that coil

Detech have made larger size Concentric coils for the GPX series but theirs aren't spiral, so you could look to what people thought of them for a general idea.  I am guessing one of the things you may like about the EVO coil is its spiral windings or else you'd be swinging an older advantage coil and I guess most felt the same as the Advantage range was discontinued to make way for the spiral Evo's.

I think it's best to just sit and wait and let others test them out and report on their findings seeing you're already happy with your Evo and the things that this coil may benefit are not an issue for you like hot rocks and EMI.   People who want to buy them will so they'll report findings too over time.

What I think is cool in mono mode it's a 15" round spiral coil, flick to DD mode and it's a concentric coil.

• Like 4

The advantage is you have a 15 inch mono spiral coil, and if you hike over very bad ground, hot ground or emi gets really bad you can switch to concentric. No carrying extra coil separately. Of course there will be extra weight, which will be the real tradeoff.

• Like 2

I'd like to have one to compare it to my 15" Z coil.

At the time I was using my 5000 I was not seeking 'small' gold so I'm sure I also missed deep gold unless it screamed at me.  But that brings up a subject for a different thread.

What was I hearing and what was I missing?

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

It arrived! It achieved the impossible too, the last day of postage was yesterday (Friday) and it arrived in the country the day before and had to move between Islands and landed on the South Island where I live yesterday which was Friday then had to travel down from the airport 6 hours away to me, our last day of mail delivery before Christmas was yesterday so I'd likely have to wait until the New Year.  Today being Saturday has no post yet the nice courier thought she would do a Saturday run as she had so many parcels that it made sense to deliver them before Christmas in-case they are Christmas presents so she worked a Saturday by choice.

Of course, that made me happy as I was hoping to take the coil away with me as I'm heading off in a few days for a few weeks and will be doing some prospecting and coin/jewellery hunting on my trip, so it couldn't have been better timing.

IMG_1419.thumb.jpg.cf802538a77482a67068f6a4124a12d2.jpg

IMG_1420.thumb.jpg.56ac37771fb9833d481ffa2cce4f65e2.jpg

Now to see how this puppy runs on my GPX 5000.

• Like 4
  • Oh my! 1