Steve Herschbach

Determining Where To Prospect For Gold Nuggets?

Ask that question on any other forum and the only answer you will get is "do your research".  Steve, that is a great post, simply outstanding.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Thanks hawkeye. My goal these days is to try and craft extremely detailed answers at one location. All future questions on the same subject then get aimed there. It means more work upfront, but saves tons of time later. And the one answer can be tweaked, tuned, and updated. Having it be part of a thread where others can contribute their own details makes it even sweeter. From now on people who email me or PM me questions can expect to get this sort of online genericized response. I spend way too much time answering the same email question over and over so this solves that issue for me. "teach a man to fish...."

I enjoy stuff like this - it makes me think it through and I inevitably find new resources for myself in the process.

My post is aimed at the U.S. To get started in Australia

Historical Gold Mines in Google Earth

Australian Mines Atlas

Western Australia Mines and Mineral Deposits

• Like 3

Steve, you must type as fast as my wife-she was a legal secretary, with fingers fast as lightning!

Pieter "Heydelaar" wrote a book for Fisher about the original gold bug. Successful Nugget hunting vol one.  He included many placer areas with directions...that was where I got my start...similar books by Jim Straight and Chris Ralph have references too.

I found being on the ground to see old drywash piles and other gold areas gave me clear ideas of desert placers...mountain areas with trees and things are a lot different.

fred

• Like 3

Yes....Defiantly look where gold has been found before. It cant get any easier than that.  Might sound crazy as you may think it too obvious, there will be no gold left as the old timers would have got it all & cleaned the places out. NOT SO as no one gets all the gold. Even today with detectors. . The old timers methods were often not that thorough & often lost a lot of gold out their sluice box's with poor gold catchment or too aggressive water flow. What they did do was wash off most of the overburden down to & exposing the bed rock. Perfect for detecting as the old timers couldnt see the gold caught up down in the bed rock cracks & crevices that they were missing. What the eye didnt see the heart didnt grieve over.

If the land hasnt been too modified from the old timers workings then you can use google earth to do a "fly" over & check places of mining activity. We have here in New Zealand an online site called "Papers past & present". A fantastic tool for researching old gold rush day info. It is the factual reports from back in the days of the gold discoveries & often the reporter went to "site" to report the going ons & results.

Out side of "knowing" where to go now.....you need to learn your detector. That is almost the biggest challenge for a new to detecting person.

What Steve has posted above is absolutely awesome & you should now be in no doubt of where to "look"

Good luck out there

JW :smile: 

• Like 2

I wish  could read as fast a Steve types...I am now convinced there are two Steve Herschbach's...one that types the computer and one that hunts for gold! 

strick

• Like 1

Once gain Steve you have gone above and beyond expectations.....

This is without a doubt the best forum on the net.... Kudos'.

• Like 1

Two fingers, maybe 14 words per minute tops. My speed and accuracy has really gotten screwed up typing with one finger on my phone or iPad combined with spell check doing a number on me at times. As slow as I am I have to slow down more. I tend to bang stuff out, post, and go back and edit later. Sloppy!

Thanks for the kudos, the warm fuzzies make the effort worthwhile!

• Like 4

Hey Steve,

Thanks for all the hard work and effort you put into this post as well as this great forum! I feel I am one step closer to that first nugget. 

Fringe areas, that is areas just outside known producing areas, same geology, little rubbish but that is where it has been at for me for last 20 years. Takes some persistence, faith and patience to go weeks without a piece but when you hit it     ..............Wow..............

• Like 8

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By geelong guy
      hi guys and gals i have been interested in gold for years but so far no luck have read heaps of books ect dont need x marks the spot but some advice on how you guys have found your bits and bobs im hoping to retire next year and chase some gold up at talbot in victoria an old friend has just bought a home there thanking you all happy hunting
    • By softhorse
      Good mornin' y'all-
      I have done several hours of solid research this morning about lode staking and I have not found conclusive answers to theae two questions yet. These questions are only for the initial time you actually discover the lode area and place the monument on the diacovery, before sending in any paperwork/filing forms/fees, etc. If you have any experience with these specific areas of lode claim staking here in CA, I would very, very much appreciate any advice, experience, and or details you have to share. Thank you very much for your time, experience, and your help. 
      1. Does the discovery monument need to have a written/filled-out notice of discovery paper/sign attached to the actual monument or posted anywhere around it on day-1, or, does it simply just have to be a bare monument with no posted notice/wtitten sign?
      2. If a written/filled-out notice of discovery paper/sign is required on the center monument at the initial staking of said Lode claim, do I need to list my personal address of residence with my full name posted on the sign? I'd like to maintain whatever privacy I am allowed to keep while also following all of the related rules/regulations/laws. I do not have a separate business set up that I could put on the sign either.
      Thanks again and have a rockin' day!
      Kevin
    • By mn90403
      Several of us on this forum belong to clubs.  Some of us hunt those claims in addition to others.  The thought has occurred to me recently that when we talking about hunting on club claims here that someone in Australia and even New Zealand might not know what we are talking about.
      When I was in Australia I had a map of the public forests and some were open for detecting and some were not.  You could get State information about likely gold spots in addition to previously mined spots.  There are thousands and thousands of open acres.  If you could hook up with a tour or trainer they could give you the pointy finger about where to go.  I was mostly on my own and it showed!  haha  Just because you don't find gold it is not because it has been over hunted.  I'd have to say that most of my time in Victoria I was detecting in spots where there was no dig holes.  Bendigo was an exception.  My point is that someone can go to open land without being a 'club' member.  That can be good and bad in reality.
      I'm not going to attempt to name all clubs (there are dozens now down from hundreds I think) and how long they have been in existence (Some since the 60s) but it would 'level the playing ground' when we talk about missed nuggets on a club claim vs open land.  The largest club in the United States is the Gold Prospectors Association of America.  Members pay an annual fee and they are given a directory of club claims.
      https://www.goldprospectors.org/testpage/GPAAClaimDirectory
      This is the history:
      https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gold_Prospectors_Association_of_America
      There is still gold on the GPAA claims.  Some claims are not as old as others and some just have missed gold still on them.  Some are severely depleted from dry washing and detecting for all of these years.  Some of us use the claims as a jumping off spot to look for other gold.
      My point in bringing it up is to show how much real pressure and detecting there can be on certain spots that once had gold.  There are three different clubs claiming land in Gold Basin.  Sometimes these club claims bring detectorists together for just a weekend and other times it can be for most of a winter season.  Day trippers are frequent.  It would be very difficult to estimate the number of detectorists over the years that have swung on any particular patch of club claim.  Let's say hundreds on a conservative estimate and thousands on the high end.
      Fortunately for Gold Basin there has been a lot of gold and also a lot of land to look for it.  Each time a new detector comes out then the patch has become a bit more lively again as what has happened with the Z.  I've found more nuggets with my Z in Gold Basin than I did with my GPX but many people before me dry washed, sluiced and detected big nuggets with beginning detectors.  Club members have been generally good over the years about sharing information.  Membership enforcement is spotty so there are 'jumpers' added to the numbers even tho dues are generally under $50 per year.
      There are many other groups and clubs other than GPAA.  Perhaps we should have a thread or a forum that gives some sort of description of different clubs.  Maybe one already exists.
      The clubs exist for the most part on public land.  They stake a claim based upon a member knowing and wanting to share that location with others.  Otherwise it would be a private claim or private land (like Jason's) just as they have in most of the US, Australia and New Zealand I imagine.  There is some discussion now if a 'club claim' is legal under the mining laws.  Generally claims are limited in size and number of people or entities.  Many club locations are a lease to make access legal.  All of this is designed to get as many people as possible to join.  Many are non-profit groups.
      Many club members have abused the land with open dig holes, destroyed access roads and being generally trashy.  Some clean up.  Each of the clubs have key people who have recently gotten very old and clubs are getting smaller.  Oldtimer knowledge is leaving as the numbers dwindle.  Many of them have never posted a letter on an internet forum like this one.  They were private people.  They would never show their gold here.
      That brings up another idea.  Someone should or may go to some of these miners and write a story about each of them.  It is kinda like doing stories about the veterans of the wars.
      Well, this is the beginning ramble.  I hope that many of you who have a hankering to ramble about clubs and people tell those stories in this thread to keep their memories alive.  This will help us to know who the miners and detectorists were that came before us.
    • By mn90403
      Most of us don't have a geology degree but it would probably help when we are out detecting and doing research.  Geology has a language laced with time periods that I've never taken the time to learn so this is going to be a ramble.
      This is a chart which can help us to know history and geology and place the events which formed our detecting areas into the puzzle.  We can then use plate tectonics to help us know how our region got to where it is today and understand the mountains and folds in the earth's crust.
      How do we tell the difference between geologic ages?
      http://www.stratigraphy.org/index.php/ics-chart-timescale
      One article I read said: On Earth, gold finally reached us some 200 million years after the formation of the planet when meteorites packed with gold and other metals bombarded its surface. During the formation of Earth, molten iron sank to its centre to make the core. This took with it the vast majority of the planet’s precious metals — such as gold and platinum. In fact, there are enough precious metals in the core to cover the entire surface of Earth with a four-metre thick layer.
      https://www.zmescience.com/science/how-gold-is-made-science-064654/
      And then came the plates!
      Tectonic Plates’ Patterns Revealed
      https://www.livescience.com/38819-plate-tectonics-patterns.html

Can someone that knows this stuff make it more simple?  haha  I mean where did the gold in Arizona, Nevada, California, Australia and New Zealand come from in a geological time frame (the beginning we know from the star or stars) and then the weathering has come into play.  I guess every local Mining College has people working on that so that professional miners are more successful than the rest of us.
      Clay, are you reading this?   The topic is too big so old timers learned from each other and passed along their knowledge of specific deposits and veins.  The USGS and satellite imagery are probably now the tools in use and maybe we as detectorists could get a drone?
      Mitchel

• By GotAU?
      Hello, I am using an iPad as a topo map when I’m out in the field, and also GoogleEarth, and have already downloaded the BLM’s active and inactive gold mine and prospects KML database for Google Earth and was wondering if anyone has found a good source for downloading BLM and/or National Forest KML files? I only seem to have found some local ones for Alaska on the BLM map server website, but nothing for any of the lower Western states. Thanks!
    • By cool riverr
      Just in case any body wants to get real serious, this is available...
      https://goldcountry.craigslist.org/reb/d/calpine-high-production-gold-mine-in/7083442664.html
      That sure is some pretty gold.